Complaint Review: David J. Smythe

• Submitted: Fri, December 20, 2002
  • Updated: Wed, August 22, 2012

• Reported By:Dover Delaware
David J. Smythe
davidjsmythe@yahoo.com Newport, Delaware U.S.A.

David J. Smythe Rip-off dead beat drug addicted dad Newport Delaware

*Author of original report: Further information on David Jay Smythe

David J Smythe is the father of my 7-year-old daughter. At last count, he owes me $15000.00 in back child support. He evades wage garnishment by either working under the table or as a private contractor. He does not file his tax returns (he owes the IRS more than he owes me, so even if he did, I would not receive any of the proceeds from his tax refund). I have tried agencies such as "SupportKids" to try to collect some of what is owed to me and my daughter, but they were not able to help me either, and stated that they exhausted their efforts.

David, sadly, is an alchoholic and drug addict and it is obvious from his appearance and mannerisms that this is where he spends the money that he makes. You may ask why any responsible woman would get involved with a person such as this in the first place, let alone have a child with him. When I met Dave I was very young and naive about such things. I knew that he drank more than most of the other people I knew and also that he had a history of experimenting with drugs and partying. I guess I thought that he was just young and wild and having fun, like me.

Besides he was a very nice and intelligent and sensitive person, and I thought he would calm down after we got married and started a family. Well I was very wrong about that, because things took a turn for the worse when we found out that I was pregnant. I guess that really freaked him out. I remember being five months pregnant and riding through the city streets and alleys at 3 or 4 in the morning looking for him while he was out on another crack binge, and feeling so nervous and upset that I had stomach pains. When our daughter was 6 months old he went through a rehab program, after a midnight trip to the ER for withdrawl tremors and pain. He stayed clean for about 6 months or so, but when he started doing drugs again, I knew it was just a matter of time for us.

One night he came home after having spent all of his money on crack and tried to take my purse, which had a small amount of money in it, which I intended to spend on diapers and food. When I fought back, he basically mugged me in our own bedroom and took off with my purse and my grocery money. After that I was afraid of him and within weeks, I threw him out of our house and moved myself.

So that is my story in short. I would like somehow to start receiving some financial support for my daughter, but I am realistic enough to realize that this is probably never going to happen. I am remarried now with 2 younger children and a husband who serves as father to all 3 kids. Money is still very tight for us, and I get still get mad at David when we don't have enough money for food or clothes for the kids. I guess I use him as a brunt for my frustration, but the truth is I'm glad he doesn't have contact with me or his daughter. I don't think he would be a very good influence on her life. What I do wish is that I could afford to pay for the termination of his parental rights and the adoption of my daughter by my husband.

I have tried to do this before, but could not come up with the $600 fee that they charge to "check out" your living conditions.

T
Wilmington, Delaware

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/20/2002 11:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/David-J-Smythe/Newport-Delaware-19901/David-J-Smythe-Rip-off-dead-beat-drug-addicted-dad-Newport-Delaware-38829. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on David J. Smythe

Further information on David Jay Smythe

AUTHOR: t - (United States of America)

I am the original author of this rip-off report. I was recently contacted by a person with a similar name as the person who was reported. I wish to specify that this rip off report is in reference to David Jay Smythe, 30 years old, currently of Newport DE, originally from Detroit Michigan, born on 08/09/1975. Please forgive any inconvenience to others out there with similar names.