Complaint Review: Dawn Moving

• Submitted: Tue, August 16, 2011
  • Updated: Tue, August 16, 2011

• Reported By: C.S. — Silver Spring Maryland United States of America
Dawn Moving
2036 Lord Baltimore Drive Windsor Mill, MD, 21244 Internet United States of America

Dawn Moving Pro-Dawn Movers; Pro-Dawn THEFT Internet

They did a number of things that bothered me (like showing up half an hour early and charging me from there; breaking 2 pieces of my furniture, not paying attention to - or, perhaps because their English was limited, not being able to understand - the words "fragile - stack nothing on" about 5 of my boxes), but the kicker was that when they arrived, my laptop, in its case, was accounted for, and when they left the place they'd moved me to, it was not. I called the head mover, whose cellphone number I had, and he said they didn't have it. They reminded me that I'd checked the back of the moving truck before they left. I said yes, but they didn't give me the chance to check the cab of the truck. He said, "we don't do that, ma'am." He suggested I check the apartment they'd moved me out of. I raced over there and checked thoroughly. It was nowhere to be seen.

I called the company's office, and it was obvious they didn't care. They were actually kind of hostile and defensive about it. The woman I spoke with told me that (a) I should have taken the laptop with me in my car; (b) that the movers wouldn't steal anything; and (c) that I was welcome to go over to where they were and check out the truck again. She did not offer to look in the truck herself. (And come on - if you steal something, are you going to leave it in a visible place?) I told her I was going to call the police. She clearly wasn't happy about this, and offered again to let me come out and look in the truck, but I just said no.

The police officer who came to talk to me was very nice, and kind of laughed when I told him what the woman on the phone said about taking the laptop in my car. (Um, everything I have is valuable. The entire point of hiring movers is to have them move all of your things. If something would be a liability on their part to move, they should let you know up front that they can't/won't move it.)

There's really no way I can prove that they took the computer, which was in a carrying case on the floor of the livingroom of the place I was moving out of. The officer said he would contact the company and the movers, but I don't have a lot of hope that he'll get a confession out of any of them.

It is my hope that in writing this, I can help prevent others from going through this. It is extremely upsetting. I've lost all my music and pictures, along with important documents and sensitive information. I will get another computer, and life will go on, but no one should have to worry about a mover stealing from them.

One other seemingly dishonest thing: they claim to be Better Business Bureau accredited ("with an A+ rating" - ha), but when I looked them up on the BBB site, as I'm going to file a complaint there too, it said that the business was NOT accredited by them. Hm.... false advertising much?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/16/2011 01:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dawn-Moving/internet/Dawn-Moving-Pro-Dawn-Movers-Pro-Dawn-THEFT-Internet-765882. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dawn Moving