• Report: #1172013

• Updated: Sun, August 24, 2014

• Reported By: Troubled Consumer — Toronto Ontario
Direct Energy
Nationwide USA

Direct Energy Forced us into protection plan, refusal to remove charges Toronto Ontario

Direct Energy, without question, is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. I have had several issues with the company in the past but my current issue has me furious.

My Air Conditioner was in working order this spring, fan was running, air was blowing, but the air was not very cold, I checked the guage on the unit and it was almost out of coolant. I called Direct Energy, explained the situation, and told them that my unit was quite old (from 1985). They told me I needed to go on their cooling protection plan but the service call would be covered and they would charge my unit with coolant.

A few days later a technician comes out, takes one look at my unit and tells me that it's out of coolant (which I already knew) and he cannot charge it with more becuase it is against the law, I need to buy a new unit. He was correct (I looked it up), he could not have charged my unit with freon. So I replaced my unit after some debate.

I called Direct Energy back, asking them to remove the cooling plan since I gave them the info on the unit on the phone and specifically said it needed a freon charge and the agent should have known that wasn't possible. They have since told me they will not remove the plan so I must keep it for a full year ($120 for the year) or they can remove it and I pay for the service call ($100).

Escilation to supervisors has done nothing. The company simply does not care.

I am removing all services with Direct Energy and will never give them my business ever again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/24/2014 04:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-Energy/nationwide/Direct-Energy-Forced-us-into-protection-plan-refusal-to-remove-charges-Toronto-Ontario-1172013. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct Energy