Complaint Review: Diners's Club / Citibank

• Submitted: Thu, September 29, 2011
  • Updated: Mon, October 17, 2011

• Reported By: Walt — West Linn Oregon United States of America
Diners's Club / Citibank

Diners's Club / Citibank Citibank of Nevada Ripoff! Theft of Rewards Points! Long time customer screwed! Illegal appropriation of points. Internet

*Author of original report: Diner's Club Steals 7 year Customer's Points!

*Consumer Comment: Citi will not refund points for delinquent accounts

*Author of original report: Diners Club Points Ripoff!

*Consumer Comment: Please pay your balance due

Walt Svirsky - I am writing today to discuss outright THIEVERY by Diner's Club & Citibank.  These dirty rat b**tards have ripped me off for the last time and if I spend the rest of my days blogging about it, well that just might be therapeutic.

I was hospitalized with a life threatening infection last year.  While fighting for my life - and accumulating 100's of thou$ands of dollars in ...medical bills - there were 2 occasions where my payments were 2 DAYS LATE.  Of course, I paid the late fees and the service charges.

After 7 years with Diners Club I had accumulated 119,000 rewards points (redeemable for gifts or airline miles).  After being 2 DAYS LATE for the second time, they closed my account and forced me to pay within 60 days to avaoid collection.  OK, no problem, screw you very much.

Now, they have STOLEN my rewards points.  After telling me I had until September 30 to transfer the points (why is there a time limit at all...anyone?) I called today to transfer and they tell me my deadline was September 12th.  I'm really broiling here.  This is outright theft.  I will scream it from the hilltops of West Virginia, from the ocean beaches of Astoria, from the very swamps of Miami Vice.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/29/2011 10:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dinerss-Club-Citibank/internet/Dinerss-Club-Citibank-Citibank-of-Nevada-Ripoff-Theft-of-Rewards-Points-Long-time-c-782896. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Diners's Club / Citibank

Diner's Club Steals 7 year Customer's Points!

AUTHOR: wsvirsky - (United States of America)

Let me make this clear so even Diners/Citibank can understand it:

1. My account was not Delinquent.  It was paid off per the terms of my agreement.

2. The account is closed, balance is ZERO, all fees and service charges paid long ago.

3. I asked for assistance from a Diner's service representative to transfer my points to a new program.

4. She indicated I had until SEPTEMBER 30, 2011, to transfer my points or I would lose them.

5. I called on September 28th to transfer my points and was told it was too late - they had already been STOLEN by Diners Club / Citibank.

You say in your post to "cut my losses."  Diner's Club should cut their losses and give me back the points I earned over 7 years of good payment history.  I will continue to blog about your illegal practices on Huffington Post, where I have over 1000 followers.  I will post my story on Linked In to my entire business network, which is quite extensive.  My entire extended family is cancelling all Citibank accounts and spreading the word.

I suggest that for wont of 119,622 points, Diner's Club had done itself real damage here.  You can cut your losses by giving me back the points I earned and attempted to transfer per your representatives instructions.  Or, I will continue to tell my story to everyone I network with, FOREVER.

Citi will not refund points for delinquent accounts

AUTHOR: smartprov - (USA)

Citibank, N.A. can understand your frustration with the issue at hand. However, Citi has to follow protocol set by corporate. Unfortunately, Citi will not reinstate your points. Your account defaulted and the bank has the ultimate right to forfeit all points according to the credit contract you signed and agreed to.

Although it may not seem "fair", you will have to cut your losses. Citi did not do anything wrong. They simply followed standard protocol. Regardless of the various reasons you ascertain, Citi will not reinstate your points due to a default. Nevertheless, thank you for banking with Citibank. We appreciate your business.

Diners Club Points Ripoff!

AUTHOR: wsvirsky - (United States of America)

Thank you for your response, but you neglected to respond to the part where the Diner's representative told me I had until September 30, 2011, to transfer my points.

Those calls are recorded.  Play the tape!  You also know the name of the representative that served me.  Talk to her and confirm.

This "read the fine print, we can steal your points if you are a day late is unacceptable and misses the point:  I was following Diner's Club service rep's instructions.  "Transfer by September 30th or lose your points."

That's what I was told and that is what you should honor, if your firm is honorable.

Please pay your balance due

AUTHOR: smartprov - (USA)

Citibank, N.A. has a right to rescind and withdrawal any points accrued due to a delinquent status of the account, regardless of reason. It is in your credit contract that you had signed. Using the Diners Club card is your way of agreeing to the terms and conditions of the card contract.
Citi understands that bad things happen to good people. Please call Citicorp Credit Services toll free at 1-800-274-6660. Our account collectors are waiting for your call. And as always, thank you for banking with Citibank. We appreciate your business. Goodbye.