Complaint Review: DirecTV

• Updated: Wed, May 29, 2013

• Reported By: Brock — Grand Rapids Michigan
DirecTV
2230 E Imperial Hwy El Segundo, California USA

DirecTV Locked us into a contract by offering us something for free, now they're charging us with a $400 termination fee because we want out El Segundo California

We signed up for DirecTV in August of 2011 with a 2 year contract.  In October 2012 I was strapped for money and called DirecTV's customer service line a few days before my bill was due (which came out of my checking account automatically every month) and asked for a 3 day extension when I got my next paycheck so my account wouldn’t be overdrawn. The agent in customer service assured me after I asked her repeatedly that my bill would not come out on its normal due date. My payment DID end up coming out on its normal due date and my account was overdrawn.

The same day my account was overdrawn I called DirecTV asking why my bill was charged when I was assured it wouldn't be. After a conversation that got me nowhere, I asked for a refund of my money including the overdraft fee I was charged. The agent insisted it would take about a month to receive my refund after sending various documents to them. That wasn’t going to work for me so I asked her to transfer me to the cancellation department so I could be done with it. The agent in cancellation told me she could give me the refund back immediately and offered me 2 months free service and a free upgrade with an HD DVR.

I was in no position to turn the offer down because I needed the money back in my account. What I was not totally clear on was that this upgrade included a 2 year extension to my already existing contract; so now I have a 4 year contract. Then we moved from Florida to Michigan. When trying to transfer my service it was far too expensive and we needed the extra money for moving expenses. We were presented with the option to place our services on hold for 6 months.  Three months later my fiancée lost her job and 2 weeks later we found out she was pregnant.  We cannot afford to keep our service and wanted to cancel. We were informed that the cancellation fee would be $400. I couldn’t believe this and when I asked why I was told because I have 4 years remaining on my contract.

We are struggling to make ends meet and cannot afford this fee or even DirecTV’s services. The company is not willing to work with us at all, stating we’re locked into a 4 year contract and must pay the full termination fee all at once if we want to cancel. When I called DirecTV to explain our issues, the agent was incredibly rude and insisted that we were locked into a contract and there was nothing they could do and that we had no options.  I couldn’t believe that a company that makes billions of dollars a year has to lock customers into contracts and holds outrageous termination fees over their heads in order to keep them.

I want the 2 year contract extension removed for the "free" HD DVR upgrade. Our contract was initially set to expire in September 2013. I have no problem with paying the termination fee through my original contract expiration date.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/29/2013 12:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DirecTV/El-Segundo-California-90245/DirecTV-Locked-us-into-a-contract-by-offering-us-something-for-free-now-theyre-chargin-1054715. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DirecTV