alliance

• Submitted: Sun, December 05, 2010
  • Updated: Sat, February 05, 2011

• Reported By: Shawn — NEWARK New Jersey United States of America
DirecTv

DirecTv My Tv has no signal and they wont help unless i pay them to do there job Internet

*Consumer Comment: ha

*General Comment: directv

*General Comment: In the interest of accuracy

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: In the interest of accuracy

*General Comment: warranty

*Consumer Suggestion: I suggest you learn the difference between satellite and cable

*Consumer Comment: YOU own the dish, not DirectTV

I am pay services every month for cable that does not have any signal no matter what the weather is and they wont do nothing about it unless i spend more money. They have poor customer service and the call center is no help whatsoever. When I do call them they tell me to do the same thing everytime and end up with the same result no signal. Also when customer service tries to help you the end it with sign up for this service or sorry I cant help you. Now I am stuck in a contract for 2yrs with cable and no service unless I give them $500 cancellation fee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/05/2010 01:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DirecTv/internet/DirecTv-My-Tv-has-no-signal-and-they-wont-help-unless-i-pay-them-to-do-there-job-Internet-668343. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DirecTv

ha

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

I have Directv going on 7 years - Texas had almost 8 inches of snow today and have had ice storms since Monday Nite. Not ONCE did my TV go out. Directv is not Cable - they are Satellite providers.

I suggest you figure out what type of service you have before you spew your garbage.

#2 General Comment

directv

AUTHOR: thumbsup - (United States of America)

diectv are not responsible for any damages that occur due to acts of God, power failure or any other cause beyond our reasonable control. service call is free if that damages caused by directv tech or whatsoever but if the damages caused by customer and beyond directv reasonable control then be fair! and reasonable, you need to pay that caused because directv is paying the technician who comes up to your house and you also hab\ve to pay the directv becaus eof this

#3 General Comment

In the interest of accuracy

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

All i got to go by. Is the customer that I go out on for service calls and these reports. I'm not one that believe the customer is always right. That their have been timesI bent over backwards to try to make them happy. But in the end you cant make everyone happy.

About 95 percent of the customers don't even bother reading the contract they sign.

I remember the second Directv meeting on training I went to. Just before they started offering their satllite system. Many Many moons ago. It was raining that day and one of the tech's asked if rain would interfer with the signal . We were told that it wouldn't be a problem. Six months after they started their operation the started printing a piece of paper . This was put inside the receiver box with the owners manual.What is rainfade.

If Directv is so perfect . Then why did they get their butt handed to them back in December 2010. Whereby 50 State Attorney Generals Offices sued them. Then they didn't even fight the over 13 million dollars judgement against them.

Lets be fair about this in September 2009 Dish network also got sued.By 46 State Attorney Generals Offices.

So whenI go out to customers house and ask them what they were quoted by Directv or Dish. It's amazing how the price differs. Their are timesI can tell the CSR is reading a script off the computer and sometimes they make it up as they go.

I recently went out on a Directv systemI originally installed many years ago. I couldn't sell the customers a receiver sinceI was no longer a dealer for Directv. I called in to get it turned on . I had no problems in doing do. The CSR was very polite and did his job. Then he informed me to tell the customer that they were leasing the reciever and to make sure they under stood this.

So after I got the phone . I turned and asked the customer if he had purchased the receiver. Then he told me he paid 99.00 for the receiver plus the shipping. I told him they are going to charge you 5 dollars a month for leasing the receiver.

A week later I had a lady call about some help for her Directv equipment. I also told her this story. She replied yeahI also bought my receiver recently. She told me that she figured that Directv was charging her 5.00 dollars a month for air time.

I guess it all depend on if your the Dealer, the Customer or Directv about the truth. For somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

The truth of the matter is that it all looks good on paper. Until you put it into action.

Directv gives a 90 day warranty, Dish gives a 60 day warranty and I personally give a one year warranty. This doenst make me perfect and I have made my share of mistakes.

But if you do the install right to begin with and not lie to the customer . You will end up with ahappy and satisfied customer in the end.

After 27 years of being in the satelltie business . I've never seen it or the cable industry as a whole. In such a mess.........everyone fighting over money

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

In the interest of accuracy

AUTHOR: Carie - (U.S.A.)

Directv charges $5.99/month for the protection plan, so it works out to about $72/year. If you have the protection plan the cost to you is $0 for a service call. Without the protection plan the cost of a service call is about $49.

Dish Network charges $6/month for their coverage, again about the same yearly cost. If you have coverage with Dish a service call still costs $15, without the coverage you are looking at about $99.

#5 General Comment

warranty

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

Directv gives a 90 day warranty. The last customer i went out on told me.  That  Directv charged him 5.00 a month for the servcie plan and was going to charge him 54.00 to come out .

Dish Network gives a 60 day warranty. They also charge 6.00 a month for the service plan. They charge 15.00 for a servcie call to come out.

As an independent  dealer I'm required to give a 90 day warranty on Directv installs  and Dish requires me to give a 6 month waranty.  I give my customers a 1 year warranty for my service calls and installs.  I charge my customers 60.00 for a service call .

Directv 90 day warranty, 60.00 a year for service plan and 54.00 service calls.    Directv also requires their techs to take and paid for and idiot test.

Dish Net 60 day warranty, 72.00 a year for a service plan and 15.00 service calls

If I can warranty my work for a year why cant they. Ive been doing this now for almost 27 years. I was also an ATC Radar repair for 4 years and worked for PTS Electronics repairing tv's

You really do get what you pay for.................I.m not perect and also make mistakes. That is why i give a 1 year warranty.

My standard install is where I install 2 Dish  Net dual tuners in one location. So when I'm done the customer can watch all 4 tuners, the DVD player and their local tv antenna on every tv in the house.

All I can say is people need to learn to read what they are signing and call around . Just don't take the first person you call their word for anything.  Call around to several dealers.

As a dealer I can't control what Dish and Directv do. But i can give my all to my customers.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

I suggest you learn the difference between satellite and cable

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

You keep saying that you have cable, and even posted under the cable companies category.

DirecTV is SATELLITE service, NOT cable.

FYI.. a "service call" is like 40 bucks. Bite the bullet.

If you want free unlimited service, GET CABLE!

You get what you pay for. You wanted "cheap", and that's what you got.

Common sense here.

YOU own the dish, not DirectTV

AUTHOR: William - (U.S.A.)

DirectTV is different from other companies such as Comcast, Infinity, or AT&T in that YOU own the equipment.  You paid for your dish when you ordered the DirectTV service.  True - your monthly bill is lower then others who have other carriers, but since YOU own the Satellite Dish and the problem is with YOUR equipment, you have to pay for someone to come out and fix it.

Unless you are in some extremely rural area with no other service provider, I would recommend switching to a different service provider.  They are offering free switching and installation right now.

Or, just bite the bullet and pay to have your equipment fixed, OR you can possibly go onto Craigslist and find yourself someone selling equipment they are no longer using but in good working condition for a discount and just put it up yourself.

Either way - if you want someone to fix something you own, you have to pay.