Complaint Review: Delta Airlines

• Submitted: Wed, June 01, 2005
  • Updated: Thu, June 02, 2005

• Reported By:Greenfield Wisconsin
Delta Airlines
www.delta.com Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

Delta Airlines Poor customer service Atlanta Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Bad Timing the second single worst point in time for the airlines in their history

*Consumer Comment: Maybe not Delta

I know this is a little late (6 months old) but I just discovered this site!! I am writing about the horrible service my girlfriend and I had with Delta Airlines in December 2004.
We used Delta to fly from Milwaukee, WI to Jacksonville, FL for Christmas to introduce her to my family for the first time and spend time with the family I only get to see once a year!
We left Milwaukee early am on Dec 23 and arrived in Jacksonville at 3:30pm, we encountered the usual delays for this time of season and the weather conditions (about 1 hour late getting in), then when we went to retrieve our luggage, mine was lost!! I filled out a lost luggage claim and they told me I would have it delivered where I was staying within 6 hours?
How could this be when 1) they did not know where it was and 2) Where we were staying was 2 hours away?! My luggage had all the gifts in it for my family, I packed it that way just incase (due to extra security measures) they needed to search the luggage, they would only have to do 1 and not both. By 9:00am the next day I had not heard anything concerning my lost luggage so I started making calls, the first time I had a very hard time getting through (understandable), and after several attempts I finally got through, and was assured my luggage would be to me by 5:00pm that day (Dec 24th Christmas eve). Needless to say, by 6:00pm no luggage, I tried calling again, finally getting through around 9:00pm, and according to Delta, I should have already had it, they even told me the name of the company performing the delivery. Well guess what, no such company was listed in Jacksonville or the surrounding areas, but alas!! My luggage finally showed up a few minutes before mid-night!!
Now the horror story gets worse, upon opening my luggage, everything was a wreck!! I had 2 broken wheels (which Delta claims is not responsible for), then inside I had also packed some kringles (a type of pastry) and had them sealed in 2 separate tupperware containers, both were still sealed, yet some of 1 and most of the other was missing? I did find 3 slices floating inside of my luggage staining my clothes and causing my suitcase to have to be emptied and vacuumed, not to mention having to stay up almost all night washing my clothes so I had something to wear on Christmas morning when the family showed up, it was bad enough having to wear the same clothes I traveled in for 2 days!!
The return trip went a little better, except this time my girlfriends luggage had 1 broken wheel and so did I, I had 4 at the beginning and ended up with only one at the end, added to an already irritating flying experience
I contacted Delta about this experience and was told they are not held responsible for any damage caused to my luggage or for the security checks performed and the handling of the luggage, (my interpretation.....get bent), they did however credit my frequent flyer card a whopping 2,000 miles (give me a sec, I need to find my cheering flag), yet it costs me 65,000 flier miles for 1 round trip ticket to Florida per person. I know this sounds cheesy, I do understand about delays and the possibility of some damage occurring, but there should be some professionalism performed on Delta's part instead of just a few short words saying we are not responsible, well who is??
My sister took a flight on American Airlines and they were delayed only 2 hours and received a credit to fly anywhere in the USA round-trip at no charge within 2 years!!! Hmmm, let me look up their phone number for my next trip, imagine if they do this for a 2 hour delay, what they would have done for me!!!! I have flown Delta in the past, but not during this time of season and had a pleasant experience, but this time took the cake. I don't get to fly too often and I know I can encounter some problems, but you would think a major airline such as Delta would at least try to provide some satisfaction under these conditions, it's not like I am complaining about the delays, but more the treatment and condition of my luggage during my trip.

Greenfield, Wisconsin

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Delta Air Lines

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/01/2005 08:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Delta-Airlines/Atlanta-Georgia/Delta-Airlines-Poor-customer-service-Atlanta-Georgia-144760. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Delta Airlines

AUTHOR: Jason - (U.S.A.)

First, the fact that you made it to your destination with only minimal delays should have you jumping up and down and cheering. December 2004 was probably the second single worst point in time for the airlines in their history.

As for the baggage. The previous poster is correct in that it was the TSA that you have a problem with, not Delta regarding things missing from the luggage. Because it has been 6 months, and I am willing to guess that you do not have any digital photos or proof of the missing items, and that there was no real monitary value to the missing items, I doubt this will do any good, but maybe you can use it to vent to the correct people. The claim form for TSA is at http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=183&content=090005198011b3f8.

As for the baggage being lost/misplaced. Customer service folks can only pass what they are told. Too often they are told something and just pass it along, no matter how impossible it seems. That is wrong. I was in the airport at GSP in South Carolina during that time, thankfully not catching a flight, and there were bags stacked up all around both carosels and even on top of the BMW that sits in the middle of the baggage claim area (BMW manufacturing plant is here.. That's why the car is there) So it wasn't just your luggage. Your plane probably left with about half of the luggage it was supposed to be carrying. The other half was luggage that was from flights hours or days before your flight.

Reading Delta's contract of carriage, it clearly states that "Delta shall not be liable for loss or damage to articles due to protruding parts not limited to feet, wheels, pull straps and pull handles" So the fact that wheels were broken from your luggage means absolutely nothing. That is standard language from any airline, not just Delta.

The friend who received airline credits from American. I can guarantee that it wasn't just because they were delayed. One of several other things happened. Either they vounteered to give up their seat for a seat on a later flight or they were bumped from the flight by American. Probably the latter. It is VERY difficult to get a free trip from an airline anymore, and they really have to screw you over for them to give something like that away. They definately were not giving free trips for delayed luggage during that time.

All told here, you're spitting into the wind. I absolutely understand WHY you're upset and I probably would be if I were in your shoes. The simple fact is that while you have a right to be mad, there's nothing you can do about it. Blaming Delta for all your problems isn't right, but it is understandable because they're the only ones you had contact with.

Maybe not Delta

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

I'm confused by several details of your story, but I can at least clarify one point. Delta didn't open your luggage, the TSA did. So, while I understand your frustration regarding the EXTERIOR condition, the interior is the fault of the TSA.

Now back to your story. I assume that you were on all Delta equipment (not Delta connection)? If so, you probably left MKE around 06:00 and connected through ATL, which would have put you in JAX around 1:00 or so, but as you said, there were delays. Anyway, my point is that I don't understand your claim of using 65K miles for a DL domestic ticket. Coach is only 25K, and FC is still not 65K. So, if you were only on DL, the mileage required is not correct.

As to their ability to know how long it will take to get your luggage to you, that is all part of their service level target, regardless of where it happens to be. In the meantime, did you request an inconvenience payment? You were eligible.