Complaint Review: DNA Plus

• Updated: Sun, November 20, 2011

• Reported By: displeased — United States of America
DNA Plus
21704 Devonshire St., Suite 303 Chatsworth, California United States of America

DNA Plus charges $1,249 for a fraudulent DNA pre-natal paternity test Chatsworth, California

*Consumer Comment: DNA Plus not legitimate

*Consumer Comment: Good experience with DNA PLUS

*Author of original report: Re: Expensive lesson

*Consumer Suggestion: Expensive lesson

When the pregnancy was around 12 weeks, I made several inquiries to DNA Plus about their fetal cell prenatal paternity test. Phone calls to a Dr. Barry and a Bruce seemed overly casual, off-the cuff, and awkwardly timed. E-mail responses were choppy and similarly casual. I should have known by the impersonal way that DNA Plus communicated with customers that this was not a professional operation.

Nevertheless, because the pregnant mother refused to do an invasive CVS or amniocentesis, and because the DNA Plus site claimed that their non-invasive fetal cell prenatal paternity test was reliable, we moved forward with DNA Plus. I made my $200 deposit and paid the remaining balance of $1,049 ten days later.

A red flag went up when my credit card payment needed to be made to Rebel Productions. Another red flag went up when I learned that DNA Plus has to make up a story about a research project in order to get hospitals to make appointments and draw blood for their customers.

At 14.5 weeks, as scheduled, we went to the hospital for the blood draw. We had the blood sample spun, packaged with my cheek swab and all the paperwork, and shipped off to a lab in Canada in a pre-addressed Fed Ex envelope.

In the three weeks between the test and results, I did some more research on DNA Plus. Turns out that their prenatal paternity test is not accredited by the AABB, the governing body over DNA-based paternity tests, and the results do not stand up in court. I found many unfavorable reviews from DNA Plus customers, some saying that their results were unreliable and others saying that DNA Plus was an outright scam operation. I also learned that the technique of collecting viable fetal cells from maternal blood is theoretical and experimental. The research studies on the DNA Plus web site, when the links work, only seem to confirm this.

The results from DNA Plus stated that I cannot be excluded as the biological father of the fetus, which according to their web site, meant there was a 99+% chance I was the father. I contacted DNA Plus, asking them if this in fact meant that there was a 1% chance I was NOT the father. Their reply suggested that the 1% inaccuracy is caused by people mislabeling samples and not from flaws in their scientific technique. My samples and files, according to DNA Plus, were clean and in order. I was the father.

This was an unfavorable result for me, and the next six months would be the most difficult in my life.

The baby was eventually born with a blood type that makes my paternity a genetic impossibility. A subsequent DNA test with the other alleged father confirmed his paternity.

I sent DNA Plus a long letter requesting they refund my money for the inaccurate and likely fraudulent test. After responding with a series of poorly constructed arguments, they refused.

I filed a dispute with my credit card company over the charge. After submitting the results showing another man as the father, I successfully had the charge reversed and got my money back. But no amount of money can make up for six months of emotional distress.

DNA Plus is playing an unbelievably selfish, careless, and dangerous game in an effort to make a few bucks. Spread the word.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/06/2011 03:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DNA-Plus/Chatsworth-California-91311/DNA-Plus-charges-1249-for-a-fraudulent-DNA-pre-natal-paternity-test-Chatsworth-Califor-761852. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DNA Plus

DNA Plus not legitimate

AUTHOR: Wallace - (United States of America)

I am going to be filing my own report to add to this soon. But I notice how almost every female filing a complaint gets a comment about being promiscuous and every male filing a complaint receives a lecture on utilizing contraception. Now, we've got people adding comments in favor of DNA Plus. I suspect all are just DNA Plus themselves.

They are a dirty outfit and once they have your money, you WILL NOT get any of it back. The prenatal fetal cell test is completely bogus. Seriously, DO NOT pay for this test. The results will be wrong and they will STILL claim that it's 99+% accurate. This is fine for most everything EXCEPT DNA testing where you will be matched as the baby's father by them and then when you have a legitimate test done by an accredited lab after the baby is born, you will be ruled out as the father.

Instead of wasting your time, money and whatever remaining emotional strength you might have left on trusting them, just wait until the end of the first trimester and then tell your family of the possibility that you'll be having a surprise baby. After the baby is born, take buccal samples of the mother, baby and yourself and send it to an AABB accredited lab. I paid around $190 including 3 day processing (+FedEx overnight shipping) and had my results in less than a week. And they completely contradicted DNA Plus's results.

Good experience with DNA PLUS

AUTHOR: Philippe - (United States of America)

My experience with DNA Plus was smooth so I felt like I should write a comment here. Had I read the reports on this website before, I probably would NOT have used DNA Plus's services. I was an Alleged Father who was put through the paces by my pregnant ex-girlfriend who was looking to determine paternity. It ended up that she wanted child support from me as I was the highest income earner of the 3 Alleged Fathers. I was super freaked out so I looked for paternity testing services which she finally agreed to. After searching the Web I called DNA Plus. They were very helpful, informative and did everything they promised. No mix-ups, no hassles. It was a very stressful situation but they made me feel reassured and pretty confident abut the whole procedure. I also called another DNA testing service back in Ohio but their cost was higher and you had to use their lab. My ex-girlfriend lives in California so it was less of a run around and more private for her to see her own Dr. In fact, that's pretty much why she agreed to the test because she was able to go to her regular Dr. Anyway, I had a good experience with this company and at the end of the day I was NOT included as a possible father. Everything worked out fine for everyone.

Re: Expensive lesson

AUTHOR: displeased - (United States of America)

I did use protection, but the results from DNA Plus saying I was the father makes that irrelevant.

Thanks for the intelligent remark.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Expensive lesson

AUTHOR: Susan - (USA)

A box of condoms and double wrapping your boy would have cost less.