Complaint Review: Direct Buy

• Updated: Thu, May 01, 2008

• Reported By:Dallas Texas
Direct Buy
Hwy 121 Coppell, Texas United States of America

DirectBuy, Direct Buy, Directbuy.com Direct Buy prices are no better if you shop in a competitive area Ripoff Coppell Texas

*Consumer Comment: my membership has been worth it

*Consumer Comment: DirectBuy.com potential victim

We spoke to some folks and have redone 6 houses over the past few years, so we should have known better, but we live close so we were curious. Here is how direct buy works.

The sales people make their commission from selling memberships, not much if anything, from selling the merchandise. To join: 1) You must sit in a small room with high pressure sales people for about 90 minutes watching videos. 2) They do not allow any questions before, or during the time you sit in the room watching the "presentation" 3) They will not quote any prices or allow you to "look around" before sitting thru the 90 minutes of videos. 4) They won't tell you any of this ahead of time.

It was a huge waste of time. We went to "the Dump" outlet just down I35E and found better products for less money, available immediately. We asked for and received discounts at Lowe's that gave us better prices than Direct Buy had on cabinets. Plus we could take back the pieces at Lowe's that we didn't need and got our money back immediately. Direct Buy doesn't actually carry many brands, but can "get anything" from various distributors. Gee, so can I if I have a tax ID. Much of what they do actually carry is previous year models that the vendors don't want back if they can help it. Outlets have this stuff cheaper, with no membership required. Returns are drug out for long periods of time, because Direct Buy gets to use your money for capital. An interesting observation: They made a big deal about us coming on time to beat "the crowd", well the other, very few, couples that were there with us were all from a long drive away. Dallas is a very competitive market so the only "fish" were from outside the metroplex where they don't have access to much. If you can comparison shop easily, you won't find the deals at Direct Buy to be worth the time or membership.

Joe Dallas, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/16/2007 12:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-Buy/Coppell-Texas/DirectBuy-Direct-Buy-Directbuycom-Direct-Buy-prices-are-no-better-if-you-shop-in-a-comp-254923. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct Buy

my membership has been worth it

AUTHOR: Jon - (U.S.A.)

Ive saved a good deal and the selection has been awesome so far

DirectBuy.com potential victim

AUTHOR: Threejs - (U.S.A.)

Thank you for all of your comments about DirectBuy.com. As a potential customer I am relieved that I am not going to their "presentation" tomorrow. I heard an advertisement on the radio for DirectBuy.com. I went to their website, looked around and printed out a visitors pass so I could go to their showroom which was 2 hours away. I debated whether or not I wanted to make the trip. After doing some research on the internet I realized that their membership fee is $4,000 in the form of a contract they make you sign. Annual fees are tacked onto that. Are you kidding me? I read about a woman who signed a contract and could not get out of it. It would not surprise me if they ruined your credit rating too just to get their money. Think of all the things you could buy outright with $4,000. Thats how cults start out. They get you to do small favors, gradually increasing the favor size until you are totally immersed. DirectBuy.com gets you to spend $4,000. Then to justify that expense you buy 10's of thousands of other worthless crap you do not need. And around and around we go all the while Directbuy.com milks you for everything you have. It's a total psychology play. It literally makes me sick.