Complaint Review: Direct Energy

• Updated: Tue, April 24, 2012

• Reported By: Jon — Marlboro Massachusetts USA
Direct Energy
788 Main St #3 Holden, Massachusetts United States of America

Direct Energy Beware: Direct Energy going door to door asking for your current electric bills! Holden, Massachusetts

Look out! Direct Energy has sales-people knocking on your door after after 5pm asking to see your current electric bill in order to convert you over to their services unknowingly.

At 7:30pm I heard a knock on my door. I thought it was my neighbor because we both rent either side of an old house here in Marlboro MA. I opened it and was greeted by a tall young black man carrying a binder, who didn't identify himself, but wanted to let me know that he was from Direct Energy and that "notices" were recently mailed letting me know about the changes in electric rates that were to come. He let me know the rates I'd be paying would be alot more now that winter was over and summer was about to begin. He opened his binder and pulled out what looked like a National Grid form but really wasn't - It was a transfer form for Direct Energy. He said he didn't want my personal information, just my National Grid bill. He asked me to go and get it so he could fill out his little form and give me new service even if he never explained to me what the heck was going on. I already knew. I told him that wasn't going to happen since I was not going to give my personal information out to a stranger and I'm fine with my current service. I made it clear I wasn't going to transfer to an unknown provider. The kid wanted to know if he should bother my neighbors and I told him don't bother. He left and went on down the street to harass more unsuspecting residents. Nice.

This is why I putting up this report. When I got my "notice" aka JUNK MAIL back in February, I went to Ripoff Report and did some research on Direct Energy and found that it was not favorable.
So, I tossed my "notice" aka JUNK MAIL right into the trash.

This kid didn't ID himself, didn't explain why he was at my door so late, didn't explain the form he pulled out, didn't have a business card, didn't have brochures explaining what Direct Energy did, nor did he have info on the transfer of service part. He used the word "notice" to mask the fact that Direct Energy had actually sent out a marketing letter (aka JUNK MAIL) 2 months ago letting consumers know they were now offering electric service in Mass and would you please use us instead of NGrid or some other provider. By using the word "notice" the kid was trying to trick me into thinking that my electric service was going to be shut off since April is when shut off notices go out, or my rates would sky-rocket. So, if I go to Direct Energy, I wouldn't have these problems. Don't let words fool you. Notice = Junk Mail.

Don't give out your personal info via a bill to a stranger, especially one who doesn't ID themselves or why they are at your door at 7:30pm.

Don't sign any forms no matter how "official" they look. You just may regret it.

Don't give in to what the sales person is trying to accomplish and just say NO!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/24/2012 05:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-Energy/Holden-Massachusetts-01520/Direct-Energy-Beware-Direct-Energy-going-door-to-door-asking-for-your-current-electric-b-873272. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct Energy