Complaint Review: DR Power Equipment

• Updated: Thu, October 22, 2009

• Reported By: Mark — Dallas Texas USA
DR Power Equipment
75 Meigs Rd Vergennes, Vermont United States of America

DR Power Equipment Country Home Products Does not work as advertised and told by telephone sales person Vergennes, Vermont

The "Walk-behind Lawn Vacuum" does not have the sucking volume as promoted. I am returning it but it still is costing me $300 for the shipping and the bio-filter bags.

I was seeking a vacuum that could suck the acorns off of my lawn. I read the promotional material which advertised that this machine could do so. I then called the company to tell them what i wanted to accomplish and was told that it could easily suck up the acorns. We discussed the different models and i settled on  purchasing a re-conditioned (10% savings for a reconditioned machine) self-start walk behind lawn vaccuum. I also paid the shipping which was approx. $250.00.

First, I recognize that reconditioned is not new, but when it arrived it looked relatively used. The wheels were a bit worn and there was debis left in the bag; however, this was no big deal as i was excited to have the machine solve my problem.  I prepared the machine as instucted. It started relatively easy. I took the machine to the lawn and it did not suck the acorns. I then took it to my concrete walkway to vacuum acorns on the hard surface...it only picked up about 1/3 of the nuts and none that were in the crevices. Within a few minutes the engine then decelerated on its own. I worked with the gas lever but no response in increasing the power back up. I shut it off. The next day I started it again and had a repeat of the same experience except that the engine shut itself off after a few minutes.  It restarted but the power level didn't seem to be at its peak.  I decided i wanted to return the machine as it was not doing as i was told or advertised; and, i wasnt about to start dealing with a mechanic on the engine on a new purchase.

On 10/22/09 I called customer service to return the machine and they told me i had to speak to technical support. I spoke to technical support with my frustration and he asked "what do i want to do" and i responded, "return the machine if it is not going to perform the way i was told". He said, i needed to speak with customer support and transferred me back. Customer Service was prepared to take the machine back but I also explained to her that they should pay for all shipping(approx. $500 roundtrip) since the machine did not perform as advertised or i was told. She told me that they dont pay the shipping as explained in their sales literature. After quite a bit of insistance, they agreed to pay for the return shipping only. I told her that i was in disagreement and that they should reimbuse me for all the shipping  but I gave up as was sick of debating.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/22/2009 10:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DR-Power-Equipment/Vergennes-Vermont-05491/DR-Power-Equipment-Country-Home-Products-Does-not-work-as-advertised-and-told-by-telephone-513214. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DR Power Equipment