Complaint Review: DirecTV

• Reported By: George S. in Allen, Texas — Allen Texas United States of America
DirecTV

DirecTV DirecTV Business Actions - HR34 Internet

*Consumer Comment: Directv

I signed up for DirecTV on February 11th and had it installed last Saturday February 25th. I am reading in the forums there are alot of unhappy people right now with the HR34 receiver system and I understand and found out first hand. With the HR34 in my family room I also got two other receivers that I had put in two different bedrooms.

The system has not worked correctly from the day it was installed.

Today is Friday March 2nd & I just called and cancelled my DirecTV service. The HR34 is loaded with issues. Here's a few I found in my five days of use:

1) The HR34 would not turn on unless you push the red reset button.

2) When programmed to record new current shows it records shows from   the previous week or two weeks before.

3) The 30 second commerical skip & fast forward functions are very slow.

4) When programmed to record a 30 minute or one hour show it only records 7 or 8 minutes of the show and stops.

5) The recordings on the HR34 do not show up on the other HD boxes at times.

And I can go on with a number of other issues that are very small.

But I paid $120 up front when I purchased the system and in the five days I had it and I called DirecTV no less than four times trying to get help and get the system working correctly. All I was told is that these are all issues that are being addressed and should be corrected with upgrades soon. One phone service rep tried to tell me I wasn't working the system correctly. I can assure you I am smart enough to operate it.

So tonight I came home and climbed in bed to watch my recorded shows I enjoy and the entire list of recordings was gone. So I went down to the HR34 and as usual it would not turn on. So I pushed the red button and called DirecTV and asked them to cancel the service. The retention rep say I would have to pay a cancellation fee of $20 a month for 24 months which
equals $480. After I protested with the rep and he spoke to his manager they decided to forgo the $480 fee. When I asked for a refund of the $120 the rep said that all the issues of the HR34 are known at DirecTV and there would be no
refund. When I said DirectTV may know all the issues but how am I supposed to know them? The rep said it was my responsibilly as a consumer to do research before purchasing and not to purchase if there are such issues. He also went on
to say that I purchased thru an independent DirecTV Dealer and that I should not do that, I should only go thru DirecTV itself and they would tell me before purchasing that the HR34 has issues. RIGHT!!

I have been with DishNetworks for years and I never ever called them with a service issue.

Now I am out $120 and a weeks worth of missed shows I enjoy watching and I have to call DishNetworks and get it reinstalled in my home. I feel that it was a large waste of my time and a mistake to go to DirecTV. I will never use DirecTV again and I encourge anyone that is considering DirecTV to do your research first before selecting them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/02/2012 10:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DirecTV/internet/DirecTV-DirecTV-Business-Actions-HR34-Internet-847977. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DirecTV

Directv

AUTHOR: Lorenzen - (U.S.A.)

Doing proper research before investing in any product is always a good thing to do.  The HR34 is a brand new receiver that Directv has just released, and from what I have read on the internet, it is frought with problems. And you have experienced first hand the incompetence of Directv's CSRs. Like you, I had DISH Network and switched to Directv.  I wanted the 3D channels that were available on Directv and were not available on DISH.  Unfortunately I gave up MANY HD channels ( NO, Directv DOES NOT have more national HD channels than DISH ) as well as DISH's superior DVR receivers and better customer service.  As soon as DISH adds some 3D channels, particularly ESPN 3D ( sports in 3D is absolutely AWESOME ), I'm switching back, too.  In my opinion, Directv bites the big one.