Complaint Review: Digitalmonster.com

• Submitted: Fri, August 23, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, August 28, 2013

• Reported By: 10michele62 — Sequim Washington
Saddlebrook, New Jersey USA

Digitalmonster.com Great prices blinded me to the RED FLAGS THAT WERE EVERYWHERE!!! Saddlebrook New Jersey

I purchased a Canon T5I from digitalmonster.com because they offered the absolute best price available - $543 and free shipping/no tax.  I couldn't find it for under $729 anywhere else.  I checked a couple of reviews - they had only glowing praise - so I went with it and ordered the camera yesterday.  The site said I would receive an email confirmation once the order was "reviewed" - first red flag.

Hoping to find that the camera shipped out, I looked for an email this morning and found one.  It said I needed to call to "confirm my order" so I did.  The rep answered the phone very unprofessionally - second red flag.  I only gave my name; he didn't ask for my order number or the type of camera purchased, so he apparently had my info right in front of him already.  I wasn't asked to confirm my address, phone number, last four on the debit card - nothing to identify me as the purchasing party  Third red flag.

He then asked me if I intend to export the camera I was buying and I said, "No. Why?"  He stated that the model I purchased was the international model and if I'm going to be keeping it, I needed to get the USA model which would be more money.  Apparently, the battery that came with the one I ordered "only lasted for 30 minutes as opposed to 5 hours for the USA one".  Fourth red flag.  And only the USA camera came with a warranty.  Of  course. Fifth red flag.

Anyway, he quoted me a price of $749 - $200 more than the one I ordered.  After the old "let me check with my supervisor" when I asked for a lower price (he was gone for less than 5 seconds - flag), he came back with a price of $699.  More haggling got me a $679 total so I agreed to it.  He said okay and hung up.  No "goodbye", "have a nice day", "kiss my a*s", nothing.  Flag, flag and flag.

I immediately went to their website and could not find any trace of a USA model - the only one listed was the one I initially bought.  I then transferred the money out of the account for the debit card I used so the charges wouldn't go through and called Canon USA.  What a surprise - there is no such thing as an international model and a USA model.  Classic bait and switch.

When I came her to file a report and was asked for their contact info, guess what?  Not an address to be found on their website.  Nothing but a toll-free number that no one answered (you get a machine) and a generic email address.  Absolutely nothing else.  I had to go on other sites to try and find info and all I got was a city and state, which is better than nothing.  We called the toll-free number and left a message that we want to cancel our order (because no one answered the phone, of course).  Found more reviews, this time they told the same story I am - bait and switch after being asked to call and confirm.

Bottom line - they are shady, unprofessional thugs who resort to scandalous tactics to separate you from your hard-earned money.  It's just not worth the savings if I have to spend all my time making sure this company doesn't rip me off.  Lesson learned.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/23/2013 01:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Digitalmonstercom/Saddlebrook-New-Jersey/Digitalmonstercom-Great-prices-blinded-me-to-the-RED-FLAGS-THAT-WERE-EVERYWHERE-Saddl-1078477. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Digitalmonster.com