Complaint Review: DirecTV El Segundo, CA

• Submitted: Sat, October 17, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, January 15, 2010

• Reported By: anonymous — in the USA Nationwide Virgin Islands (US)
DirecTV El Segundo, CA

DirecTV long term Employee GETS FIRED so you dont collect your 401 share El sungudo, California Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Employee

*UPDATE Employee: Agree with Shayna

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Directv only wants tech for 2 yrs

*Consumer Comment: you are not being completely honest

yes after 2 years and 9 months I was fired,AT directv your vested at 3 years ,well they let you have YOUR share of the 401 you put in but they keep the share that they will not have to pay you ,if Fired , so the same week i was Fired the team leader announced that our site had already let go 19 tenured employees,so let me ask this,were we all bad as tenured agents, or were we the good ones,the ones that felt we were doing are jobs,all the crap i ever heard was "oh look at the new ones there so happy "oh yes they were untill 6 months down the line they start seeing the crap we go through,you have alot of team leaders that have NO manager experience and there leading you,    2)also out of a 8 hr day your on the phone 7 hrs if you need to use Bath room in the 7 hrs ,you will make up the time your off the phone "OFF the Clock" cause they say "were already paying you in the 7 hrs" SO somtimes i just waited untill break to go to bathroom and boy did it ever hurt,was it worth ruining my health i dont think it is.It was a GREAT RELIEF TO BE AWAY FROM DIRECTV,worst job i every HAD.     3) any company that goes thru about  2000 employees in 3 years must have PROBLEMS with Terrible management

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/17/2009 10:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DirecTV-El-Segundo-CA/internet/DirecTV-long-term-Employee-GETS-FIRED-so-you-dont-collect-your-401-share-El-sungudo-Cal-510799. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DirecTV El Segundo, CA

Employee

AUTHOR: Nikki25701 - (United States of America)

I am very sorry you had such an issue with your site. My experience in the past year has been wonderful. Yes they do expect people to be on the phones doing their jobs and if someone needs a special accomodation to use the facilities more then there are things you can do to get that. And Directv does give agents a certain amount of time off the phones each day and still maintain a percentage of adherance that is meeting within the compant guidlines. I myself have a problem with using the restroom frequently and have NEVER been out of adherance so badly that I could be terminated for. And Directv gives every employee ample opportunities to remedy whatever it is that needs to be fixed. I wholeheartedly disagree with you....This is one of the BEST Jobs I have ever had. And I am a college graduate working in a call center!!! Go figure!!

Agree with Shayna

AUTHOR: unchienne - (United States of America)

Things might be that way in your specific center, but it certainly isn't that way at ours. I've only worked at my center for a few months, but I've already met several "old timers" who have been here for years...one for 12 and going strong. And no, these aren't managers I'm talking about either. They're floor workers just like me.

There are definitely things I'd change about my center, but none of the things you've mentioned in your post happen. We are most definitely not allowed to work off the clock...much less encouraged to do so. I've had a few necessary times for a restroom break and was allowed to simply log off for the two minutes it took to handle business.

And while I agree with the high turnover rate, not all of that is DTV's fault. A lot of it is the employees they hire. The work ethic in our center is downright pathetic. A lot of the CSRs are very young and think that working 6 hours is absolute torture or that it's unfair that we are only allowed 4 tardies in a three month period. Being a victim of recession and finding myself at DTV working an hourly wage for the first time in years, I just have to laugh at all of their complaints and expectations and wonder how in the world some of these young souls are going to handle a 40+ work week one day.

I'm not saying you're one of these young'uns or that your situation isn't real, but I just want it known that this isn't the norm or regular procedure. If it was, I'd be experiencing it too. On a wild guess (and after working in retail for many years), I'd say your local manager was trying to make cuts for one reason or another. Either way, it's not some mandate handed down by DTV to all centers.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Directv only wants tech for 2 yrs

AUTHOR: Installer6yr - (United States of America)

The regional director for DIRECTV here in the Pacific NW cam to a weekly meeting and was talking about not organizing this and that.  He was talking about how installer life spans are on average 2 years.  Directv does not want any tech around longer that way they can get all the money back from the 401k's.  I say all Sat techs needs a Union.  All satellite companies constantly abuse employees.  This needs to stop and the only way to give employee's any power is to organize.

you are not being completely honest

AUTHOR: shayna - (U.S.A.)

working for directv is not as you have described. yes when working an 8 hour shift you are on the phone for 7 hours. you are allowed 45 minutes off the phones other than that time you are scheduled off for breaks and lunch before it hurts your phone time adherence. if you have to use the bathroom and you log off your phone to go, it's not a big deal. you can go to the bathroom and come back and work and there is nothing wrong with that. also, if your adherence is so bad that they have you make up your time, it's never off the clock. they do not allow you to work off the clock at directv. i get up and go to the bathroom as often as i need to and i never make up that time after my shift and my adherence is way above the goal. also to address your statement that the company goes through about 2000 employees in 3 years, what call center doesn't go through alot of employees. alot of young people can't handle the job. they are not mature enough to work a full time job. i have been in my position for several years and love working for the company. they treat us very good there and it is by far the best call center i have worked for.