• Report: #319046

DirectBuy
2000 Stonington Avenue Hoffman Estates, Illinois United States of America

DirectBuy - Direct High Pressure Rip OFF Hoffman Estates Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Direct Buy Hoffman Estates

*Consumer Suggestion: DirectBuy contract says you cannot return items, cancel orders, or terminate your membership.

We have remodeled 3 older homes in our 30 years of marriage and built the current home brand new ground up, so I would consider us educated consumers when it comes to buying to remodel or build. Not to mention we are self employed as owners of a small manufacturing firm that deals in specialty woodworking.

We wanted to update our current home's kitchen and bath's since its 18 years old to make it more sellable in the current market. So we decided on getting granite or marble countertops all around, new double jacuzzi and maybe cabinets for the kitchen depending on costs. We went to a number of previously used sources for work we have done over the years and as recent as 2 - 3 years ago when we did hardwood floors in the whole house except for the foyer, hall and kitchen, baths. Our pricing knoweldge of the costs for what we needed were based on current prices and local companies which were a broad range for all the items.

Enter DirectBuy commericals we have been bombarded with so husband told me to email them and get a vistor's pass as they advertised he would be interested to see what savings there would be if we did counters and other items as well as all the cabinets in the kitchen and 2 of 3 baths. I had info from them rapidly and a call days later to set up our time for our visit and presentation. The lady calling me tried to force me into taking dates and times I did not want. I advised with our business we often work 7 days a week and days off happen.. there is no set schedule for us. She gave me a date I thought would work. Day before she called and I told her I was about to call to reschedule.. she was very angry and asked "why" I had to reschedule and I told her husband was out of town on business at last minute. She asked when he would be back I told her, she tried to make it for the very next day and I told her NO, call me in a week and then we could set up a date. We had to cancel a few times due to our business, she was relentless in badgering me to make an immediate appointment. I wanted to just blow the whole thing off but husband said OK this date/time and we will make sure we go. So I set it up and we went 2 weeks later.

2 days prior to the date I had call again from the woman to make sure we would be there this time and I said yes. Then she tried to convince me we needed to be there at least 30 - 45 minutes prior to our scheduled time and would not give me a reason why. I told her flatly we get there when we do.

I guess we took the commerical too literally and were looking for a large warehouse operation to find outselves in an office park center where about 60% of the buldings were empty with FOR LEASE OR SALE signs all over the place.. we found the address and it was only one rental unit in a larger building and tiny compared to what we were looking for, or so we thought. Parking was very limited and their snow removal sucked to be blunt about it.

Husband and i Looked at each other and said "this should be interesting"..

In the door and we were greeted by very overly aggressive sales people, I felt like bait on a hook being dangled in front of a shark.. everyone was high pitched, fast talking and very very pushy about everything. It was loud, noisey, cramped and uncomfortable. We were herded with the rest of the group for our time slot into the presentation room with the king of the hard sells as our focus. I had a hard time listening to him.. he was loud, abrasive and his hard sell pitch was just so obvious and obnoxious I wanted to leave - all my gut instincts about this place were big waving red flags. Husband smiled and said NO I want to hear all the BS they are pushing and then get the prize.. wanna bet just how expensive the memberfee is going to be ? $100 I said .. no he replied I think this one is going to be bigger.. end of hard sell presentation and a lot of BS that most of our group was obviousy NOT buying at all.. membership fee $4900 I had all I could to do not to laugh out loud. Husband mumbled to me.. that's even more than I had thought a LOT More than I had thought I was thinking $500 - 750 maybe butthese people are nuts.

We were "handled over" to our personal rep.. very nice very nice and very pushy.. husband asked politely ... we are looking to redo our big kitchen, can you quote me the per foot installed cost of both the granite and the marble counter tops to give me an idea and then we can take it from there on other things... she ignored him completely and started the push with completing the membership docs... he pushed them back at her and said again .. Can you quote me a basic cost .... she ignored him again and went back to the membership. He got up and said Thank you NO.. I have to leave we have a machine down at our business and its needs my attention, Goodbye and they tried to stop him at the door physically and he pushed past them and out the door.

Our Personal Rep grabbed my arm and said, why don't you tell hiim to come back when he's done and you can complete the paperwork for your end until he gets here. I smiled and never said a word, pushed past her and out the door. Got into the car and we looked at each other and started to laugh.. his comment what a farking ripoff and way to waste a sunday afternoon, do people really fall for that stuff ?

Week later he comes home from work and tells me he was talking with the owner of one of our suppliers. Man told him they did get a membership but their did an $80,000 remodel of their kitchen and then another $35000 for the 2 bathrooms - he said he recouped his 4900 membership since he paid it in full up front being able to afford it and he did get some decent savings on some stuff, but their customer service and shipping was horrid. All in all would he do it again, NO he said, but he could afford the loose, others might not. His sister in law, a widow got herself talked into joinging without asking him first about it.. she was now tied up in a long term high % rate loan to pay off for the membership and for what she needed it was defintely no savings for her and now she's stuck with this high interest loan.

Maybe some people think its great or beneficial but I think its one huge ripoff and so does everyone I've come across that have been to their open houses at this location as well.

Anita Prospect Heights, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/18/2008 01:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DirectBuy/Hoffman-Estates-Illinois-60185/DirectBuy-Direct-High-Pressure-Rip-OFF-Hoffman-Estates-Illinois-319046. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DirectBuy

AUTHOR: Anne Marie - (U.S.A.)

We have been members at this location for almost 10 years. The price when we joined was less than half what it is now. The owner of the place is very very very personable and nice to talk with. He explained the price change to my husband and me because we were shocked at the change, but his explanation makes sense. They had to raise their prices because of the telemarketing laws that changed, so they are no longer allowed to do cold calling. All of their advertising has increased dramatically because they had to turn to the media for advertising on radio/TV/publications/infomercials, etc. That's what drove up the cost of the membership, and each franchise has to pay for this advertising on a continuous basis. That's a corporate decision placed on the franchises.

As far as the staff at the Hoffman Estates location, they have been nothing but courteous, helpful and kind for all these years! No one ever grabbed at us or wouldn't let us out the door, even on the day of the sales presentation. We didn't get badgered relentlessly until we joined either. We were able to spend as much time talking alone with each other before we decided to give this a try. And, the owner of the place giving his sales presentation -- he DOES NOT have a loud voice, nor is he abrasive in any way, and is very respectful of any possible new clients that walk through his door, as well as staying respectful well after joining his business. I actually was very surprised to read that being said about him.

Now honestly throughout these past 10 years, we have not really saved a whole lot. We have not done any large renovations yet either. We will be doing a kitchen resdesign in the future, and will definitely price compare for that. As for the regular new home buyer, it probably isn't the best club to join because the other fees sometimes add up to the same amount you would pay in the store, and that includes delivery and installation then from the store. So we have opted not to purchase some items from Direct Buy just for that reason. However, it's nice to get a great comparison, because that helps us make a wiser purchasing choice. So for that, it's great. We have saved more than several thousand dollars though on our purchases. And the stuff they have available are all high quality designer items. Some of those prices you can't touch in the store, and get a great deal at Direct Buy. Everything we have purchased so far is name brand or designer.

I felt I had to make this rebuttal because I feel the complaints about the staff were exaggerated, and not really a fair and accurate complaint about the experience as a whole. The expense I understand, but the owner and staff are definitely not like what was mentioned. He thoroughly enjoys people, his business, and sales. Just from talking to him, it's obvious.

Since it doesn't cost anything to hear the presentation or walk in the door, everyone needs to decide for themselves whether or not it's a deal for them and their needs. So, basically, just give them a chance. In the end, you have the power to say NO yourself. Walking in the door with a wall up in front of you will definitely hinder any ability to make an informed choice whether or not to join. And I don't think they'll grab you to keep you from leaving the premises. That would be a lawsuit in the making, and the owner enjoys his business way too much to jeopardize his reputation.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Wilson - (U.S.A.)

Many people do not realize that many of the DirectBuy showrooms are franchise owned and thus the individual showroom owners can set their own membership prices. With the hundreds of complaints against DirectBuy and the existence of Home Depot, Lowes, Costco and Sam's Club, I do not know why anyone would want to become a member of DirectBuy and deal with the fees for membership and shipping. More importantly, Consumer Reports state that in DirectBuy's fine print, you cannot return items, cancel orders, or terminate your membership. .

There are 25 pages of consumer complaints against Direct Buy.

Read the amazing stories of high pressure sales and rude sales people.

The fine print in the DirectBuy contract says you cannot return items, cancel orders, or terminate your membership. When we asked if, after plunking down $5,000, we could cancel and get a refund, a salesperson said, You'll have to check state law. A review of New York state law revealed that the three-day cooling-off period for canceling contracts wouldn't apply in this case.

Tacked onto the cost of merchandise which you select from catalogs since DirectBuy has limited showrooms are a 6 percent handling fee, shipping fees, and tax. Goods are typically shipped only to your local center, so you might pay additional fees to actually get your new stuff home.

takes you to
takes you to

Q: Do I have to make a decision to become a DirectBuy member the day of the Open House?

A: Yes. Our manufacturers trust that we will not allow our showrooms to be used as public libraries where consumers can research a manufacturer's price and use that to try to negotiate with a retail store. For that reason, please understand that becoming a DirectBuy