Complaint Review: DirectTV

• Updated: Sun, July 31, 2011

• Reported By: Barb — Estacada Oregon United States of America
PO Box 6550 Greenwood Village, Colorado United States of America

DirectTV Charges for PPV after canceling service Greenwood Village, Colorado

We canceled our DirectTV service in June 2011, after fulfilling ouf 2 year contract.  At the time of cancelation, the representative confirmed that we would owe no further charges, as the contract was up.  We received the boxes to return the receivers, and received a refund from the company for $13.07 since we had canceled early in the month.

We then received a bill for $72.94 for PPV movies ordered on 7/7/09, 7/10/09, and 8/23/09.  When I called, I was told that these were "adult movies that were ordered through the remote, and since we didn't have a phone or internet connection to our DVR, there was no way to know about them until they got the card out of the returned receiver".  I was also told that once we hit our "limit" or once the receiver tried to contact DirectTV and was unable to, we would have been unable to continue to order through the receiver.  Apparently, they receiver tries to communicate once a month....oddly, though the charges above span a period of well over 31 days, so I don't buy any of their story.

I think it's a scam;  I don't even know if it's legal to charge for something that supposedly occurred over 2 years ago.  And it seems that all these claims are for "adult movies".....looks to us like they're trying to shame people into paying something that they shouldn't be responsible for.

I was told that the only way to dispute these charges is to write a letter to the billing dispute dept., which I'll be doing next.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2011 10:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DirectTV/Greenwood-Village-Colorado-80155/DirectTV-Charges-for-PPV-after-canceling-service-Greenwood-Village-Colorado-758825. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DirectTV