Complaint Review: Diamond Van Lines, Inc.

• Submitted: Wed, February 26, 2014
  • Updated: Wed, February 26, 2014

• Reported By: ROse — Delray Beach Florida
Diamond Van Lines, Inc.
77-45 164th Street Fresh Meadows, NY 11366 Fresh Meadows, New York USA

Diamond Van Lines, Inc. Racketeers, Liars and Scam Artists Fresh Meadows New York

On January 25, 2014, I had an in house moving estimate for $2280 to include household goods from my apartment and storage unit. I was given a written binding estimate for 800 cubic feet. After the goods were loaded on the truck, at 8:30pm, the binding estimate was altered to include additional 1200 cubic feet total cost of $5,910. Nothing from the storage unit was loaded on the truck and there was not room for a complete dining set and various other pieces of furniture that had been included in the original estimate. It had to be given away in order to vacate the property the next day.
A deposit of $4,139, was required to continue the shipment, in cash. I was originally told a credit card could be used for the deposit. After many phones calls and 1 1/2 hour delay they agreed to accept the credit card for the deposit. I was informed that the balance would be due, in cash, prior to unloading the truck. [continued below]....

.....

Additionally, I was told the same truck that picked the goods up would be the one delivering them. It turns out the goods were taken to another location, loaded on another truck to be transported to Florida where it would be put on to another truck for delivery. I spoke with the dispatcher Amy Smith about the gross overcharge and she offered to pick up the goods in storage for an additional fee. After many calls and threatening to file a complaint she referred me to her supervisor, Susanna, agreed to pick up the goods in storage and deliver them for no additional fee. She requested an inventory of what was in the storage unit. I informed her the salesman had a detailed list and I emailed her the same list, twice more in fact.
For the next twenty days I tried to pin down a delivery date for the first shipment. Finally, the weather was blamed for the delay and Susanna agreed to contact me as soon as my goods were loaded on the truck heading to Florida. I heard nothing so I emailed her and the dispatcher three times with no reply of delivery date.
At the same time I was trying to pin down a date for pick up of the goods in the storage unit. No reply. I explained I had already had to pay an additional month rent for storage and had to vacant by 2/28/14 in order to avoid an additional months rent. All I received were requests for an inventory of the goods in storage, which I had provided, in detail to the original moving specialist, John Anthony and twice before to Amy. After the third time I referred her to John, who had a detailed list.
On Saturday, February 22, 2014 I booked a last minute flight to New York to deal with the left behind goods in storage. I immediately email Amy/Susanna about my travel plans and would they please provide me with the pick up date. Reiterating the fact that it had to be emptied by 2/28/14 to avoid another $470 storage fee. No response.
Two days later on Monday 2/24/14 at 7:15 am I received a call from a driver for O.D.C. Freight wanting to schedule a delivery for 12 noon the same day.

I explained I couldn't do that because I didn't have time to get security approval. So the next request was for the next day which was the time I had informed them I was flying back to New York to take care of the storage unit.
The supervisor called me to tell me it had to be delivered today Monday, 2/24/14 or Tuesday, 2/25/14 or be put into a storage unit, which I would be responsible for paying for as well as pick up and delivery to the new house. Plus I would have to pay the balance up front, in cash before they would release the goods.
After numerous calls my only recourse was to change my flight to New York to accommodate an unannounced delivery. Shortly after I called the driver to tell him he could deliver between 9am - 5pm because I changed my flights I got a call from the dispatcher giving me 24 hour notice of delivery!
Shortly thereafter I received a call wanting to schedule the pick up of the storage unit goods on the very day I was to fly to New York but had to change the flight to accommodate delivery of the first shipment in Florida. The very same dispatcher who I had been speaking to called me as if none of our conversations had even happened!

After the third request for a pick up date and I contacted the US DOT (Dept. Of Transportation) and filed a complaint. Now the company refuses to pick up the goods even though I have an email stating they would pick up and deliver free of charge.

The move originally should have cost between $2280 has turned into an $6,000 move and I have to now go back to New York, rent a truck, hire loaders, drive to Florida, hire unloaders in order to get the few possessions I didn't have to give away. This will cost an additional $2,500 making a grand total of $9,000+\- move for a two bedroom apartment with less than 1100 square feet. The truck they sent was a 22' foot truck whose capacity I have found out is 1380 cubic feet max so how did they get 2200 cubic feet into that truck.

Oh did I mention many of my tools are missing, my steel bed frame is missing parts and broken, the removed parts of an antique drafting table that I specifically asked them not to take apart. The boxes look like they've been thrown off the truck numerous times. They managed to break a jewelry armoire that was wrapped in bubble wrap with legs removed and they padded inside a box with bath towels. It is busted beyond use. My bike is missing, as are my electronic game stations, metal decorative shelving and numerous other items.boxes had the bottoms completely missing. My microwave and printer are gone.

I believe this is their racket and they have perfected the con. Had I known my rights upfront I would have exercised them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/26/2014 09:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Diamond-Van-Lines-Inc/Fresh-Meadows-New-York-11366/Diamond-Van-Lines-Inc-Racketeers-Liars-and-Scam-Artists-Fresh-Meadows-New-York-1126870. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Diamond Van Lines, Inc.