Complaint Review: Direct General Insurance Co

15151 florida blvd baton rouge, Louisiana United States of America
  • Phone: 800-444-4211
  • Web:
  • Category: Customer

Direct General Insurance Co refuse to cancel my auto policy with the correct date, even with all replacement insurance documentation in their possession baton rouge, Louisiana

*Consumer Comment: If it's not resolved soon, call the department of insurance

Today is 9/22/11 and since 7/16/11 I have been attempting to cancel my son's insurance policy with Direct General since I have taken over the vehicle and placed it under my insurance, Nationwide.  I have over the past 2 months, spoken with 6 different people (each time you call you can never get the same person twice) and each one has requested more information that the other forgot.  First, was a letter signed by my son that he wanted his insurance cancelled.  DONE!  Called 2 weeks later to get status of refund, they stated they needed declaration page of my insurance to prove it was replaced, with the date it was replaced. DONE!  Called again to find that the paperwork was received, but not sent to the correct department, therefore the policy was still in full force and effect.  Called back today to find out that it is still in effect and that their computer states that they have a cancellation date of 8/26.  I have that date as sending them more proof that they required.  So they are trying to rip me off of 6 weeks of a return premium because their illiterate employees can't read a declaration page.  Once again, I've been given the first name of a supervisor and told I will receive a call back after she reviews the existing paperwork.  I'll hold my breath, someone please call an ambulance.  (Kind of reminds you of the TV commercial of the bank card rewards, " Hi, my name is Peggy").

So I called my agent at Nationwide, whom again today, is faxing them the paperwork and writing a letter stating that they now have the truck insured and to please cancel the DG policy.  I will call again tomorrow to see if someone there has at least a high school diploma that can rectify this ridiculous situation.  A word to the wise, never pay your full premium up front, because if you have to cancel, they pro-rate the annual premium, so you already lose, and trying to get your money back in a timely fashion...well that's just a JOKE!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/22/2011 11:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-General-Insurance-Co/baton-rouge-Louisiana-/Direct-General-Insurance-Co-refuse-to-cancel-my-auto-policy-with-the-correct-date-even-w-779988. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct General Insurance Co

If it's not resolved soon, call the department of insurance

AUTHOR: Insurance Agent - (United States of America)

It is illegal to have two insurance policies on the same vehicle, and it is therefore illegal for the company to refuse to cancel if you have provided them with proof. If that supervisor doesn't call you back and resolve it, advise them that you will be reporting them to the department of insurance for your state. (And then do it.)

DOIs will follow up on EVERY consumer complaint they recieve. I used to respond to them for an insurance company, and even the absurd ones are passed on to the company for response and then replied back to the consumer by the DOI.