Complaint Review: Devry University Online

• Updated: Sat, March 07, 2009

• Reported By:collinsville Mississippi
Devry University Online
Portland,, Oregon U.S.A.

Devry University Online Assured my aid and loans would cover expenses and after I began they did not cover everything and I have a high out of pocket expense Portland Oregon

*Consumer Suggestion: Only options are private loans or dropping classes

*Consumer Suggestion: I'm in a similar financial situation, but DeVry has helped me all the way

*UPDATE Employee: Who was your Advisor?

*Consumer Suggestion: You will need private loans to cover the balance

Before enrolling I was very concerned about my aid covering every expense. I was told it would cover my costs and after five weeks of begging for them to help me and explain the process to me. I found myself struggling with a bill and I have no idea what I am even paying for. I also was told they would block my classes if I did not call them. Why bother to call because they do not care about my finances. I live on a very tight budget of $792 a month and there is no way I cannot afford their expenses. I expressed my concerns way before I decided to enroll.

Now I am in a huge bind. I have my rent, food, utilities, and medical expenses and have no means to pay them. They received three loans and that was not enough according to them. They worked hard to mislead me and now they do not care about my concerns. I have begged for weeks for help but there is no help. They also threatened to stop my classes if I did not call them. I paid dearly for these classes and they have been paid all but the balance I owe them. I have never paid any expense at any other school and now they charged me for god knows what.

I could not even get them to explain to me what I was paying for and how much.

It is not a good school and they do not care about the students.

They are interested in enrollment and nothing else.

Patty
collinsville, Mississippi

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/03/2008 04:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Devry-University-Online/Portland-Oregon/Devry-University-Online-Assured-my-aid-and-loans-would-cover-expenses-and-after-I-began-th-336849. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Devry University Online

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Only options are private loans or dropping classes

AUTHOR: Kevin - (U.S.A.)

I was in a similar situation and the only way out was to either take out yet another loan (already had 2 Stafford loans) or drop all my classes. If you drop classes early enough you'll be able to get a full refund or at least half a refund. If you really wish to continue at DeVry you NEED a private loan, or else you'll just have to drop your classes and never look back.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

I'm in a similar financial situation, but DeVry has helped me all the way

AUTHOR: Sfbmod - (U.S.A.)

My family currently lives on disability income of about $1200 a month. My EFC score at FASFA is 0. I'm able to take classes at DeVry University online full time for 12 credit hours every tri-semester, fully paid by the Pell grant and a combination of other government backed loans. The financial aid advisors at DeVry have been absolutely stellar and have helped me understand my tuition and loan costs better than the advisors I went through at a state university before my wife and I were disabled.

Now my wife did accure a $3,000 fee at DeVry last summer because her eye sight became so bad she could not finish her online classes and withdrew late in her last semester. This was all fully explained and warned about by the DeVry administrators before it happened. They tried everything they could to help her finish her classes and keeping the financial aid available to cover those classes for her. They've been extremely patient with us trying to pay off that bill now for almost a year. We're currently waiting on the Commission for the Blind to see if they can help resolve that debt with DeVry for us. But DeVry has done everything else so far to help us prevent this from affecting our credit score rating. We have yet to write a letter to the DeVry executive staff asking if they can forgive the debt if the Commission for the Blind is unable too. I'm very confident they may be so willing given the extremely thoughtful and kind attitude they've given us over these last 2 years. I strongly recommend this school to anyone and everyone for this and many other reasons.

AUTHOR: Dvinsider - (U.S.A.)

You need to immediately contact your Advisor's Director. If this is true, they will be fired.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

You will need private loans to cover the balance

AUTHOR: Jane - (U.S.A.)

I have been through the financial aid process at other schools. Federal student loans put a cap on how much you can borrow per semester. The financial aid officer should have told you that. You will need to take out private loans to cover the difference. DeVry has something called Educard which is a private loan to cover your books. They should have other private loans you can apply for as well. I would try calling the corporate number to speak with someone about this situation.