Complaint Review: DR Power Equipment

• Updated: Wed, July 11, 2012

• Reported By: SF — Park City Utah United States of America
DR Power Equipment
75 Meigs Road Vergennes, Vermont United States of America

DR Power Equipment Division of Country Home Products Does not honor six month customer satisfaction warranty (advertised on web site) Vergennes, Vermont

*General Comment: DR Power Wagon Problems

*Author of original report: DR Power Equipment agreed to take back the Powerwagon (the subject of my complaint)

I purchased a DR Powerwagon  Pro 6.75 (with electric start) from a DR dealer in Utah. At age 72 I was hoping that this product would make life easier for my wife and I and make gardening that we enjoy a bit less physically taxing for us. The Powerwagon is depicted on the company's website moving a load of logs up a sloping surface. The description states that Powerwagons  are "...packed with plenty of muscle, they power up hills, charge through mud and move up to 800 lbs of just about anything." In my experience, this description could not be further from the truth. When I attempted to run the machine up even a 5%-10% grade, with the bed empty or loaded, the wheels simply spun and dug into the ground. To get a load up any slope required two people to aggressively push the DR Powerwagon to stop the wheel spinning--more effort than would have been required to move the material by hand in a wheelbarrow. On flat surfaces, if the wheels encounter even small obstacles (rocks, sticks etc.), they began to spin as well.

I returned the item to the local dealer shortly after purchase and requested a refund based upon the company's advertised "six month customer satisfaction warranty." The dealer contacted DR Power and was told that because I purchased the Powerwagon from a dealer, and not direct from DR Power Equipment, they would not honor the six month customer satisfaction warranty. When I contacted DR Power myself I was told that the dealers are independent from the parent company and they set their own warranty terms and I should have contacted the company directly before buying the item locally. I told them that their advertised six month customer satisfaction warranty does not mention that it is only valid if purchased directly. Their only reply was that is was my fault for not checking with them first before buying it from the local dealer. I am now out $2,400 and my only recourse is to hope that the local dealer can sell it to someone else as a used item, probably at a significant price reduction.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/26/2012 12:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DR-Power-Equipment/Vergennes-Vermont-05491/DR-Power-Equipment-Division-of-Country-Home-Products-Does-not-honor-six-month-customer-sat-903114. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DR Power Equipment

#1 General Comment

DR Power Wagon Problems

AUTHOR: Kalle - ()

I'd like to respond to the gentleman from Utah that had so much trouble with his DR Power Wagon.  I just purchased a used one recently and I have to say it's one of the best purchases I have ever made.  This unit does exactly as the manufacturer claims and more.  I had a few small issues which I expected, making a purchase of a 20 year old used unit.   Every problem I came across was addressed and solved with the use of the owner's manual.

The gentleman who claimed that his unit would not run up hills or even on level ground cannot possibly have read the paperwork.  It also sounds like he was not familiar with running even simple machines.  It's hard to imagine that the shop from which he purchased the unit would not or could not advise him on how to run it. Sounds more like buyer's remorse than actual problems with the equipment in my opinion.

I'd like to close by saying that these machines are terrific and will do everything the manufacturer claims.  I would not give mine up for twice what I paid for it.

AUTHOR: SF - (United States of America)

DR Power has now agreed to take the Powerwagon back and has issued a full refund to me. Speeds, The local DR dealer in Salt Lake City, was very helpful in getting this matter resolved and handled all of the details and shipping.