Complaint Review: Dex Online

• Submitted: Wed, February 25, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, February 28, 2009

• Reported By:Palmer Lake Colorado
Dex Online
www.dexonline.com Colorado Springs, Colorado U.S.A.

Dex ONline Media Renewing Contract after being told on phone not to Colorado Springs Colorado

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: It has to be in writing

My business had a contract with Dex Media for one year for which we paid through our Qwest phone bill. I received a phone call asking about renewing and told them I must speak to my husband/partner. They then called back and we told them NO, we do not want any more advertising with them, just the free, basic listing.

When I received my current phone bill, there is a charge for Dex Media Online for twice the cost as last year. I phoned them immediately and told them I had spoken to rep. and did not want any more advertising. They denied I had spoken to them the second time about denying future ad. and said it was too late, our ad renewed and I had to pay for the full year.

I tried calling their claims number, the rep I spoke to, etc. They said we had to pay and if we didn't, they would submit us to collections.

I have tried and not been able to resolve this. We are a small business that is trying to survive without paying for extra advertising that we don't need. Dex says when you call them that the call may be recorded, but when I asked for them to look this up, they only have 'notes' about the first call.

I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau for which they have an 'F' rating. Please, do not do business with them.

Kerri
Palmer Lake, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/25/2009 09:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dex-Online/Colorado-Springs-Colorado/Dex-ONline-Media-Renewing-Contract-after-being-told-on-phone-not-to-Colorado-Springs-Color-428260. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dex Online

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

It has to be in writing

AUTHOR: Christina - (U.S.A.)

Hi there,

I understand your story and I'm sorry to hear that Dex has been awful to your business. I used to work for them, and I was very unhappy with the way they treated employees as well as customers. The thing with the cancellation is that it has to be put in writing for legal reasons. We were trained to say that "it was in your advertising agreement that you signed when you first advertised with us" but really, who reads every single line of the fine print anyway? However, we were told the reason is because someone could have easily pretend to be you on the phone, and cancel your advertising, causing you to miss out on a year's worth of advertising. That's their reasoning behind the written cancellation requirement.

Personally, I do not believe in Dex as a company. They are a bad place to work, and an even worse place to do business with. The yellow pages is dying anyway, go with search engine marketing instead and invest your dollars on web advertising where people will be most likely to find you on Google or yahoo.

Hope that helps.