Complaint Review: Direct Energy

• Updated: Thu, September 17, 2009

• Reported By: kmiller — CAlgary Alberta Canada
Direct Energy
PO Box 2425 Edmonton, Alberta United States of America

Direct Energy Regulated Services Paying off statement via Bank; returned my payment and claiming I didn't pay the right company (I used the accound # on the statement) charged me a late fee. Edmonton, Alberta

I made the horrible mistake of signing up for their fixed rate service back in October '08. They gave me 10 days to think about it. I got my bill in January and it was triple what my previous bill was. We decided after 2 months of horrifying bills to cancel this service, and decided to just eat the $400 cancellation fee. The first time we tried to set up a payment plan (since we couldn't afford to pay them $400 in one shot) they hung up on us. Finally they let us pay $100 until it was paid off. On Saturday I didn't think I could mail in a check on time so I went to TD to pay it, using the blue statement with accound number printed on that statement. TOday I get a refunded cheque say I'd overpaid one account. I call DE and they said I'd paid the wrong company. I asked If I was getting a late charge for this and they said yes. To be clear I USED THE SAME ACCOUNT ON THE BLUE STATEMENT THEY SENT TO US!!!!! But they are claiming I didn't pay the right company. Is this legal?  This just seems so fishy!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/17/2009 12:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-Energy/Edmonton-Alberta-T5J2R4/Direct-Energy-Regulated-Services-Paying-off-statement-via-Bank-returned-my-payment-and-cl-496435. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct Energy