Complaint Review: Del Amo Hospital

• Reported By: Lisa D — United States of America
Del Amo Hospital
23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance, California United States of America

Del Amo Hospital Worst hospital EVER!!!!!!! Torrance, California

I could not believe my eyes as I was reading the ripoff report from someone else. EXACTLY what happened to me today. First, during the 72 hour hold no phone calls from the doctor. Left a note for him on the 1st day my child was brought in on a 5150 listing that he has had severe adverse reactions to meds especially anti-psychotics and needed to discuss. My son signed a release on his 1st day. Today was the end of his hold. Tried again several times this morning to reach the doctor and social worker to discuss if he would be released, Ned's, etc. No luck. I called at 3pm which is when the hold was over. Bernadette, a nurse at del Amo, rudely told me that the reason the doctor never called me today was that my son had rescinded the order. I was perplexed and asked if they had the right patient chart. I explained he signed a release on day 1 and had spoken to him minutes prior to calling. She told me again that's what Dr. Fidel told them and wrote in the chart. I luckily got my son on the phone and he went to the nurses station to straighten out. I called back and spoke with Bernadette and she said it must have been a communication breakdown and was told my son had been placed on a 14 day hold and that"he would be there for 14 days." (Not the legal process) My son was calling on the other line telling me he had been placed on the 14 day hold. He hadn't been told this by ANYONE all day and had seen the doctor in the morning. When I asked Bernadette why he didn't know his hold was extended she said that they were busy????... My gut was that something was off. Boy was I right.

it gets better. I left a vm for the clinical director and stated I was on my way down to speak to her in person since no one there knows how to use a phone. I caught her before she was leaving. She met with me and explained to me that the reason he was put on the 14 day hold was because he took a swing at a Dr. Bardi yesterday. I said I found that hard to believe and called the pay phone immediately to get him on the phone to clarify. I put him on speaker so that she could hear his initial response. No swing, no verbal altercation, nothing!!!!! You could tell she was taken back a bit and said she would speak to the doctor tomorrow but couldn't do anything about it until then. Two mistakes in one day is not a coincidence. This place is unreal. At first I thought it may have been an error. Was it possible they had the wrong chart in both instances?........that is until I got home and read all the bad reviews on yelp and here. My gut was right. This is blatant fraud and illegal. I will be calling my insurance company tomorrow to report them. Maybe if the insurance money dries up, he will be released. I am going to seek legal options as well. This place should not be open!!!!!!!!

Btw, he called me tonight and seemed to be possibly having an adverse reaction to his anti psychotics. Heart racing, difficulty breathing, etc. The nurses refused to take him to the ER across the street. I had to drive down and call 911 to meet me there. The person in charge wouldn't even let the paramedics in at first. After a good 5 minutes, the paramedics were finally let in to check on him. Thank god he was ok but unbelievable!!! Maybe if the doctor had called me back, this could have been avoided. I read the side effects of his new medication when I got home tonight (which they doubled today) and guess what one of the major side effects are?? Heart palpitations and irregular heart beat.

Warning - I wouldn't leave my dog there, let alone my child. I will do everything in my power to get him out ASAP!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2013 01:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Del-Amo-Hospital/Torrance-California-90066/Del-Amo-Hospital-Worst-hospital-EVER-Torrance-California-1001666. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Del Amo Hospital