Complaint Review: Dell

• Updated: Fri, March 24, 2006

• Reported By:Chicago Illinois
Dell
Internet U.S.A.

Dell.Com Dell Sold Me a Camera They Did Not Have in Stock to Sell - - What a Scam, BOYCOTT DELL! Ripoff Web Internet

*Author of original report: This was a computer-generated order

*Consumer Comment: Show some commense sense here Mark

I recently ordered a camera from this ripoff website and paid with a credit card.

They processed my order and I requested the inexpensive "3-5 Day Shipping" option. The fine print for this shipping indicates that this is only an estimate. Later I learned that this shipping period starts only after they have "fully processed my order". (This website is jammed with legal-jargon fine print - - beware!)

A few days later I received an automated e-mail with a notice that the order was processed and the camera would be shipped in a few days. However, the next day I received another e-mail telling me that the estimated ship date was now actually about 6 weeks later.

When I called the support phone number they told me it was out of stock and they were not really sure when they would be able to ship the camera after all. But the nice lady in India did do me a big favor by giving me a free "overnight delivery" upgrade so that when the camera eventually came in would shipped quickly.

I bought this camera for a trip I was to take in 2 weeks so I cancelled the order immediately but not without substantial hassels.

Although I don't buy alot over the web all the web-sites I have ever seen indicate whether their products are in stock or back order BEFORE you purchase. DELL is a HUGE COMPUTER company for heavens sake - - if anyone can track inventory properly they should be able to.

They lured me in with a 3-5 day delivery promise and then changed it to 6 weeks after the took my money hoping I would not cancel the order. This is systematic customer abuse

PLEASE BOYCOTT DELL

Mark
Chicago, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/24/2006 09:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dell/internet/DellCom-Dell-Sold-Me-a-Camera-They-Did-Not-Have-in-Stock-to-Sell-What-a-Scam-BOYCOTT-183049. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dell

This was a computer-generated order

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

To the reply above to my original post, why does their computer have to "catch up with my order to match stock in inventory", my order was computer generated on Dell.com???

Surely in this day and age they should be able to easily target exact pieces of inventory to specific orders, all the other web sites I shop on do, and tell you if they are out of stock or not. Even JCPenny.com can manage this.

I have no doubt that Dell wanted my cash and purposely does not notify buyers when they sell things they do not actually have in stock to maximize revenues.

Sure companies make mistakes, even big ones, but DELL IS A COMPUTER COMPANY not a taco stand. Automated Inventory Control and Automated Web Sales should be fully integrated with no excuses.

I think their sales web site is systematically designed to do everything it can to manipulate costumers. When it comes to managing their accounts receivable I have no doubt that they keep their records perfectly straight and demand all the cash payments they think they deserve.

There is an entire web site devoted to people who hate DELL. These folks can't all be wrong.

Show some commense sense here Mark

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

Do you think that you are the only person that ordered this camera? Get real. Maybe they DID have it in stock when you placed the order, but another 10 or 20 people ordered it at the same time and your place in the queue was below theirs, so when the computer finally caught up with your order, it was out of stock.

It happens. Get over it. Go to Best Buy.