Complaint Review: Department ofVeterans Affairs

• Submitted: Sun, April 15, 2012
  • Updated: Sat, May 19, 2012

• Reported By: Remember the lies. — mesilla park New Mexico United States of America
Department ofVeterans Affairs
5001 n. piedras street El Paso, Texas United States of America

Department ofVeterans Affairs Forgotten, not recognized, promises not kept. El Paso, Texas

*Consumer Comment: You could

*Author of original report: Follow uo to the follow up.

*Consumer Comment: Understand, there are different types of ratings

*Author of original report: Finally

*Consumer Comment: I won't pretend to know much...

*Consumer Comment: You were in the Army right?

*Consumer Comment: What type of discharge did you get

*Consumer Comment: No, it is you who is confused. My advice will get you paid.

*Author of original report: Steve start your own report please.

*Author of original report: Steve go argue with your wife.

*Consumer Comment: I'm easy to find.

*General Comment: Agree with Statements about Department of Veterans Affairs

*Author of original report: I am unable to find you on the web steve.

*Consumer Comment: I never called you a liar.

*Author of original report: So now Im a liar.

*Consumer Comment: I got a medical discharge too. Your story doesn't add up.

*Author of original report: Steve you sound like a broken record.

*Consumer Comment: You might have brought on your own problems, but also some advice here

*Author of original report: forgot to mention this.

Upon my return from the first Persian Gulf War I was medically retired as I could not perform my duties in US ARMY. For 20+ years I have been without health care, treated, compensated, recognized, or able to lead a normal lifestyle. With age the problems get worse.

Before the Persian Gulf War in 1990, I was in the best shape in my life. I had completed a class 1 flight physical for a Special Forces application, and was on a fast track to meeting my career goals.  Within 2 months upon my return stateside, it was evident I was having medical problems. Instead of treating me, my unit took the next three months discrediting me, threatening me to be quiet, and then finally discharging me.

I soon found out civilian doctors would not touch me. I was told by a doctor at the time, they were not allowed to practice that kind of medicine. I visited several VA Medical Centers, only two actually treated me. But they just doped me up and sent me out the door. I still suffer greatly everyday, and have become unable to perform any type of work to support myself.

I have filed for a service connected disability, and compensation. This is my fifth or sixth attempt. Normally a 7 months process it has been over 2 years. I was just notified that my service records can not be found. So again I will be denied any help.

I lost my career, my wife and children, and more also my health. I cant grin and bear it. I cant lie about it anymore to get a job. I cant even care for myself very well.

I volunteered and I don't want sympathy. I would just like to be healthy again. One of the many promises made to me back in 1983 was free medical care for life. That now no longer exist. Nor have the undiagnosed medical conditions I returned home with have been recognized.

They take care of 10,000 soldiers, and say, "Look what a good job we have done". But there are over 90 million of us. Without my original service records, I can not get help from SSI or any other agency. As of to date, no lawyer will help.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/15/2012 02:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Department-ofVeterans-Affairs/El-Paso-Texas-79930/Department-ofVeterans-Affairs-Forgotten-not-recognized-promises-not-kept-El-Paso-Texa-868983. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Department ofVeterans Affairs

You could

AUTHOR: Chad - (USA)

You could try some of the excellent advice you were given, instead of continuing to whine. It's not like your records could ever be completely expunged, even if someone was trying. There's just too many traces in too many places.

You also don't generally get walked to the gate after 8 years of service and get told not to return. So I think there's a LOT more (or really, less) to the story than what you're saying. If you were telling the truth, you'd have taken Steve's advice or his personal help, which he kindly offered more than once.

So I'll be the big jerk. I don't believe you. I think you're probably trying to commit fraud and you're upset that they won't let you do it unquestioned. I also don't believe no lawyer will help you. I think they won't touch you with a 10 ft pole because your story doesn't stand up to basic examination. You have no records of any kind at all, no paper trail through the service at all, no records of past addresses with the service, no certificates, no orders, nothing. I suspect that you immediately jumped at Steve for calling you a liar when he did no such thing and has been nothing but gentle, pleasant and helpful implies that you are, in fact, a liar. I definitely don't believe you couldn't find Steve on the web. It took me all of 20 seconds to find a "Contact Us" page on his company's site that I bet would get a message to him with no problem.

So please, prove me wrong. Contact him, get put in touch with people who can actually help you, if you are telling the truth. If you're legit, it's vital that you get your treatment, help, and the disability pay you're owed.

Follow uo to the follow up.

AUTHOR: Remember the lies. - (United States of America)

Well I actually believed the VA was gonna do something after 20 years. Not only did I not receive a award letter, but they are denying past claims, and continuing new claims(after 2 years0, and Im have to have the test done over again as they are now outdated.

Understand, there are different types of ratings

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

You first get a generic rating from the military which is just that, generic.

It does not entitle you to any compensation or any real medical services.

It is usually just a 10% rating, which is NOT a "VA Rating".

Once you get your DOD rating, you must apply for VA benefits.

Any rating from the VA of less than 30% makes you ineligible for compensation, and you get virtually no medical treatment other than a yearly physical with blood woork.

To get compensation, and medical care, as a minimum, you need to get at least a 30% VA rating and your ID card MUST have the "Service Connected" Annotation on it for you to get benefits of any kind from the VA.

For example, when I first got out with injuries, I got a DOD rating at the time of my discharge, and that was 10% which meant absolutely nothing.

Then, I had to apply for my VA Benefits, and 10 months later I got an initial rating of 30% from the VA, which entitled me to monthly compensation, and medical benefits, although limited. Then, as time goes on, that percentage is adjusted up or down depending on additional information presented for re-consideration bt the VA Board. The witing time is paid retroactively from the date of application once you are awarded.

The nice thing about getting VA Medical Care, is that you are dealing mostly with other Veterans as your providers, and they go the extra mile for you over and above what your % entitles you to. And, on the slim chance you do get a bill for something outside your entitlements, it is very small, like a co-pay. I have gotten bills for major services for like $8, $12, $30, etc..No big deal. That is very rare to get a bill.

In the past 8 years that I have been getting VA care, I don't think I have paid $100 total in co-pays.

I doubt that I would still be alive without the VA, as they have treated me for life threatening conditions as I had no other insurance.

I have only good things to say about the VA, as they do so much for Veterans, even though they suffer budget cuts every year, and have to do more with less.

I am truly thankful to have the VA. They do a great job.

Finally

AUTHOR: Remember the lies. - (United States of America)

Just a update. Today after over 20 years of trying I received a Rating, it was service connected. There are still several issues pending as my service records were lost by my unit. All attempts have been made to reproduce these records. It isnt a perfect world, but I feel a promise has been kept. I dont feel unrecognized anymore. I dont feel forgotten.

There has been many hurdles and a lt pf pain and suffering. But I now have my foot in the door to get some much needed help.

I wish anyone reading this who is in the same shoes as I dont believe Im the only one, to not give up and try to outlast the red tape.

I won't pretend to know much...

AUTHOR: Nicole - (United States of America)

I won't pretend to know much about the military, I don't at all.  The extent of my knowledge is that my grandfather was a high ranking member of the air force.  That's about it.  I respect everyone who has ever been in any branch of the armed forces, so forgive me if my questions sound dumb, but I honestly have no frame of reference.

One of my big questions is why will no civilian doctor see or treat you?  I was under the impression that doctors were not allowed to pick and chose patients.  I can see if they don't take your insurance or something silly like that, but I've never heard of a doctor going "You were in the military, I refuse to even look at you."

What kind of issues do you have health wise that prohibit you from working?  If you can't get SSI or any kind of assistance, how are you able to take care of yourself?  Are you able to at least receive unemployment?

I guess my real huge issue is again, I just have never heard of a doctor flat out refusing to treat because of military background.

You were in the Army right?

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Then why are you have the Navy look through their personnel records. That is why they cant find you. You should be going to www.archives.gov/veteran.

What type of discharge did you get

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

If you were told to leave and never come back I would assume dishonorable.

If you have a real DD214 that should be proof enough of your service for starters. Is the DD214 what you showed the VA to begin with? You went twice and they treated you. There has to be a record somewhere of that treatment.

You should have at the very least been given some of your service jacket documentation when you were discharged.

No, it is you who is confused. My advice will get you paid.

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

My advice will allow you to get this into a court of law and get paid.

Yes, you can sue the federal government for your back benefits and future entitlements.

What about your tax returns??You DID pay taxes while you were in the military for those 8 years, right??

These alone would prove your military service, and get your benefits denial overturned.

You can get copies of thos tax return transcriptrs from the IRS.

They will show who your employer was.

You can also get transcripts from the SS Administration that will show who paid into your SS acct.

There are just far too many ways to prove that you served in the military, if you actually did.

You have not answered one of my questions with a truthful answer, and you have not followed any of my advice.

I even offered you my help on 2 different occasions to help you get this done.

So, do you want to prevail in this matter and get your benefits, or do you want to sit here and badmouth the VA?

It's a black and white issue.

It is real simple.

If you did in fact serve 8 years, I could get that proof and get you paid.

Guaranteed.

Steve start your own report please.

AUTHOR: Remember the lies. - (United States of America)

You are a god steve. Thats why I am so messed up. Guys like you and your attitude have nothing to do with this. My records mean nothing, they want only the ones sent to them from the nprc. You are very confused steve. I dont need this. Stop it. stop it. stop it.

Steve go argue with your wife.

AUTHOR: Remember the lies. - (United States of America)

Steve you want to argue, I am here looking for the VA to respond. I dont need your trash talk so go somewhere else, this is very upsetting to me.

If you are a young man or woman considering going into the service, beware. I would consider the Peace Corps.

I appreciate the supportive remarks and they are welcome. They lets me know I am not alone.

Please if you dont have any helpful information, please dont clutter up or hi-jack my thread. Thanks.

I'm easy to find.

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

Keep in mind that I fully understand what you are saying.

There is no misunderstanding on my end.

However, after 8 years of service, you would have accumulated so much personal documentation, that I find it hard to believe that you would have had none after separation.

What about your original enlistment contract?

You don't have that?

Do you remember where you enlisted? Contact them.

What MEPS station did you process through?

They will also keep a copy of your entrance physical.

You get certificates for everything you do in the military, for example, you get one at your graduation of basic training, you get one for every course you take, you get one when you went through your NCO leadership class, etc..

What about copies of TDY or PCS orders??

How many duty stations did you have?

When you left basic training, you got orders to your next duty station, right?

Everyone I know from the military made copies of all of their medical records while they were still in service, just because of stories like this. You never made copies of anything in 8 years??

What about people you served with?

You could have them subpoena'd in a court case to testify that they served with you.

I find it hard to belive that you did not make 1 long-term friendship in 8 years of military service.

I made several, and still communicate with them.

What about names of reporting officials and supervisors.

You get a written performance review every single year (APR/EPR, etc.).

You never kept a copy of any of these?

You can search out people you served with and get affidavits from them that they knew you and served with you.

AND....Stay off the phone!

It appears that you are making phone calls.

All of your requests need to be in writing and sent via certified mail, return reciept requested.

Put the certified# in the body of the letter itself and keep a copy for your records.

Believe me, all records are archived, and there are also fragments of records scattered all over at any base you served at. Local hospital records are maintained at each duty station you served at.

From my 10 years of service, I have a stack of paperwork that will fill a filing cabinet.

Yes, I kept everything.

I'm sure at some point you got a security clearance, right?

Well, the FBI will have that on file.

There is just too much missing here.

You never explained why you do not have so much as 1 piece of paper from your 8 years of military service. I just find that amazing.

Did you subscribe to one of those credit monitoring services like I suggested?

They will provide you with your past addresses and employment history alot further back than you may think.

Like I said, mine is still there, back to the summer of 1981 (when I turned 18).

The 3-bureau credit monitoring subscription is essential, and it won't cost you anything to join if you cancel during the free trial period! (No excuses).

Many amateurs on this site have searched me out and found me, so it's not that hard.

I am all over the internet, as is my place of business. (Look at my name in this forum...hint..)

In any case, 8 years of military service cannot just get erased. There are too many local records, and too many different databases, and believe it or not, they do not all connect.

#12 General Comment

Agree with Statements about Department of Veterans Affairs

AUTHOR: The Legal Eagle - (United States of America)

I have had my medical records changed after the fact for the purpose of denying due benefits. I recently caught them changing a C&P exam 2 years after the fact to deny me benefits, while my primary care physician agreed with the C&P exam, before the exam. I have one outstanding claim that is 20 years old. They simply delay and delay and delay, hoping that you will die before the correct benefits are paid. Benefits that we earned and due by law. One thing you can't change is the medical records. The recent incident, since I have proof of intentional altering to deny benefits, has been turned over to the Inspector General of the Veterans Administration. We will see what they do. Most likely, nothing. But one thing the service taught me, is to never, ever give up or give in. Ever.

I do believe the medical side of the VA is perhaps the best in the world. I have never had an issue with medical care. Only the administrative side of the VA system when it comes to granting benefits that are legally due.

I am unable to find you on the web steve.

AUTHOR: Remember the lies. - (United States of America)

Steve I appreciate your help. But as I have explained twice, those methods are not working. As for SSI, they want a copy of the service records.

I dont know how well your up with the military forms and procedures. But in a nutshell, after serving 8 years honorably, I was given a training discharge. You know, the ones guys get that cant cut basic training. A simple review of my discharge clearly shows that. This type of discharge is not available to someone with 8 years of service. No medical board reviewed anything steve, I promise you.

The fact the NPRC cannot locate my records, and has sent me a letter to the fact seems to not be sinking in steve. This is a national records center where your records are kept depending on when you got out of service.

To summarize, my discharge is messed up, and my service records never made it to the records center.

Steve the real problem is Govt workers arent held accountable, nor do they really care about thier jobs. I have seen very few who do. I have talked with hundreds over the years in this matter and all avenues have been exhausted. This is where I am supposed to give up. But I know sooner or later they will be cleaning house as we just cant afford such a mess.

I never called you a liar.

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

I never called you a liar.

I simply stated that your account of how things happened just doesn't make sense, and I find it hard to believe that you don't have in your possession any evidence at all of your military service.

You say you cannot post what you do have for whatever reason..WHY NOT? Maybe doing so would bring the needed attention to your cause!

After all, what do you have to lose?

Nothing.

What about the credit report thing?

Do that. It will show your addresses while in the military.

There are so many ways to go here.

It appears that you have given up, and just want to complain.

I offered you my help.

Twice.

So now Im a liar.

AUTHOR: Remember the lies. - (United States of America)

Steve you say it cant happen as it didnt happen that way for you. But I assure you it did happen. I dont believe I can post any documents on here to show proof. But your right it doesnt add up and no one wants to fix it.

I have been called a fake and a liar for 20 years Steve. Even by Veterans like yourself that cannot believe a mistake like this could happen. There is no policy for this type of thing so the military cant fix it. So the only thing left to do is blame back on the soldier.

For minute put your self in my shoes. I am not recognized nor treated for my conditions. I lost my family, my career, and any chance of being productive. I was lied to, and not its swept under the rug. I will say the only comfort I found is I was not alone, there is many like myself Steve. There is also those who died after they returned, but we dont talk about that do we.

Do you know what the medical term my doctors use in the reports of my recent visits? They say I "Babble" Steve. If this were you and you tried the things I have mentioned, what else would you do?

My fate lies in the hands of my now retired unit commanders. They are the only ones who can fix this. But they would suffer a Court Marshall for such nonsense, so no help is forthcoming. They did wrong and they know it when they did it. This was not the single act of one man, but a act committed by my whole chain of command from the Commanding General of the 82'd Airborne on down as they all were notified by me about this before my discharge.

You say you were there Steve, you know the funny business that goes on when deployed. There is a lot of stuff the public will never see. I cannot put documents on here as there are other partys involved and thats not allowed here.

But I challenge anyone inside or outside the Military to prove one thing wrong I have mentioned here. Just because it hasnt happened to you, doesn't mean it didn't happen. You need to talk to some Viet Nam Vets Steve.

My number one priority when I was a NCO Steve was to take care of my troops. But when I needed help I was discredited, and humiliated in every way you can think of. Do you think my messed up discharge was the beginning of my units problems?

Steve, under the rules and regulations the only people who can fix this is the ones who did it. Im hoping one of them see's this, and grows a conscience. There was a investigation after I left Steve, and all my claims can be easily documented beyond what I have in my files.

Im not trying to give the military a black eye. It was a few individuals in the high rank that did this, not the Military Steve. You think it doesnt add up Steve, take 5 and put your self in my shoes. There is a reason for Homeless vets making up a quarter of all of them. This happens more than you would like to believe. Sorry to bust your bubble Steve. Im glad you one that gets help. So it easier for you to forget about your brothers in arms steve.

I got a medical discharge too. Your story doesn't add up.

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

My discharge from my second period of active duty was a medical discharge, under honorable conditions.I know for a fact that you CANNOT get a medical discharge with the convening of a medical examination board. It simply cannot happen.

So, your story does not add up. You expect me to believe that you do not have any documentation of any proof of your military service?

Your original enlistment documents?

Training records?

Certificates of training?

PCS orders?

TDY orders?

Pictures?

Old ID's

Old uniforms?

How long did you serve?

And you have none of the above?

I find that very hard to believe.

PS...I signed up in 1984 as well, entered basic in 1985 and got out in 1994. That period was USAF Active Duty. Then, a few years later joined the ARNG as a truck driver. Then, later on, 11 years from my first period of active duty, I went back on Active Duty in the Army. That was 2004-2005 when I was discharged for medical reasons. A medical board was convened, and the process took about 3 months.

Your account of the facts does not add up, nor does it make sense that you would have any proof whatsoever of your service. What about people you served with? You didn't make any lasting frienships in the military? I did.

Here's the biggie. Your credit report!

I pulled a 3 bureau credit report via one of the credit monitoring services, and guess what? All of my prior addresses are listed back to 1981!! Including every military base I resided at, and my address of record at each. This is 31 years of personal address history that is available on my current credit reports as of last month.

Why don't you try that?

And, I was NOT kicking you while you were down, as I DID offer you my help. AND that offer still stands!

My comittment to helping Veterans is rock solid.

If you are genuine, and need help, I am here for you.

Steve you sound like a broken record.

AUTHOR: Remember the lies. - (United States of America)

Hi Steve, I am glad you are recieving good care, as you are one of the lucky 10,000. I did not pull that number out randomly. Its a real number. I will try to address your post. The information you provided is excellent and exactly what any veteran should do. I will tell you those steps have been followed by me and others several times over the last 20+ years of trying.

My outprocessing was held up as my service records disappeared. My congressman was involved and the last person to have my medical records was my platoon sergeant. I was not aware of such procedures and believe me no record was provided even though I asked. No medical examination was done as I was being medically discharged. I was not afforded the opportunity for follow up care, nor any counseling offered.

I was escorted to gate 4 with a copy of my DD214 and told to not return. I was honorably discharged.

I had contacted the Inspector General, my congressman, the Battalion and Brigade Sergeant Majors, to include my own chain of command. I have contacted lawyers and was told it would cost thousands of dollars to proceed at the time of my discharge.

The last time I went to a local VSO (verteran service officer), I was told my discharge was fake and I was not even a soldier as I wasn't in his system.

The DAV takes your money and signs you up for membership. But no one was able to help or offer any better advice than what you have proven. I was made a member for life after my discharge.

This is only a small part of the humiliation I received, during my outprocessing and afterwards. I am just putting out the facts that my records were kept by chain of command to circumvent my discharge. My congressman expedited it by his visit.

The last two Congressmen I have asked for help promised the world, but were totally unable to help at all. I dont think they even tried. just sent out a nice letter they were trying.

My last visit to the El Paso VA for a appointment I was asked to leave. I asked to talk with a supervisor and was told no. I filed a complaint with the Patient advocate and have heard nothing from them. When I asked why, I was told to file a release of information in about two weeks. As I was checking my future appointments the clinic involved has put me down for several missed appointment which were untrue.

Now I have called the Regional office in Albuquerque, New Mexico who is really just a call center and they take down info and that's it.

I stand by my statement. I am unrecognized nor promises kept by the military when I originally enlisted in 1984. I have stack of paperwork I have kept over the years of all this. I have nothing to gain by making it up.

Go ahead steve, kick a guy when he is down. I have seen a lot fo that over the last 20 years.

You might have brought on your own problems, but also some advice here

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

First let me say that I am a Disabled Veteran and I recieve an excellent level of care from the VA, and have for the past 7+ years, since my disability claim was approved. I am also a Desert Shield / Storm Veteran.My claim was approved within 4 months total.

Now let me say that I am confused as to why you did not get copies of all of your military medical records when you separated? This is an automatic part of your out processing from active duty, as is a full range of medical -out processing appointments, and transition counseling, etc.

I know this to be true, because I have done it TWICE, as my 2 different periods of active duty were 11 years apart in 2 different services.

You say you don't have your military medical records.

WHY NOT????

Those records are archived, and you can get them upon written request.

Now, let me say that you need to escalate your claim, even if that means getting legal representation.

Join one of the well known Veteran's organizations like the VFW and/or the DAV, as they have service officers that do nothing but assist Veterans with claims for disability compensation, which will include retroactive back pay when you finally get approved. These individuals do this for Veterans for FREE and they are VERY GOOD.

Also, contact your Congressman and/or Senators, etc.

Write as many letters as you can.

Go to the media with your story, like an investigative news channel.Write letters to all talk shows to get you on and tell your story.

Also, you can back door the system, and file for SSDI and use the reason of military service injuries, PTSD, etc.
Go to your local unemployment / jobs office as they have a special representatives just for Veterans. They have the resources and expertise to open many doors for you into many available programs as well.

If you need my help, you can contact me through ROR or search me out on the web.

Good luck,

Steve

forgot to mention this.

AUTHOR: Remember the lies. - (United States of America)

My service records are missing. I believe that is the major hold up for help.