Complaint Review: Direct Tv

• Submitted: Sat, February 21, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, February 21, 2009

• Reported By:sinking spring Pennsylvania
Direct Tv
Po Box 6550 Nationwide U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-5315000
  • Web:
  • Category: Media

Direct Tv penalized me $171 for stopping service after 2 years on a bundling program with verizon Greenwood Village colorado

In 2006 I ordered a bundling service with Verizon (including internet, cell phone, home line and direct tv). At no time did I deal with, send payments or have any contact with direct tv. I was not told of any agreements (through Verizon) with Direct TV. All information I received was over the phone with Verizon.

After 2 years of service and a tv hook-up added to my home (wires were already there) Verizon's services and billing became eratic. I decided to cancel the bundling prgram with Verizon Upon contacting them I inquired if there would be a problem ending this service. They were great! They said, "No problem, No Penalities" and gave me a date to discontinue all services. The only thing that they asked me to do was to contact Direct TV and let them know of the shut off date.

Upon contacting Direct tv they told me I was breaking an agreement with them. I had to keep their service for another 18 months or pay a $171 penality. I told them I never dealt with them, that I only dealt with Verizon through a bundling program. I never received an agreement with Direct TV and informed them of my past 2 years of using the service. I asked why would I be charged a penality through them after using the bundling for 2 years?? I was told that as soon as I had another TV hook-up they changed my agreement. I tried to tell them I only dealt with Verizon and I knew nothing of any agreement with DirectTV. And asked how I could be committed for another 18 months. At no time did I receive any information about the first agreement, nor did the service man who hooked up my tv bring this to my attention. If they had, I would not have gotten the tv hook-up through them.

I was told to write a letter of dispute which I did. After more than ten phone calls (to Kim,Dillon,Ella,Miss Green,Apple,Bill, Evette, etc.) I was told to pay up or be penalized. What can I do?? Verizon will not do anything and told me this is a problem with Direct TV not them.

Just to show you the ABSURIDITY of the Tv Service for January:
---Discontinued Verizon Pay $160 for the last month servic
---Start-up of Comcast: Pay 275 for one month and start up
---Penality from Direect Tv: Pay $171 FOR THE NEXT 18 MONTHS OF NO SERVICE

Total for one month of TV service : $606

I'm on a fixed income and don't have the time or money to deal with all this. Please help, I really don't know what to do. I feel as if they are taking advantage of me.

susan
sinking spring, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2009 10:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-Tv/nationwide/Direct-Tv-penalized-me-171-for-stopping-service-after-2-years-on-a-bundling-program-with-426852. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct Tv