Complaint Review: Direct TV

• Reported By: Mel Magner — Chicago Illinois United States of America
Direct TV

Direct TV Early termination fee Internet

*Consumer Comment: Directv

Direct TV is ripping me off, saying that I owe them a $360.00 early termination charge, stating that I agreed to a 2-yr service agreement, which I did not...My A/C# was 56811000 Melvin Magner...Service address was:1435 Willow Ave, Des Plaines, IL 60016...I knew when I moved into this address that it was to be short term & no where near 2 years, one of many reasons that I never would have agreed to this deal...I ordered service thru AT&T, who partnered with Direct TV for this service.....I never was verbally told about a 2-year agreement, I never received an e-mail about it & I most definitely never signed such an agreement....Direct TV is taking a position as though an alleged e-mail that was sent to me is a binding contract, which it is not, because I never received it, never agreed to such a thing (nor would I have) & they have NOTHING to establish proof that I agreed to it....e-mail's are consistently lost in the shuffle of spam & junk folders, etc....and certainly cannot constitute a binding agreement.....They actually should be sending me a refund of $30, once this ridiculous $360 charge is removed...I can be contacted at: (((ROR redacted)))

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/27/2011 06:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-TV/internet/Direct-TV-Early-termination-fee-Internet-792877. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct TV

Directv

AUTHOR: Diogenes - (USA)

Both Directv and DISH network have a standard 2 year service agreement as part of their contracts.  I'm really surprised that you didn't know this.  It's on all of their advertising in the newspapers and on TV.  It's not hidden nor written in small lettering.  Personally, I feel that it should have been mentioned to you, anyway, though.  But, unfortunately, you're stuck.  You signed the contract and you have to pay.  If you don't, it will most definitely show up on your credit report.  And that will hurt you much more than paying the early termination fee.