Complaint Review: Direct TV

• Submitted: Thu, July 07, 2011
  • Updated: Thu, January 31, 2013

• Reported By: JK — Durham North Carolina USA
Direct TV

Direct TV DirectTV Installer Disconnected My Home Alarm, but Direct TV Assumes No Accountabilty for 15 months Durham, Internet

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: directv

*Consumer Comment: Joe is correct.

*Consumer Suggestion: Wow, 15 months without testing your alarm system?

In April of 2010, I had Direct TV installed in my house. The installer was a contractor, but an agent authorized to install DirectTV, Internet, and phone service. We purchased the bundle. The installer made sure the phone, internet, and TV were working prior to his leaving.

In July 2011, I accidentally tripped my alarm (ADT). They never called. I called them to run a test on my alarm system and was notified that there was no signal being sent from my house to the company. In fact, they show no activity on my alarm since April 2010. I called DirectTV to cancel my account immediately. I was upset that their install technician had committed such a gross error as to disconnect my alarm from the phone line. I informed the Customer Service Rep, Joe, Badge # 1000097626, that I had been paying ADT $40.00 a month for 15 months only to find out that a DirectTV installer had disconnected my alarm from my telephone. My home was unmonitored for 15 months, but I paid DirectTV AND ADT for those 15 months. I wanted to know if Direct TV would allow me to cancel my account without paying an early disconnect fee since they had already caused me to wasted money paying ADT and caused my home to be unmonitored. Joe offered me a $20.00 discount on an upgraded package. He said the installer was a contractor and not an employee of DirectTV and that DirectTV was not directly responsible for the work of the contractors.

I am livid. DirectTv refuses to assume any accountability for their install error. In fact, they state "it was highly unlikely they did that". My phone line is in the attic. It is "highly unlikely" that I disconnected it. In the end, Direct TV offered to send me prepaid boxes in which to return their equipment to them. Joe stated, "You won't have to pay shipping and handling, but you have 21 days to return our equipment".

That's really funny considering I paid ADT for 15 months of service I did not have due to a Direct TV install error.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/07/2011 08:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-TV/internet/Direct-TV-DirectTV-Installer-Disconnected-My-Home-Alarm-but-Direct-TV-Assumes-No-Account-750366. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct TV

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

directv

AUTHOR: 15345 - (United States of America)

i worked for a directv reseller, which in itself is a scam if you want directv call them directly stay away from any seller at sams club, bestbuy costco etc....if they have a blue table and fake cardboard recievers walk way, but i need to get back on topic....from that job directv doesnt offer phone

Joe is correct.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

Direct TV installers are private contractors which Direct TV has no responsibility or control over.  I worked as an installer many years ago.  Be careful about letting these people into your home since anyone can be an installer.
ADT alarms are what is known to the alarm industry as "lick and stick" alarm systems.  All alarm systems have telephone line monitoring which sends a signal to the central in the event of a cut or broken telephone line.  This feature is either turned off in programming or ADT is not monitoring.  You can assume they are monitoring until a breakin occurs and no one responds.  The monitors may be outsourced to another country.
Alarms should be monitored locally.  Steer clear of the big companies.  I would advise cancelling your alarm service and looking into a local service.  You may pay a slightly higher monitoring fee but, in the end your security is important especially if your fire alarm is connected to the system.  Weekly/Monthly testing is advised and recommended but, it may be the only time someone at the central is paying attention.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Wow, 15 months without testing your alarm system?

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

You also were without alarm service for 15 months due to your own negligence.

ADT recommends regular testing with their alarm center...how many times did you do that in the 15 months?....oh yeah, NONE!

You share responsibility with DirecTV