Complaint Review: Dell Computers

• Reported By: Thomas — Confluence Pennsylvania United States of America
Dell Computers

Dell Computers HACKED my computer for not subscribing to there service Internet

*Consumer Comment: Dell did not hack your computer

I had a 1-year trial datasafe backup program and received an e-mail on 07/10/2011 that said the program would be ending in 7 days and all file would be removed, unless I paid for renewing the subscription.

I assumed they would only discontinue and erase the datasafe backup program and files.

To my surprise they erased my personal files an removed my taskbar and startup and program menues. They even removed my all of my computer restore points'

I have contacted Dell support online and by phone and have been put on hold and disconnected or transferred from one department to another. then the last time I was transferred to the software department, after waiting almost an hour and no reply I hung up.

When trying to find ways to at least restore my taskbar I now get error messages that my computer is at risk and 8 of my drivers need to be updated or when I try to scan for problems I get an error has accurd message.

This I feel is in retaliation for not buying a service that has been shown to be worthless .

Dell has no right to remove any files from my computer other than those that they own outright.

Does anyone know if this is hacking or maybe even criminal mischief?

I am going to attempt to contact Dell for a possible solution but that's not looking very good.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/20/2011 01:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dell-Computers/internet/Dell-Computers-HACKED-my-computer-for-not-subscribing-to-there-service-Internet-755749. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dell Computers

Dell did not hack your computer

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

You gave them permission to load this program on your computer. The minute you started using it a counter in the program either counted up or down to 1 year. The minute it counted down and did not get a new key the program was erased. Any files you stored in the folders this program used were erased. Which directory on your computer did you have these files in? Did you think to invest in an external hard drive or use CD's or even disks to copy your private files to?

I am pretty sure the answer is no to all of the above since you are here. Seeking after the fact support is kind of pointless. You should have called them directly and said what can I do if I do not want to use this program anymore but you didn't.