Complaint Review: Dell Computer

• Reported By: Adam — Costa Mesa California
Dell Computer
Nationwide USA

Dell Computer poor tech support, poor customer service Nationwide

*Author of original report: tech support

I had a Dell laptop before and loved it.  When I upgraded last year, I bought a new Dell laptop and a Dell desktop as well.  First, let me say that I love the products.  What I hate is their customer service and their tech support.

So I placed the order online, through the dell.com website.  I entered my credit card information, paid for the two computers, and they were shipped.  I went to my P.O. Box to pick them up, and they said the FedEx guy was instructed to return them as soon as he got there.  I asked why and they didn't know- they said it was at the request of the shippier (i.e. Dell).  I contacted Dell about this but they never responded.

I went online and placed a new order, and that order went through just fine (though it was slightly more expensive than the first order).  To this day, Dell has refused to provide any explanation as to what went wrong with the first order.

Now, I've contacted Dell's tech support a few times to fix a few things that aren't working correctly.  I even paid extra so that I'd have a year of free tech support (which is about to run out soon).  Every time I call, I get a different person, and I think they are all located in India and barely speak English.  They have odd hours and it is very difficult to reach them.  They refuse to provide support via email.  When I am able to reach them, they give generic advise.  For example, I could not empty the recycle bin on my desktop- one guy told me the solution was to right-click on the recycle bin and select the "Empty Recycle Bin" option.  duh.  That is what was not working!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/02/2014 05:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dell-Computer/nationwide/Dell-Computer-poor-tech-support-poor-customer-service-Nationwide-1135811. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dell Computer

tech support

AUTHOR: Adam - ()

So just as an update...I've been trying to contact and follow up with Dell's tech support on a few issues I've been having.  Dell always seems to either a) not have the answer and says they'll get back to me, or b) gives me a useless answer like "you have to reinstall Windows."  They never bothered to actually troubleshoot the problem, find out what it is, and recommend an actual fix for it.

Yesterday I scoured the internet and though it took me many hours to find it, I was able to find a fix for each of the problems I was having.  In each case, it was a rather simple fix that took only a few minutes to implement.  If Dell had known what they were talking about, this could have been taken care of long ago and saved me tons of time.  I paid extra for a year of tech support when I bought the computers, and that obviously was a waste!

So my tech support problems have now been fixed, no thanks to Dell.  My advice for anyone reading this is DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR DELL'S TECH SUPPORT WHEN YOU BUY A COMPUTER FROM THEM!!