Complaint Review: Destination Movers

• Submitted: Thu, January 03, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, January 11, 2008

• Reported By:Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Destination Movers
410 E. Hallandale Bch. Blvd. Suite #210a Hallandale Beach, Florida U.S.A.

Destination Movers All promises of delivery, price and timing are lies and extortion to get your belongings returned. Hallandale Beach Florida

*UPDATE Employee: Shady Customer

*Author of original report: THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE EXPOSING DESTINATION MOVERS

*UPDATE Employee: Oh Please

*Consumer Comment: Some Questions/Thoughts

*UPDATE Employee: The Waldschmidt's: The truth behind their move.

*Consumer Comment: Yes - You Got a Scam Mover

I contracted with Destination Movers for a move from Florida to Pennsylvania this past December 07. My first contact was with their moving consultant,Erika. She was very nice in the first contacts and promised a delivery of 3-5 days. The horror show began with the pick up; they promised to be at the pick up at 9:00a.m; they showed up at 4:00p.m. They showed up with three people and a 17 foot box truck with no name on the truck. Two of the workers could not speak a word of english; the driver could barely speak english. At 7:45p.m. they were finished loading and told me they were going to the "scales" to weigh the load and I could get the exact cost the following day.

The next day I phoned Erika and was put on hold for 10 minutes;on four consecutive calls. They wanted me to hang up; give up. This went on for 7 DAYS. In the mean time I began documenting with faxes to them demanding to know the price and more importantly at this time the delivery date.

I finally was able to speak with a guy named Ruben; this was only after I reported them to the Department of Transportion. He informed me in his very first sentence that I had incurred a $750 charge for boxing of items. They boxed NOTHING; everythig was boxed. Delivery- that was going to be in 21 days because thats what the law gave him. I had already given these thieves $960; $800 cash at pick up and $160 at the contract. Finally, 18 days after the pick up I got a call from Mayflower movers that they would deliver new years eve. The driver could not give me a price because my belongings had never been weighed. It turns out Destinations Movers has one truck and one driver; they contract all the moves to outside movers. Now for the good part; the truck arrived and they had still not weighed my household items and he demanded $2000 in cash or he would not unload; total CROOKS, liars and thieves. The original estimate was $1600 and I ended up paying $2,960. It was pure and simple extortion; If I wanted all of my all my possessions I had to pay them their price or they drive back to Florida. DONT USE THEM, I AM 58 years old and this was my worst experience as a consumer.

Kathryn
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/03/2008 03:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Destination-Movers/Hallandale-Beach-Florida-33009/Destination-Movers-All-promises-of-delivery-price-and-timing-are-lies-and-extortion-to-ge-296732. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Destination Movers

Shady Customer

Dearest Katheryn,

Again facts are
1) You fail to realize that you electronically signed the estimate for $1680. I have the receipt for that with your IP address as confirmation.

2) You physically signed a revised estimate, therefore the other one was no longer valid.

3) You also signed the revised/new estimate for the packing materials as well.

4) You signed the packing material list authorizing the packing.

5) The truck was weighed with your husband present at all times.

6) The actual price for the move was less than quoted. Plus the packing materials.

7) Delivery was done well within the companies delivery time frame policy, even more so than the legal allotted time frame.

8) We are not unethical or unscrupulous. Next time you move with ANYONE, make sure you read the paper work and understand what you are signing. It is not our fault if you cannot comprehend the paperwork.

Also, I think it is YOU who is unscrupulous and cheap. You are just trying to get your move for free and you are mad that it is not happening. TO ALL MOVING COMPANIES BEWARE!!!!! THIS CUSTOMER ID TRYING TO CHEAT US AND WILL DO THE SAME TO YOU!!!! BEWARE!!!! DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. YOU WILL ONLY HAVE PROBLEMS!!! BEWARE!!!!

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE EXPOSING DESTINATION MOVERS

AUTHOR: Kathryn waldschmidt - (U.S.A.)

To: Yarim I consider this a public service to all consumers that require a moving company out of or through the state of Florida. You folks at Destination movers are unethical, unscrupulous business people. Who, once in possession of a families worldly possesions; exploit and take advantage of your power positon, your company theme must be, " we have all your worldly goods and you will pay our price to get them." Your company never weighed my goods and you admit to thant. THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM AND RESPONSIBILITY.

I agreed to pay for weight. The price was $1625. Not to be exceeded by 10%. I ended up paying $2400!!!! Your usual practice is to rip off the customer with 'PACKING COSTS". This you did to us. Now, to your "PLease"response. I dont think you know the consumer reads your contracts, "Protective moving blankets for non-fragile furniture items"is INCLUDED IN YOUR PRICE. READ YOUR CONTRACT. YOU BOXED NOTHING FOR US, NOTHING. NOTHING. " This site: Rip Off is a fantastic public service, it does expose companies such as yours. I am pleased to see one more complaint recently filed against you on RIP OFF; keep your dirty money. I want nothing from you unethical, unsrupulous business people. I am glad to expose you. TO THE CONSUMER: when every thing you own is placed on a truck; KNOW WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH!!!!!!!! Learn from my mistake.

Oh Please

AUTHOR: Yarim - (U.S.A.)

First, yes the customer may have an estimate for $1625. That was on Nov.21. Now on Nov 27, they gave an item list and was given an updated quote of $1680, and switched from volume to weight. The first quote was for a 10X10 storage. The second was actually based on their item list.

On Nov 28, they were emailed the quote again, and they clicked the link on the bottom to digitally sign the estimate. There is no way that they could have clicked that link and followed the directions by accident. The customer also physically signed the paper estimate, and more than that, he even signed the revision for the packing materials. Therefore, the binding estimate was rescinded.

Again, the customer signed a revised estimate for the packing materials. I just spoke to the driver and he told me that he said no such thing. The customer asked him if he had the packing list with him and he said no. Had they called me, i would have been more than happy to fax it to them, but they didn't. I think the customer dreamt that he crated the 3 televisions, 6 mattress covers, 4 sofa covers, small crate, large crate, tape and bubble wrap they used in his house for his items. The customer keeps saying that we charged them $160 upon reservation, which again is not true. I have proof of everything I am saying, while they have none.

They have no statement from their financial institution showing that there was a $160 charge to their account. Regarding delivery the customer said and i quote "3) I was told verbally(Erika) and on the contract that delivery would be 3-5 days and would only be altered by 'weather and breakdowns.' "end quote.

Nowhere does it say that she will get delivery in 3-5 days. In fact, on the binding estimate it clearly states that the delivery schedule is :

DELIVERY TERMS:
1. Delivery schedule for the same regions are 1-14 business days.
2. Delivery schedule from the East Coast (from or to) the west coast are 1-21 Business Days.
3. Delivery schedule for all other regions are 1-14 business days.
Please note that some deliveries will take place through an affiliate company.

I don't know what is clearer than that. The customer also says, and again, i quote "

4) I was forced to rent furniture at a cost of $101 per week beyond the 5 days when I expected delivery. Destination owes me approx $1000(box charge and rental)not extortion, they owe me this amount." end quote.

Had they read their estimate as they were supposed to, they would have seen that and common sense would have told them to take the proper measures to make sure they don't have a problem. Therefore regarding that $1000, we don't owe them anything. They said "send us the check or else...." that is an extortion demand, along with several other demanding letters they faxed from their work place. It was not a request for reimbursement.

Now, granted maybe we went about the weighing wrong, and i apologize for that if we did, however, that doesn't change the fact that they signed a revised estimate.

Jim, it is not the subcontractor that wrapped the items, it was my driver. An employee of the company. I saw the job personally, in the middle of my warehouse, and saw items that were packed by my driver. Again, I apologize to the customer if we were wrong in how the balance issue was handled, but that doesn't mean we tried to rip them off. Again, not only did we deliver well within the legal limits, but we also delivered well within the company's delivery schedule. Therefore, they are not entitled to any refund.

Jim, if you would like, you can email me your phone number and your fax, and i will be more than happy to show you all the letters they sent me. My email is (((ROR removed for security purposes)))

AUTHOR: Kathryn waldschmidt - (U.S.A.)

1) My household goods were never weighed. The driver told me this in fact. The driver claimed an attempt to weigh the truck after my delivery. " Destination originally estimated,(based on my inventory,) that the weight would be 6,600lbs; thats in writing. Destination gave me an estimate based on the inventory of $1625 not to be exceeded by 110% or$1787.The ultimate price I paid was an arbitrary number.

2)Box charge of $750. Destination movers did NOT box one item.That is a complete fraud. The Mayflower driver, Mr. Gadi Oren can confirm this fact." The truth is nothing needed boxed; it had all been done.They owe me $750 for services not rendered.

3) I was told verbally(Erika) and on the contract that delivery would be 3-5 days and would only be altered by "weather and breakdowns."

5) The only extortion was when Reuben demanded $2000 cash at time of delivery beyond the already paid $800 cash at pick up and $160 at the contract.

6) I told Reuben that they either refund me or I get the truth out on the internet. The truth is NOT slander. Obviously, they get away with these practices more than often.

Some Questions/Thoughts

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

I have some questions/thoughts:

To the mover:

1. How is it that the consumer has a quote in her hand for $1600, even without the materials? Did the consumer fill out an inventory sheet or did someone come out and do the survey?

2. Why would there be a matierials charge if your subcontractor did not do any packing? There is nothing in your post suggesting your sub did any packing, and the consumer clearly states there was nothing to pack. If there is nothing to pack, then the job was just a load, drive, and unload. Are you absolutely certain the mover you contracted with is being straight with you?

3. Even if the move cost $1300 more than your estimate, the most you can collect is 110% of the estimate at destination and the rest is billed later. Accordingly, the amount they should have collected legally is $800 at destination ($960 paid before delivery and $800 at delivery), or $1,760 in total and then bill them for the $1200 remainder afterward. You can't legally collect $2000, and then refund the difference, even if that is the amount due for the move after the load is accurately weighed.

That is something you need to apologize to the consumer for. Having said this, you should not pay the consumer anything other than what is due to them in the form of a refund. If they demand more than what they're entitled to and open a website as you claim they're going to do, then I would take them to court - that is just wrong.

To The Consumer:

1. The mover legally has 21 business days under the DOT to deliver your items; any verbal assurances they made to you have no bearing and are not binding on a mover. If they didn't deliver within the time frame, you claim file a delay claim and see if they'll pay it, but they aren't obligated to do anything in this regard.

2. I would hope what the mover claimed is not correct and you did not demand $1000 - otherwise you would put up a website slandering them. If that is the case, I only hope you have several thousand dollars you have no need for, as it will cost you that much in legal fees to defend yourself when he sues you. He may not win, but you'll still be out the money either way and the mover has more resources than you do to force you to get rid of the website in this case. There is a website currently being sued by a mover for just such a thing; the mover has no case, but the mover is hoping to force a shut-down of the site when the consumer no longer has the means to defend himself.

3. The mover did wrong to collect more than 110% of the total at destination, but the likelihood is that you still would have paid $2,960 in the end - depending on whether the mover can justify the materials charge and the weight turns out to be more than was initially thought. As the mover indicated, there is likely a refund due to you anyway, and there will be an itemized listing of your charges with the amount of the refund. Accordingly, you may not be out $2,960 - it may be less than that, depending on the weight and the boxes.

4. Let me say what I tell all consumers: Moving is not an inexpensive venture with a full-service mover and expecting the cheapest to be the cheapest in this industry is not going to happen most of the time and this is something consumers need to be aware of. The cheapest company is the company that competently moves you and your items from origin to destination (1) without breaking your items, (2) within the delivery window requested. Often, that is the company most consumers WON'T choose because it costs the most money out of pocket. It most certainly is NOT the person who bids the least amount if you shop around. To put it another way, the consumer who chooses the least expensive mover can find themselves paying more for the move (in terms of time spent chasing things down, delayed delivery, and broken items) than if they were to choose one of the major named movers who estimated the move might be $500 more than the mover you chose.

I'm not certain anyone can tell you whether $2,960 is a rip-off or not to move you from what you posted because we don't know (a) everything that was done, and (b) what the weight of the shipment was. I know the methodology of collecting $2,000 was very wrong and not legal and I would hope the mover makes good on this to you. If the mover makes the refund within 30-50 days of the delivery date with an itemized list of what comprised the final cost of the move, then I would say the mover did what they could do to make this right, and hope the mover complies with the law in the future.

The Waldschmidt's: The truth behind their move.

AUTHOR: Yarim - (U.S.A.)

Hello everyone. My name is Yarim. I am the manager of the company. I would like to take this time to rebuttal this customer's complaint, and blackmail/extortion letter that i received from the customer this morning via fax. The customer states that if I don't send him a check for $1000 he will build a website against me. He will do this when his brother "the software guy comes to visit from California". I am going to speak to my lawyer about suing this customer for blackmail, extortion, and slander.

Now, when this customer was picked up the scales were already closed. My driver cannot hang around and wait for the morning till the scales re-opened. With no dis-respect intended, we have a business to run and we have other customers to attend to as well. Therefore, we decided to weigh the items at delivery, with the customer accompanying the driver, which he did. The driver then asked him to pay $2000 in good faith for the move and whatever the weight is, he will be refunded the difference if need be, or extra if there is additional weight above the estimate. Well, the driver and customer went to the scale and weighed the truck. The crew then unloaded, and weighed the truck again. The driver then refunded the customer $400 dollars, as the weight was slightly lower than the estimate. The customer has copies of the weight tickets. The only thing the customer was charged extra was $753 for packing materials, which are not included in the price and clearly states that on the estimate.

They also state that they paid $160 at the time of reservation with a credit card. They did send the information for the reservation, however, they were never charged. We don't charge unless there is a cancellation less than 72 hours before the scheduled move. They can verify that with their financial institution. So his total, which was, $1680 + 753 = 2433. He paid 2800 - 400 = 2400. If you do the math, it comes out that he received a $33 discount on the packing materials. He was not charged anything for extra weight or any B.S. services. I have the list of all the packing materials used, and the customer even signed a revised estimate for the packing materials, as well as the price list for the packing and services. I also have his electronic signature for the estimate of $1680 with the clear notification that the packing services and materials are not included.

With regards to delivery. We picked up these customers on Dec. 17, 2007. Again, it clearly states on the estimate that is signed by them, that delivery schedule for the east coast region, is 1-14 business days. The legal limit is up to 21 business days. If you pull out a calendar and start counting, you will see that the 14th business day is TODAY! No one told them that it would be in 21 business days, rather they were told it could take up to 21 Business days. It even states that it may take up to 21 business days on the delivery address information sheet they filled out and signed. They received delivery on Dec. 31 2007. Thats exactly 10 business days from the date we picked up their items. We were well within the time frame that we quote, much less in the time frame set forth by the governing agencies.

Yes - You Got a Scam Mover

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Unfortunately, you got taken by a scam mover pulling the classic moving scam on you. Did they ever provide you copies of the weight tickets - I mean if they never weighed the load, how did they come up with the $2000?

Another thing you may wish to consider is suing in small claims for the difference between the quote you received in writing and the final amount paid to you; check and see if there are any restrictions on the Bill of Lading that tell you if there are any restrictions on where you must bring suit. I say that only because you may have to sue in Florida.

I would sue both Destination Movers and who ever did the destination delivery. My guess is that it isn't the Mayflower movers many of us in the industry know because they have enough work without getting moves subcontracted to them, so you will need to find out who it really is. I would hazard a guess and say the amount that you should be refunded might be about 50% of the difference between the original quote and what you paid, however that is an estimate and should not be confused with anything that remotely resembles what you might actually get back.