Complaint Review: Dex Yellow Pages

• Submitted: Sat, August 11, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, February 28, 2009

• Reported By:Seattle Washington
Dex Yellow Pages
3190 South Vaughn Way Aurora Colorado 80014-3506 Aurora, Colorado U.S.A.

Dex Yellow Pages Dex Yellow Pages, Is this legal? it may happen to you. Aurora Colorado

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Insider explanation of Dex

8-10-07
This is regarding Dex Media Yellow Pages Advertizing.
Dex Media sales called, made an appointment about expanding my yellow book advertizing, I informed him that I did not want to renew the book advertizing with Dex, but that I wanted to keep the internet advertizing, he gave me a price of around $260.00 per month, Salesperson made an appointment so we could discuss my new advertizing, he missed the appointment, I did not mind since I did not know if I wanted any more Dex advertizing, I had gone for 23 years without it and I had mixed fillings about yellow pages advertizing anyway, so I thought that the one year contract had run out since the salesperson had not showed up.

On the original sales pitch, on 2/22/06 I was assured that a one page agreement for 1 year, contained all the wording of the contract, when I inquired about the rest of the contract we like to keep it simple were the sales persons words, I was given a one page contract, I signed it and was given a copy of which I kept.
Two months after the original contract expired I had thought, I received a bill for $2,700.00 of which I was informed that I was two months past due, the bill represented an increase of $928.00 on the original yellow pages advertizing, I called their Customer Service to find out why I was receiving such a large bill or any bill at all, I had thought that I had signed a one year contract, I explained that I had talked to their sales person back in Feb. or March of 07, a fellow by the name of Dave Egge, and that I had explained my plans to drop the book at the end of the contract , keep the internet advertizing and that he Mr. Egge the sales person had never showed up, so I had thought that I did not have any advertizing or at the maximum the internet only, since that was what I had talked to the sales person to begin with.

Their customer sales person listened to my complain he then made the comment that even if their sales person had not show up, that they were not responsible, that I had signed an agreement until cancelled and that such an agreement allowed them to raise my advertizing costs unless, I cancelled in writing prior to the book coming out.

Is this legal? I would appreciate your comments

Another question is: HAS ANYBODY HAS HAD SIMMILAR EXPERIENCES WITH DEX?

By the way I was treated by Dex Customer Service, Im positive that they handle lots of calls like mine and that they have done the same to a lot of people, Im sure of it.

Another very large yellow page advertiser tried to do the same to me with almost the exact words two weeks ago, except that this time I did all of my communications thru emails and I have all of them, that tells me that yellow book sales people are trained and maybe even encouraged to lie to the customer US

Please respond if you had similar experiences, maybe we can do something about it.

J.R. Martinez
Seattle, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/11/2007 12:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dex-Yellow-Pages/Aurora-Colorado-80014-3506/Dex-Yellow-Pages-Dex-Yellow-Pages-Is-this-legal-it-may-happen-to-you-Aurora-Colorado-266744. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dex Yellow Pages

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Insider explanation of Dex

AUTHOR: Christina - (U.S.A.)

I used to work for Dex Media and I actually knew your sales rep personally, he was a coworker of mine. From what you told me, it was very unprofessional of him not to show up but let me tell you how your yellow pages advertising contract works, from an insider view.

There's no such thing as a one year contract -- every contract automatically renews at the end of the year. It is the salesperson's job to contact every customer on their list, you are supposed to be given THREE attempted phone calls. If after three times, they are unable to reach you, they will close your account on a "UTC" (Unable To Contact) status, which will automatically generate next year's contract to be mailed to you. The bad part is that you don't even need to sign that contract to advertise next year -- you will automatically be renewed year after year. It was in the fine print of your advertising agreement that you first sign and for legal reasons, we were all trained to ask for your letter of cancellation in writing.

At the time, I think Mr. Egge was a premise rep, which is why he does business with you directly via personal meetings and I am not sure what the rules are with premise reps, it has been a little longer since I've worked there. What he does is definitely unprofessional and I have dealt with my share of angry customers as well -- not knowing our "written letter of cancellation" rule and this might not matter to you, but as employees, we literally had hundreds of customers to contact. I remember my list for the Seattle directory as having over 500 businesses, and sometimes things get forgotten and the employees are under severe pressure from management to meet deadlines, so they practically force their employees to treat businesses as another deadline to cross off your list before the manager comes down on you.

Dex do not have monopoly over phone advertising, you also have the option of Yellow Book (not affiliated with Dex at all) or Verizon. I would highly suggest you invest in Search Engine Marketing instead. It's a service to market your business online where you can be found on Google, Yahoo or MSN search engines. No one really uses the yellow pages anymore and it would be wise to think about moving your money to the web instead.

Take care.