Complaint Review: Direct Buy

*Consumer Comment: The savings have been obvious

*Consumer Comment: With over 153 negative reports I'm glad I didn't go

*Consumer Comment: Bad Customer Service

*Consumer Comment: Ratana, Ratana, Ratana.....

*UPDATE Employee: was the salesman really pushy or were u just plan rude don?

*Consumer Comment: He did you a huge favor

We recently decided to attend an open house for Direct Buy after seeing the commericals on TV. We are planning to do some renovations to our home in the next 6 months or so. We were told that the membership information would be disclosed to us at the open house. We were a bit skeptical but decided to check things out anyway. As soon as we entered the building, we were greeted, asked to sign in, given name tags and ushered to a desk. The salesman who greeted us seemed rather curt and rude right from the word go. He then told us that we would have to sit through a 90 minute informational session. We really weren't sure if we wanted to spend 90 minutes there and he immediately told us that he would reschedule us for another time. We hadn't even made a decision one way or the other at that point and we barely had time to answer when he said again that he would reschedule us and started writing up another time for us to come in. Needless to say, the guy was pushy. Since I am a bottom line kind of person, I told him directly that if the membership was more than 1000 dollars, we weren't really interested. He immediately stood up and showed us the door. At that point, we were happy to be out of there. Basically we drove over an hour to have some pushy salesman treat us rudely and push us out the door the second we mentioned money. My advice is to stay away from Direct Buy and stick with Lowe's; at least there they don't push you out the door if you decide not to buy that gas grill you were looking at.

Don Hanover, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/30/2006 02:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-Buy/Lancaster-Pennsylvania-17601-6766/Direct-Buy-A-rude-ripoff-Lancaster-Pennsylvania-213567. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct Buy

The savings have been obvious

AUTHOR: Delilah - (U.S.A.)

I do see how a DirectBuy membership may not benefit some, however our membership gave us immense savings on our home renovation project.

With over 153 negative reports I'm glad I didn't go

AUTHOR: Janet - (U.S.A.)

I was heading to see the place today and when I looked on the internet I found this. 153 reports can't be all wrong. Then I realized it was a buying club which I used to work for. The got the people to come in by offering a car give away. No one was ever able to buy anything. It was all a scam. They sized the people up when they came in to see if they had money or not. If not they just let them try the key and didn't waste time.

I'm so glad I found this site. The other buying clubs were shut down by the attorney general in Florida.

Bad Customer Service

AUTHOR: Regina - (U.S.A.)

I am a member of Direct Buy as of this year.
I ordered a car seat. Direct Buy called me a week later to tell me the part number had been discontinued.

I have worked in purchasing for over 15 years and the answer I got from Direct Buy was awefull.

I asked what a replacement was they told me there was none. I then asked if the Manufacturer had a suggestion. I was told no. I then gave them part numbers I found off the manufacturer's web site. Direct Buy told me those were obsolete part numbers as well!!! What kind of answere is that? It is a very incorrect answer. Direct Buy's catalog was from 2006. We are currently almost half way through 2007.

I want my money back from this purchase and I won't be getting it back for at least 2-3 weeks.

I guess this is the kind of customer service I get when I interupt a personal conversation between two Direct Buy's employees.

AUTHOR: Jill - (U.S.A.)

And, Ratana, I want to add that your repeated use of Don's name, Ratana, is an annoying tactic employed by pushy salesmen everywhere.

I am sure that you are aware, Ratana, that you don't HAVE to sit through 90 minutes of dreck to recognize a scam. Especially, Ratana, if the salesperson in question seems more interested in getting your money than in you, the customer.

But, Ratana, you are a Direct Buy employee and, as such, Ratana, you've probably drunk your fill of the company Kool-aid and are happy to post contentious messages on this board in defense of your precious employer.

However, Ratana, I find it telling that, while you questioned Don's experience, you really haven't said anyting, anything Ratana, of substance.

Defensive much, Ratana?

was the salesman really pushy or were u just plan rude don?

AUTHOR: Ratana - (U.S.A.)

i've got a few questions for you don... when you initially set up the appt. for the open house, did we not inform you that the entire process would take about 90 minutes? we clearly tell ever guest that before confirming the appt., if that wasn't the case, i sincerely apologize, but even if you weren't told that, well don, isn't it printed very clearly on your visitors pass... and the other thing is... well, how do you know that this is a rip-off if you really didn't sit through the presentation itself? you really don't know what it is that we do for our members do you don?

He did you a huge favor

AUTHOR: Alan - (U.S.A.)

The guy that pushed you out the door did you the biggest favor that direct buy can do for a person. that is keep you away from spending 4800.00 for nothing. It is much more cost effective to shop other stores, or keep a sharp eye out for sales. As soon as those stupid ads run for direct buy, change the channel.