Complaint Review: D.R.E.A.M. Animal Rescue

• Submitted: Tue, March 05, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, March 06, 2013

• Reported By: Concerned Citizen — Mission Viejo California United States of America
D.R.E.A.M. Animal Rescue
Laguna Niguel, California United States of America

D.R.E.A.M. Animal Rescue DREAM Animal Rescue, Jonnie Ben INHUMANE Treatment of Animals Laguna Niguel, California

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Yes I concur she's a thief and hoarder

*Consumer Comment: Dream stole money from me

*Consumer Comment: Great Experience with Dream Animal Rescue

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Rebuttal

Jonnie Ben, founder of D.R.E.A.M. Animal Rescue claims, for the sake of soliciting donations, that her foundation is a non-profit organization.  That is FALSE.  The firm is not registered in the state of California at all, let alone registered as a non profit.  And, in that regard, her .org website is used under false pretenses.

Jonnie tells people that the money they donate to her "non-profit" is tax deductible.  That is FALSE.

Jonnie lists multiple cats for "adoption" on various websites, including adoptapet.com.  Jonnie is using this false non-profit to pay for her hoarding obsession with cats and other animals.  In fact, Jonnie has had up to 30 cats and several dogs living in her small home at any given time.  The money she seeks is to support her own inhumane habitat.  Call her and try to arrange to adopt one of the pets she pretentiously lists for adoption and you will discover she is a phony.

Jonnie uses animals to attract people (donations) at events.  She exposes the animals to extended periods of time in the heat, and the environment she keeps the animals is chaotic and inhumane.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2013 08:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DREAM-Animal-Rescue/Laguna-Niguel-California-92677/DREAM-Animal-Rescue-DREAM-Animal-Rescue-Jonnie-Ben-INHUMANE-Treatment-of-Animals-Lag-1024138. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on D.R.E.A.M. Animal Rescue

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Yes I concur she's a thief and hoarder

AUTHOR: Concerned - ()

And abuser she abused my kitten she tryed to steal it after I paid. 200 with no shots or tests all I hv recorded on phone but my Lawer has it now c u in court u sick animal abuser

Dream stole money from me

AUTHOR: Concerned - ()

I also hv visitor

Great Experience with Dream Animal Rescue

AUTHOR: OC Mommy - ()

I adopted two cats from Jonnie and Dream Animal Rescue in 2012, and found her to be a knowledgeable and pleasant professional.

The cats are in cages for the adoption shows and they are all provided with food, water, and shade. The kitties are raised in foster homes, not cages, and were all wonderfully social. Some of the foster people are at the adoption shows and you can talk to them about each cat's personality, which is helpful. I knew I wanted cats who would tolerate small children, for instance!

I did have to fill out an application, have an interview, and make an appointment for a home check. There is also an adoption fee of $150 per cat. These things may deter someone who wants a cat right away, but that is kind of the point: a pet is many years of commitment and it is important to find the right home for each pet.

I did my homework on Dream before adopting from them and they have been registered with the state of CA for some time as a non-profit organization. I know from past experience that the IRS can take a long time to approve non-profit status, and Jonnie was open with me about her application with them and where they were in that process.

So, nothing but a good experience for me! I see Dream at the pet store near my house occasionally and Jonnie always makes it a point to ask how my girls are doing. Nice people!

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Rebuttal

AUTHOR: DREAM - (United States of America)

DREAM Animal Rescue is a reputable rescue serving Orange County. We are a CA State non-profit corporation and a federally recognized 501c3 charity. Please visit the state website here http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/ and search corporations for DREAM Animal Rescue. I will gladly send a copy of our 501c3 determination letter. We were just finalized in January. All donations are tax deductible and were always tax deductible from the time we started the process to become a 501c3.

We have adopted out well over 100 animals since we began rescuing almost 2 years ago. We are all pet lovers and our animals are healthy and live comfortably in foster homes. I have several well know vets that routinely see the rescued animals. They will vouch for the health and safety of the animals in my rescue.

The person filing the complaint is incorrect as to anyone having 30 animals in a home. And I have never fostered dogs so this is clearly a trumped up accusation. I would be thrilled if you called me to adopt one of our deserving animals!

I have many adopters who would highly recommend adopting from us and have referred us to friends and family.

We do generate and solicit for donations and I am happy to provide copies of the over $10,000 in vet bills we have accrued in recent months.

We work very hard to help save animals! I do have an application process and do home checks on all prospective adopters. I have to occasionally turn people down and this is likely a result of just that. We want to be sure to place our animals into safe, clean, happy and permanent homes!