Complaint Review: Dell

Dell
One Dell Way Internet United States of America

Dell Dell Provides Customers with Cheap Quality Monitors , Internet

*Author of original report: Getting it Just Fine: Time to Leave Dell

*Consumer Comment: Not getting it.

*Author of original report: Warranties Don't Equal Good Products

*Consumer Comment: Try Goodwill, Habital and Craigslist

*Consumer Comment: While the monitor should have given you a bit more life...

Dell sells monitors on their website with a 3 year warranty, yet the typcial monitor that comes with a system only has a 1 year warranty!

In August of 2010, I purchased a Dell Inspiron system for my mother, who is a senior citizen.  Two weeks ago, her monitor went out.  When contacting Dell, the rep informed my mother that the computer (and monitor) only had a one year warranty and offered to sell her a new monitor for $160!

I understand the concept of a warranty and the concept of a product being out of warranty, but I have a computer monitor that still works well after 11 years!

I have filed a report with the Better Business Bureau and another complaint website.  Dell promptly got in contact with my mother but only offered a 10% discount.  This is disappointing to say the least.

In the past, I have bought a Dell system every 3 years and was just about to purchase a Dell laptop.  This experience has proved that Dell does not stand behind their products.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/13/2012 08:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dell/internet/Dell-Dell-Provides-Customers-with-Cheap-Quality-Monitors-Internet-911433. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dell

Getting it Just Fine: Time to Leave Dell

AUTHOR: jbmysinger - (United States of America)

Here is what I "get" after my experience with Dell:  (FOR SOME GOOD NEWS, SCROLL TO THE LAST PARAGRAPH)

1.  I get what a warranty is and what is covered; I also get that a company should stand behind its products when they fail in a short period of time (even if its after the standard 1 year warranty has expired).  According to Flyrider's reasoning, a customer should be satisfied if the product lasts for one year.  In other words, if I buy a $3,000 computer and it breaks a week after the one year warranty expires, I should be happy that it lasted so long in all of those 53 weeks.

2.  I get that simply fulfilling a warranty and standing behind a product are two completely different practices.  A warranty is simply a legal formality.  A company with GOOD customer service would help a customer whose product fails in a short period of time (even outside of the short warranty period).  I wouldn't expect Dell to cover a monitor or system that exceeds 4 years, but at the very least, a monitor should last for 3 years.  Why else did Dell use to offer a 3 year coverage?

3.  I get that extended warranties are a way to make more money for the company.  Consumer Reports has cautioned against buying them and has reported in the past that sometimes extended warranties make more money for the company than the actual product.

4.  I get that a lot of companies may function like Dell.  Does that mean this is good service and that we consumers should be satisfied with such poor quality? American auto companies functioned the same way for decades and what were the results?  Chrysler is now owned by a foreign company and GM owes the government BILLIONs of dollars!

5.  I get that if Dell truly has good quality products, then I may be one of the small percentage who got a lemon.   If this is the case, it wouldn't cost the company too much to replace it, or at the very least to charge me at cost.  In doing so, they would have kept me as a lifelong customer (I was on the verge of buying a $1200 laptop).  I would have also recommended them to others.

Now here's the last that I "got" after doing some research yesterday: If you use your American Express card to purchase a product over $500, AMEX will double the manufactuer's warranty (up to 5 years) on most purchases, including computers.  Thankfully, American Express is protecting the customer even though Dell could care less.

Not getting it.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

" Why should we as consumers be satisfied with a product lasting for less than 2 years?   "

The only consumers that should be unsatisfied should be those that bought a product with a warranty greater than 2 years.

While your original post says you understand the concept of a warranty, both that post and the follow up seem to indicate that you are having trouble accepting the concept.

You bought a monitor with a one year warranty.  Whether or not you think monitors are supposed to last longer is immaterial.   The company has agreed to replace or repair a defective monitor for the period of one year.    After that, you are on your own.   THAT is the concept of a warranty and you appear not to be grasping it.

"Dell sells monitors on their website with a 3 year warranty "

You are free to purchase a monitor with a longer warranty if you want it to be covered for more than one year.     You did not do that.  Your post says that you understand the concept, yet at the same time seems to be demanding coverage above and beyond the warranty period.

Sometimes things break after the warranty period has expired.   Your assertion that Dell did not "stand behind" their product is absurd.   What you really mean is that Dell did not agree to cover your monitor even though the warranty had expired.   I think you'll find that to be the case with most companies.

Warranties Don't Equal Good Products

AUTHOR: jbmysinger - (United States of America)

No, I'm not associated with Dell in ANY way whatsoever.

I too have had a similar experience with Dell.  My speakers were not working less than two weeks after I bought a new Dell system.  I had new speakers shipped to me within two business days.

However, you missed the point of my post.  I'm not criticizing Dell's reponse to covering products under warranty.  I am questioning the quality of their products in general.  You can't tell me that you would be satisfied with buying a $160 monitor after yours failed before even reaching two years in age.

Secondly, why do their monitors sold separately on-line come with a 3 year warranty (as do most monitors sold by other companies), yet their monitors sold with with complete systems only come with a one year warranty?  Does that seem like a good business practice?

Why should we as consumers be satisfied with a product lasting for less than 2 years?  Several companies in the auto industry have slowly come around to offering a 10 year/100,000 warranty on several cars due to consumer demand; other auto companies have extended their warranties.  According to PC World magazine, Dell use to offer three year warranties on most of its products!

Had I not experienced this problem with Dell I too would continue purchasing from the company.  However, a similar experience happening to you may change your opinion.

Try Goodwill, Habital and Craigslist

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

Probably better off buying a used one from or through one of these sources for under $40 than buying new.

Even if you get little over a year out of one, in the end it beats getting 2 years for $150 from a new piece of junk.

In the cosmic realm of Godly creation, there's a reason why Dell rhymes with smell and h**l.

While the monitor should have given you a bit more life...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

" This experience has proved that Dell does not stand behind their products"

This does not prove that at all.

It DOES prove they abide by their written warranty terms. A warranty is meant to establish the terms of the warranty, including duration.

I had a problem with my CPU on my Dell computer after only three months and they sent a tech to install a new mother board and power supply...NO hassle whatsoever.

I will likely buy another Dell in the future.  Our household has three of varying ages working very well.

No, I'm not associated with Dell in ANY way whatsoever.