Complaint Review: Direct TV

• Submitted: Fri, March 22, 2013
  • Updated: Fri, March 22, 2013

• Reported By: Lu Brown — Tampa Florida
Direct TV

Direct TV Extended Contract Without my Approval and Wanted To Charge me over $300 for a Box and Pay Monthly Service Fees. Internet, Internet

I got Direct TV because I had no other choice where I moved in NC.  I was supposed to get HD boxes and HD DVR, but could not because of the trees blocking the signal.  Well, my bill ended up being the same as it would have been if I had HD boxes.  Ok, now I am in a contract and there is no other service provider that I could get.

When I got ready to move back to FL, they said if I canceled my service I would be liable for the remaining year because I was breaking a contract.  I said okay, I will transfer your service to FL.  They then proceeded to say that my cost for trnasferring to FL was going to be $99, and I quickly said no I would not pay that when I had ample services available to me when I got there and that I was not paying $99 for transferring and keeping them for a year when I could cancel and go with another company and pay less than what they were charging me.  So the lady said, okay we can do it for $19.95.  I said okay.

She then proceeded to offer me a FREE UPGRADE to a HDDVR.  Hint, the word was FREE and nothing attached to that.  I said okay to that because I was originally suppose to have it but couldn't do to the trees blocking the signal.  After moving down to FL, and got everythig hooked up, I was still never notified of an extention of a contract.  I purchased a new TV for my bedroom that only used HDMI or Component Cables, ad wouldn't you know it, the box in my room was not HD, which I knew it wasn't, but I thought it might use one or the other for cables, but no it didn't.  I call Direct TV and tell them I need to swap out the box in my bedroom for a HD box and they said sure, but it will cost you $289 plus a service call of $45.  I said what?  And yet I will still have to pay you for using this box and when I cancel, I need to send you the box back, and she said yes.

I then told her to cancel my service, and that I would go with another company, and she said that I was in a contract until Oct. of 2014.  I said no, my contract ends Aug. 2013.  She then preceeded to tell me that I extended my contract back in Oct. when I got an Upgrade.  Oh, now I am fuming.  I said no I didn't, the lady offered me a free upgrade and said nothing to me about extending my contract.  The lady then preceeded to tell me that they sent me an email explaining this to me, in which I did not receive.  I told her that I do not mind paying for my last months bill and for the contract time from Feb.-Aug., but I would not pay anything beyond that, and that this is why Direct TV doesn't have as many customers as it should have because of the competition beating their prices and because of how they treat people after they sign up with them.  I told her to just cancel my service and that I was going to contact the Utilities Commission about the way they treat their customers, and she didn't even care.

Very upset about this.  They constantly call me about the boxes, and I have sent them back to them.  They tell me my bill is over $1,000, but that included the boxes, but my balance was around $600.  I told them that I would only pay my final balance of my service and the months I had left on my original contract, and no more.  She gave me an address to write Direct TV and complain, which was nice of her, but the other lady did not care at all and never offered me that.  Just goes to show you how some care and some don't.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/22/2013 12:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-TV/internet/Direct-TV-Extended-Contract-Without-my-Approval-and-Wanted-To-Charge-me-over-300-for-a-B-1037077. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct TV