Complaint Review: Dillard's Department Store

• Submitted: Wed, January 30, 2002
  • Updated: Thu, February 12, 2009

• Reported By:Burleso Tx
Dillard's Department Store
Town Center - Seminary South Fort Worth, Texas U.S.A.

Dillard's False Advertising

*UPDATE Employee: Most Dillard's stores honor the signs - It's to the store manager's discretion.

*UPDATE Employee: Not All Dillard's Stores Advertise Falsely

Today I went into Dillard's Department store located in the Town Center aka Seminary South Shopping Center.

I was going to purchase some items since they had many things at 75% off and then an additional 25% off. Sounds good to me. I purchased several items.

I looked over to one of the walls and noticed the "bras". Well, I went and picked out 2. The sign posted above the entire area said this particuliar brand was 20% off, and then entire stock. The sign was posted in three different areas. The sales clerks agreed with me. But when it came time to ring them up, they wouldn't honor the signs, they would only honor the tag on the bra. Well, even the manager wouldn't honor their OWN signs. I mentioned that when I worked for Dillard's we had to honor the signs, even if they were wrong. Well, not this store.

Just to let everyone know, that Dillard's is so money hungry that they will post something, and then not honor it.

Be careful. They are practicing FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/30/2002 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dillards-Department-Store/Fort-Worth-Texas/Dillards-False-Advertising-12863. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dillard's Department Store

Most Dillard's stores honor the signs - It's to the store manager's discretion.

AUTHOR: Miss Scarlet - (U.S.A.)

Not all Dillard's stores refuse to honor the advertisements. It is up to the discretion of the Store Manager. As a Dillard's employee and customer, I understand that frustration, but it isn't like that at all stores. At the same time, there are many people who will pick up an item they want and a handful of other pieces like it, move it to a sale rack, and demand a lower price because "it was on the sale rack and there were others like it." I can't tell you how many times I've had people do that to me. That, we can't honor. Or people will pull off a markdown sticker from one tag and put it on another, then try to check out, insisting that it was marked like that. No, we can't honor that, either. But in all honesty, even a sign placed accidentally over the wrong fixture isn't the same as having it advertised in the newspaper for you to go all the way to the store and realize it wasn't on sale. It happens to me all the time at other stores. I get a little disappointed when I realize that it was accidentally priced wrong, but at the same time it's not really that big of a loss. Like I said, if something is advertised in the newspaper, enticing you to drive an hour or however long to Dillard's to buy it, only to find it isn't that price, now THAT is false advertising. There's a difference between false advertising and a simple mistake, and most customers are understandable when it comes to situations like that. Then again, like I said, most Dillard's stores will honor the price, even then. I know mine will.

Not All Dillard's Stores Advertise Falsely

AUTHOR: Joseph - (U.S.A.)

Although I have my own issues with Dillard's as an employee, the general practice of honoring any signage (even if it is incorrectly placed) is still going on within the company. Not only will they honor a misplaced sign, but they will honor any price of any competitor if you present an advertisement from a newspaper/mail-out.

It sounds as if that particular manager was either having a bad day or was possibly put-off by the request for some reason.