Complaint Review: Denny's Restaurant

• Submitted: Thu, July 24, 2003
  • Updated: Wed, March 01, 2006

• Reported By:Westminster California
Denny's Restaurant
72244 Varner Rd Thousand Palms, California U.S.A.

Denny's Restaurant Awful service from Manager cheated employees and screwed the customers even more rip off Thousand Palms California

*Consumer Comment: victim of a Denny's Restaurant in Austin,Texas

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Customer's choice of Where to Sit

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: $1.99 Discrepancy the amount of work expected from the waitstaff was phenominal! It's no wonder that mistakes happen

*Consumer Comment: It wasn't the server's fault

*Consumer Comment: Solution to discrepancy on cash card used at Denny's Restaurant

*Consumer Comment: Denny's Restaurant - Only go to the Denny's Restaurants you know are good! We've had many problems.

I never eat at Denny's, but during a long car trip, we regretfully stopped at Denny's restaurant off the 10 hwy. There weren't many people eating in the restaurant, so when getting seated, I had asked if we could sit by the window. We had explained that we rented a car and had all of our stuff in it, so we wanted to keep an eye on it. The manager told us there was no way he could do that (there were at least 3 booths available right next to the window). Instead, he had seated us right next to the restroom. Since it was Memorial Weekend, and the freeway was packed, a lot of people had stopped to come into the restaurant to use the restroom.

With all the people crowding near the restroom, all the restroom doors remained open. The smell was SO BAD, people were literally running out of the restroom. I had commented to the manager that the odor was so bad that you could taste it and asked to get the food to go. I paid for the food, but since the service was so bad and the smell was sickening, I left a quarter for a tip.

Of course, no apologies from the manager, which tells me that the manager either didn't care or was incredibly ignorant. Nonetheless, it was a reminder that Denny's is a terrible restaurant. Normally, I wouldn't have been so upset, but this is truely the WORST restaurant experience I've ever had.

Denise
Westminster, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/24/2003 11:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dennys-Restaurant/Thousand-Palms-California-92276/Dennys-Restaurant-Awful-service-from-Manager-cheated-employees-and-screwed-the-customers-64616. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Denny's Restaurant

victim of a Denny's Restaurant in Austin,Texas

AUTHOR: Helene - (U.S.A.)

I am a victim of a Denny's Restaurant in Austin,Texas --the one on Burnet Road...

They discriminated against us and gave us tained food to eat. I don't know if the food was tainted because they don't have turnover BECAUSE NOBODY LIKES TO EAT THERE --OR if it was done deliberately! I was even too sick to call the City Health Department to complain about their stopped up toilets and what appeared to be some sort of mold or mildew growing in the far corners of their ladies restroom. And the City Health Department LOVES to get my calls because they almost inevitable result in some HUGE fines!

You think they would have learned their lessons after all the problems they had treated African American customers like garbage but, no, here in Texas where the demographics are against them ,they are discriminating and harrassing MEXICAN AMERICANS --AND anyone they THINK is Mexican American at the Denny's Restaurant on Burnet Road in Austin,TX.

WHO DO THESE PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE?

I WILL NEVER,EVER EAT AT ANOTHER DENNY'S RESTAURANT -- no, make that UNSANITARY HQ of teh local Restaurant biz. I think I would rather eat at a taqueria wagon on the East Side of town instead of THAT one Denny's location.

After reading about what you people here had to endure at Denny's, I hav ecome to the conclusion that it is systemic and I guess the only reason they stay in business is that not enough people have gotten THE BUSINESS at Denny's Restaurants!

Racist, rude, filthy, contaminated food... dishes that appear to be unwashed...

The funny thing is, I almost always tip 25-30 percent but NOT THE MONSTER who was allegedly a waitress or was supposed to have been a waitress in THAT Denny's! WAITRESS FROM HELL is more like it.

I can't' urge a BOYCOTT but I hope that ANYONE who is Mexican American, African American, Native American OR JUST AMERICAN or who appears to have an IQ in the middle double digits will RECONSIDER EATING THERE!

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Customer's choice of Where to Sit

AUTHOR: Susan - (U.S.A.)

Hi I wanted to comment on the travellers who were not allowed to sit where they could see their car out the window and were forced to deal with the bathroom smell.
I was a Denny's waitress and parttime manager for 17 years. I cannot think of any reason why a manager would not allow you to sit where you wanted to. It is possible tho that if you had mentioned it to your waitress she may have been able to move you.
The customer should be made to feel comfortable and welcome, and Denny's Manager FAILED!
I have witnessed numerous incidents Racial Incidents, Stealing, Changing Dates on food products,....(I've seen it all!) These incidents should have been reported to people higher up, my complaints were stopped and played down by management. Denny's Managers are not the brightest Bulbs in the bunch.
Your best move is to never go in that restaurant again.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Susan - (U.S.A.)

Hi, I was a Denny's waitress and parttime manager for 17 years. I finally left the company for my own reasons which are many. As to you $1.99 unauthorized charge. I do agree that you should have persued the matter as you did, but it has been my experience that just entering the wrong table number on the cashier terminal can bring up another customer's total. It just might have happened to be a customer whose check was $1.99 more than yours. Trust me you are very lucky it wasn't a $20 or $40 difference! If a waitress cashed you out, it's possible that she may have been rushed and hit the wrong table number. I worked for Denny's in Southington, CT and the amount of work expected from the waitstaff was phenominal! It's no wonder that mistakes happen.
If you left a Quarter tip because you were made to feel uncomfortable or out of place, then that is what the waitress earned because I am sure she could sense how you felt and obviously did nothing to correct it. I say she earned her Quarter!

It wasn't the server's fault

AUTHOR: A - (U.S.A.)

It wasn't the servers fault that you were unhappy if the manager was who you were dealing with. I think it's a bit unfair to leave him/her a quarter when it wasn't their fault.

Solution to discrepancy on cash card used at Denny's Restaurant

AUTHOR: Judith - (U.S.A.)

Today I checked with my bank again and the $1.99 charge which Denny's Restaurant had added to my bill without my permission was cancelled. Therefore, I was thankful I didn't have to go back to that restaurant again. Pays to complain and from now on I will try not to frequent the Denny's Restaurants where I have had problems (poor service, employees' with attitude problems, etc.) and and will never use my cash card there. I still do not understand how Denny's Restaurant could have software that automatically charges $1.99 to authorize the use of a cash card and not be aware of that. Wouldn't other customers have that problem too? If there was, indeed, something shady going on, then I guess I can't blame Denny's Restaurant for an employee who may have some kind of scheme if they were unaware of his activities.

AUTHOR: Judith - (U.S.A.)

I have had problems with a couple of Denny's in our area. One night we saw a couple mice scurrying under two booths. That was quite unappetizing and when I told the manager, he just had me sign a complaint form. No discount on our order though.

Then last Sunday I went to a different suburban Denny's restaurant with my boyfriend who uses a wheelchair. They gave me the feeling that it was a chore for them to serve us. When I paid the bill with my check card, they added on an extra $1.99 to my $9.99 bill. That charge wasn't listed on the receipt. I didn't learn about this charge until I found my checkbook off today. This is the second time that has happened at Denny's. The first time that happened, I paid it, but since it happened again, I contacted my bank. Earlier today I talked to a manager at Denny's Restaurant, and he said it was my bank's fee to use my check card. My bank, however, said it was not their charge and that it could be a Denny's Restaurant software problem. "And Denny's Restaurant may not even be aware of it."

In any event, I plan to investigate this unauthorized use of my check card by the Denny's Restaurant. After wasting all this time on this $1.99 charge, the Denny's manager did say he would refund my money if I get a statement from the bank which says that that $1.99 charge isn't their fee.