• Report: #920059

Complaint Review: Devry University

• Submitted: Tue, July 31, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, August 17, 2012

• Reported By: Shawn — Phoenix Arizona U.S.A.
Devry University
Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

Devry University Keller Graduate School of Management Holding Veteran's Benefits Phoenix, Arizona

*UPDATE Employee: DeVry University Student Finance

*Consumer Comment: To Outlaw

*Consumer Comment: Be sure to report team rebutt

*Consumer Comment: comment

I graduated Summa c*m Laude at Devry. I didn't have any problems during the first part of my attendance; however, student finance became incompetent during my last semester with their processing of my Post 911 GI Bill payments.  They did not report my attendance to the VA until 7 weeks into the 1st session.  The VA promptly sent payment to Devry 2 weeks after receiving the attendance verification. Devry held on to the VA payment and did not post it to my student account.  Devry had received payment for my tuition via my stafford loan so they were not too worried about posting the VA payment to my account since it would generate a refund to me.  For 4 weeks I made several inquiries about my GI Bill payment. I was told several things such as "the VA didn't send

payment" to "we aren't sure and we're looking into it". I had a feeling they were intentionally holding the money. After much persistence on my part the VA payment was posted to my account 4 weeks after Devry had received it from the VA.

After graduating from Devry, I enrolled with Devry's Keller Graduate School of Management. Not surprising, Devry delayed reporting my attendance to the VA again. Upon notification, the VA promptly sent payment to Devry on July 12, 2012; but, Devry is holding on to the payment. It is July 31, 2012 and the payment has still not been applied to my account. I did not have a stafford loan so Devry is still showing that I haven't paid my tuition.

Now the kicker: Devry placed a hold on my student account on 7-24-12 which keeps me from registering, requesting transcripts, etc.  The hold (due to the past due balance) was placed on my account 12 days after they had already received the VA payment.  I have contacted Devry's student finance department several times but I am not receiving any response other than "we are looking into it". Once again, I feel that they intentionally hold the VA payments as a way of manipulating their financial status. This practice started right around the time that Devry was reporting low attendance rates and lower profits.

Crain's Chicago Business reported on July 23, 2012: "DeVry Inc. announced today that it will cut roughly 570 jobs through the next two months as it works to offset falling revenue due to lower enrollment" and "Mr. Hamburger said in the release that the companywill continue to find ways to shave $50 million in expenses in fiscal 2013, which began July 1".

Sorry to say, I am leaving Devry/Keller.  The course schedule fits well with my personal schedule and the instructors are experts in their field which is why I chose Devry in the first place.  I just can't trust that Devry has their students' best interest in mind.  Finally, I don't appreciate Devry's financial aid department fudging and messing with my Veteran's benefits.  I earned them and I am entitled to them.

(((Link redacted)))

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2012 12:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Devry-University/Phoenix-Arizona-/Devry-University-Keller-Graduate-School-of-Management-Holding-Veterans-Benefits-Phoenix-920059. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Devry University

DeVry University Student Finance

AUTHOR: DeVry University - (United States of America)

Dear Shawn,

Were truly sorry to hear about this situation and would like to help.  We value all of our students and alumni and we want to work with you to deliver the excellent student experience you deserve.

Can you e-mail us at DeVrySocial@DeVry.edu so that we can discuss this issue further?  In addition, we are very proud of our long history of educating and supporting Americas military personnel and the veteran community and we look forward to supporting you.

Sincerely,

Student Finance
DeVry University
www.DeVry.edu

To Outlaw

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

Are you referring to me? I consider myself a proud member of Team Rebut so I have to ask...

Be sure to report team rebutt

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

When their advice doesn't work, please report the team

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

Schools are required to report to the VA any changes in enrollment (registering, withdrawal, drop) within 30 days.  If you can prove that DeVry withheld that notification, please contact the VA so that they're aware of it.  The for-profit schools are ripping off servicemembers and vets all the time.  This might help bring awareness and stop them from doing it to someone else.

When you report this to the VA, make sure to include the name of the VA certifying offical at DeVry.  This was HIS responsibility.  I wish you good luck!!