Complaint Review: Data Retrieval

• Updated: Tue, November 22, 2011

• Reported By: Robin — United States of America
Data Retrieval

Data Retrieval dataretrieval.com shady Seattle, Internet

STEP 1: I took my dead hard drive to the Alpharetta, GA office on Nov 1. The guy showed me a brochure and recommended that I sign up for "Premium" service. The premium service is purported to diagnose the problem in 6 hours. He also told me the price of the diagnosis is deducted from the cost of the data recovery.

STEP 2: After leaving the office, I discover online that the "Premium" service results in a surcharge on the data recovery cost. (This is mentioned not in the fancy, color brochure). I also learn the diagnostic fee is not deducted from the final price. I change my service in the online account options and inform the sales rep by phone. The free diagnostic should take 3 days.

STEP 3: I finally receive a diagnosis of my hard drive problem on Nov 14.

STEP 4: I tell the company to proceed with the data recovery. They send me some authorization forms which they say are required for data recovery to begin. I do not fill them out.

STEP 5: I tell them I changed my mind. I don't want the data, I already recovered it from another backup. They say too bad! They recovered the data without the authorization forms.

STEP 6: To close my case, they tell me I have to sign authorization forms, which request data recovery and premium services. (??!). I don't want any of it. Even though I clearly did not receive any 6-hour diagnostic, they say I must sign the forms. To avoid impacting my credit report, and to get my replacement drive returned, I sign the forms :( There is something really shady about these people.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/22/2011 12:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Data-Retrieval/internet/Data-Retrieval-dataretrievalcom-shady-Seattle-Internet-800856. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Data Retrieval