Complaint Review: Darryl Matlen

• Updated: Fri, April 05, 2013

• Reported By: Naive — Washington
Darryl Matlen
7101 N Austin Rd Spokane, Washington United States of America

Darryl Matlen Darryl M. Matlen Purposely Deceived and Stole Money Spokane, Washington

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: This post is malicious, petty, eroneous and unlawful

This person, one Darryl Matlen, advertised a vehicle for sale on Craigslist. I thought it looked like a good deal and it was in price range I had been looking for. Unfortunately, my spouse was unable to accompany me to look at it in person at that time and would not be able to for another 5 days or so. I was up front with this information from the start and asked if Mr. Matlen if he would still like me to come by to prove I was serious in my interest. He confirmed he would.

I went to look on my own and advised that while I really liked it, I couldn't spend several thousand dollars without the approval of my spouse. (He wouldn't spend several thousand dollars without my approval either) I said to him, and I do quote, "If somebody comes by in the mean time with the money, go ahead and sell it to them". I was ok with that. I just wanted him to know I wasn't leading him on in my interest in purchasing it. He then replied "I'll tell you what. How about a 'good faith deposit' to hold it until your husband gets back? Say $250?"  In "good faith", I agreed to making a deposit to hold the vehicle, gave him the money to hold, took the receipt he handed me, and headed to work.

I was not able to convince my spouse to go look at the agreed upon time when he came home. Naturally I was upset, but I thought I would still be able to convince him to go look and agree it was a great vehicle. I figured in the meantime, I shouldn't make Mr. Matlen wait any longer in case other people were offering. I sent him a message stating I was unable to get a response from my spouse as to when he would go look so I would come pick up my "hold deposit" in case anyone else wanted to buy said vehicle.

Mr. Matlen's response shocked me to the core. He stated that my "receipt" said a "non-refundable deposit toward the purchase of vehicle" and he was "so sorry it wasn't working out". That wasn't what we agreed to at all! I Never, and Would Not Ever have agreed to that! He told me while one thing while writing down another. My stomach clinched, and I started to cry. I can't afford to "just give someone $260" because they took me for a sucker (Which obviously I am).

I called the police who told me there was nothing they could do as "it's a civil matter". I told them I didn't agree to it and that Nowhere on his "receipt" does it state that I agree, consent, or allow for this to happen. When I informed Mr. Matlen I would file a Civil Suit to get back my money, he advised he would be leaving the state in a few days and the police could serve him there. (How convenient for him to steal $260 from me then leave the state)

I never, ever, ever agreed to what this "receipt" Mr. Matlen is hiding behind is not signed by me, does not state that I agree to those terms, and does not obtain my permission at all. The only thing it states is that He Agrees to those terms. He wrote something completely different from our Verbal Contract. He asked me for "good faith" which I extended. He obviously had "good faith" that I would believe him.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/31/2013 11:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Darryl-Matlen/Spokane-Washington-/Darryl-Matlen-Darryl-M-Matlen-Purposely-Deceived-and-Stole-Money-Spokane-Washington-1039472. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Darryl Matlen

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

This post is malicious, petty, eroneous and unlawful

AUTHOR: truthisclear - ()

I find this post to be ridiculous, erroneous, malicious and ridden with incongruencies.  I personally pride myself on trying to live an honest life.  Einstein said it best when he said; Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Or just plain dummies.  In relation to the car, it was my mothers car.  My mother died in 2009.  I wanted it to go to a good home.  Its imperative that I make clear that I had a moral obligation not only to sell the car in good conscience but more importantly that I let go of the vehicle knowing that Id done the right thing to and for someone just as my mother always did.  Its for these reasons that I take tremendous offense to the post.  The receipt in contention couldnt have been written any more clearly.  It had the four elements of a contract, as verified by the legal counsel that I hired today and corroborated by the three other legal counsellors that I showed it to in previous days, just so that I could be 100% confident that I had not done someone wrong.  Fact: this woman came to my home after numerous texts indicating significant interest in my vehicle, including statements that money was not an object and that shed been saving for a vehicle exactly like mine.  She indicated to me that she wanted her spouse to view the vehicle; I explained to her that I had several people interested in it and that if she was truly interested she would have to jump on it.  I explained to her that since her interest was so strong, that Id be willing to hold the vehicle until such time as she brought the remaining money and suggested that she leave a nonrefundable $250 deposit towards the purchase price.  She left my home, went to am ATM and brought me $260.  In the interim period I drafted a very short one-sentence contract/receipt stating the aforementioned items: a) what was being exchanged b) who the parties were c) the purchase price d) the date and e) that the monies were nonrefundable.  I am disappointed that this woman cant read.  Im disappointed in our educational system for dropping Senior Consumerism or All Things Considered, which was always a great core elective, which taught silly little things like how to sell a car or how to interact with someone in a sales situation wherein moot situations were fun and informative and certainly in this case would have prevented a young woman from being made an example of.  My usually nice demeanor has gone on the defensive:  I hired an attorney to pursue not only a cease and desist restraining order but I also hired an attorney that will deal with the defamation issues, being that some of her posts were attached to my intellectual properties  (Oh yeah, have I failed to mention that Im the inventor of Smartiplants and have five international patents and am generally a pretty savvy dude? Oh I guess not.)  Anyways, at the end of the day, this young woman (who knows who she is), needs to afford me a written apology, accept responsibility for her actions and learn to be less petty when taking a risk like buying a vehicle.  Only to perjure herself by saying she doesnt have the money to lose.  I find this to be troubling and perhaps be a life pattern.  My damages are clear:  since she was flagging and reporting on craigslist and making scam reports daily, I received no other calls on the vehicle.  Weirdly, I got text messages from people I dont know to inform me of these defamatory and libelous narratives.  One of them was in fact a potential customer for the vehicle and made the clear statement that if I were to get the negative stuff off the site, that they then would consider the vehicle.  I think my damages are clear and Im looking forward to depositions.  Ive shared these posts with some friends and acquaintances just to get a litmus as to what they felt the most effective corrective action would be.  Unanimously my colleagues have indicated that it should be a strong response to ensure that my name is cleared and free of blatant slander. Anybody that reads this and knows me has ample resources to get ahold of me with only rudimentary computer skills.  Thank you for your time and God bless the United States of America.