Complaint Review: Dell Financial Services

• Submitted: Mon, November 28, 2011
  • Updated: Thu, March 22, 2012

• Reported By: ChrisNHuntsville — Huntsville Alabama USA
Dell Financial Services

Dell Financial Services C I T Bad Business Practice (possibly illegal) Internet, Internet

*Author of original report: A Reply

*Consumer Comment: Dell just plain flat out sucks

*Author of original report: Just An Update...

*Author of original report: Response

*UPDATE Employee: Concerned, please Call Me.

In 2006 I decided I needed a little laptop to tool around with. I ordered one from Dell and was talked into financing it through Dell Financial Services. I was offered no interest for 18 months with a $1500 limit. The Laptop I purchased was no more than $700. I didnt need anything special. The first payment came up and I went ahead and dropped double the ammount due. No biggie... The second month I did the same thing. When I logged on the 3rd month to make my payment the online system told me there was an error processing my payment. This was on a Saturday. I tried to reach a rep via the provided phone numbers but to no avail. So I called back on Monday and made my usual double payment. I didnt think much of it then. Turns out. Because of their system being "Down" my payment was late by 48 hours which took my interest rate up to 29.9%. The next month I received a bill stating that I now owed just over $1200. I called Dell multiple times and got the run around each time. I finally ended up making a payment of $500 (online oddly enough.. seems the system was working fine then). Every month I slung money at this thing and the principal just would not drop. At that point in time I had paid in over $800 on a $700 laptop and my bill was saying I still owed $600. Frustrated, I called Dell again, no help. I finally just stopped making payments. About 5 months down the road I see my credit report. Dell had transfered my account to a collections agency for the ammount of $1600. I called the agency and agreed to pay out $1200 to have the problem taken care of. Sure enough, the next month the collection was off of my credit and the world was peachy. Two months later however, DFS started reporting a charge off with a $0 balance on my credit report. It has been reporting for 4 years now and they wont take it off. I call them constantly and every time Im givin a case number. I call back to follow up and they tell me that such a case number doesnt exist. Before this, I had outstanding credit. When this started I could walk into a car dealership/bank/mortgage company and walk out with the best of rates and pretty much anything I wanted. Now id be lucky to be able to finance a stick of gum. I have no other negative remarks on my credit. Ive bought and paid for 5 cars. I have 3 credit cards that are in great standing. Ive had loans ammounting up to $75k that were paid in good standing. Yet because of this my credit score has dropped nearly 200 points in the last 4 years and they wont remove it though they say they will. They have promised me this verbally and I have asked for it in writing. I am told that it takes 24-48 hours to process and I should receive a confirmation email with all of this laid out in english. Ive been through this same process 3 times and I have never gotten an email nor has it been removed from my credit.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/28/2011 12:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dell-Financial-Services/internet/Dell-Financial-Services-C-I-T-Bad-Business-Practice-possibly-illegal-Internet-Internet-802409. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dell Financial Services

A Reply

AUTHOR: ChrisNHuntsville - (USA)

Since starting this little battle back in December, a few things have actually changed for the better. Not only did I start on my end with Dell, with the help of Mr. Strother, but I hired a credit repair specialist to go through my files and help me. As of March of 2012, my credit has been fully repair by the credit bureas as well as Dell. Dell is now reporting that I paid this account off in full and in a timely manner. For those of you who are experiencing the same or similar issue.. please dont give up... see it through, all the way through... Keep records of everything and you will prevail.

Dell just plain flat out sucks

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

Unfortunately, based on product reviews, I don't any laptop maker doesn't suck. It seems that unless you can make your own, you have to either deal with crappy product, or crappy customer service.

We'll all be waiting with bated breath to see what, if anything, the mysterious Mister Strother does for you.

Lesson to be learned. Never wait until a non business day to make an online payment due over a weekend or holiday. Always try to give yourself a business day or two to handle any unforeseen problems.

These pigs really ought to give you back the "interest" they gouged you for, let alone fix the credit issue. Yo, Michael Dell, maybe this guy ought to send this story to all the financial analysts who cover your loser company, as should all your unhappy customers. Not that your stock can be hurt much more than it has over the last decade, short of chapter 11.

Just An Update...

AUTHOR: ChrisNHuntsville - (USA)

Since hearing from Mr. Strother on this board, I have spoken with him twice. He is allegedly investigating this issue. I can tell you that I have received two letters from DFS, dated a few days a part. The first letter (11/30) states that they are resolving the issue by changing the status on my credit report to "Closed/Paid In full". The second letter states that it will be changed to "Closed/Charge Off" which is exactly what they have been reporting and is false.

Maybe Mr. Strother is on vacation for the holidays but I have no been able to contact him by phone in well over a week, nor have I received an email from him since I scanned and sent him a copy of the two letters mentioned above.

Response

Sir,

I have called and left a message with your answering service, and just to give you an update. The day I posted this I was in the middle of going through the phone contacts yet again to have this issue resolved. I was given the same story "oh we will take care of it, you will have an email within half an hour" its been nearly 2 days and still no email. I have taken the time to do a little bit of research and have found that I am far from the only person who has been through this with DFS. I even see there was a class action lawsuit in Texas due to similar circumstances. I left my call back number and full name. I look forward to hearing from you.

Concerned, please Call Me.

AUTHOR: JerrySatDell - (United States of America)

Hello ChrisNHuntsville,

I saw your post and am concerned with your situation. Please call me at 1-800-283-2210 extension 4250127 at your earliest convenience.

Respectfully,