Complaint Review: Direct TV

• Reported By: Danielle — Haddon Twp New Jersey United States of America
Direct TV
Nationwide United States of America

Direct TV DirectTV cancellation fees service Internet, Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: "Directv?" NO TV!

*Consumer Comment: law suit

In 2008, I signed up for Verizon's triple play bundle for a 1 year contract. There was no mention of a 2 year contract with DirectTV instead of the 1 year. I was assured by DirectTV around the same time that if I needed to cancel service, I would not be charged a cancellation fee.

In 2009, we were moving out of our apartment and when I went to cancel my service, they insisted that I enrolled in a 2 year contract. I told them that this should have been stated up front and they claim the technician told us about it (the technician installing the service at my house is not up front, it's after I already enrolled). The technician told us nothing, they simply shoved papers in our face and forced us to sign them without reading them.

DirectTV insists that this is my fault and that there's nothing that I can do if I didn't read the papers they gave me before the technician came (I didn't receive anything before the technician came) and they refuse to cancel or suspend my service.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/14/2009 08:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-TV/nationwide/Direct-TV-DirectTV-cancellation-fees-service-Internet-Nationwide-538962. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct TV

"Directv?" NO TV!

AUTHOR: Ceila - (USA)

The installation technician "forced" you to sign papers without first reading them?  I'm sorry.  I truly am!  However, unless the tech actually used some form of physical threat to you or your family such as holding a gun to your head, you were not "forced" into doing anything.  No matter how much pressure someone may attempt to put on you to sign something, you have the right and you are pretty much required to READ BEFORE SIGNING!  If anyone attempts to pressure you into signing something without reading it FIRST, in most cases this is a warning sign!  Each time someone has attempted to pressure me into signing something, 99% of the time when I read whatever it was they were so desperate for me not to read it, the document contained something I did not agree to.  ALWAYS READ, ESPECIALLY THE SMALL PRINT, BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING!  (And if anyone does physically threaten you into signing something, simply call the police IMMEDIATELY!)

I do agree with you in that Directv uses underhanded tactics.  Their "customer suppport" people tell HUGE lies and their service, well, I found it to be non existent!  During the short time I was with them, after I had signed up and they had installed it, I was treated VERY rudely.  I had to call them about one thing or another on an average of every other day!  I was without TV more than with it!  I called before my "Buyers Remorse" period was up and was threatened with ruining my credit, enormous fees (MUCH larger than was previously told to me), they simply attempted to frighten me into staying with them after I turned down their offer of a free month.  A free month of WHAT?  They failed to provide service to me for the majority of the time I had them so a free month of NO TV??  NO THANKS!!!  I am filing charges agaist them with the Attorney General, FCC, FTC.  There is NO WAY I will pay an early termination fee AND I will be reimbursed for 7 weeks of service which I had paid in the first place.

Good luck to you and PLEASE let us know what happens!!!

law suit

AUTHOR: Nancy - (U.S.A.)

I just heard on the news here in Seattle, that our Attorney General has filed a law suit against Direct TV.  Apparently,  his office got more complaints about direct tv than any other business.  Why not contact your attorney general and see if  he, or she, wants to sue too.