• Report: #769980

Complaint Review: DirectTV

  • Submitted: Sat, August 27, 2011
  • Updated: Sat, August 27, 2011

  • Reported By: tmcreynolds — Albuquerque New Mexico United States of America
DirectTV
Internet United States of America

DirectTV Burning HD DVR Internet, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Most consumer electronics has protection

What's this?
What's this?
What's this?
Is this
Ripoff Report
About you?
Ripoff Report
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
commitment to
customer satisfaction
Click here now..

Does your business have a bad reputation?
Fix it the right way.
Corporate Advocacy Program™

SEO Reputation Management at its best!

My DirectTV HD DVR stopped working yesterday while I was watching TV.  After a call to the 800 number it was decided I needed a new one; a refurbished unit is on its way.  Today, for some reason, the thing turned itself on, so I decided Id turn on the tv to see if there was a message; It said "Self Check."  I'm thinking "Great. It's decided to repair itself."  I stepped into another room and a couple minutes later smelled the most noxious smell of burning electrical wiring.  The DVR was smoking and the entire room was filled with smoke.  I disconnected it and took it outside.  OMG!  I called DirectTV and they didn't offer a solution and seemed unconcerned.  Could it have caused an electrical fire?  Since this has happened to other customers do you think we should contact a consumer protection group and report this potential safety hazard?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2011 03:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DirectTV/internet/DirectTV-Burning-HD-DVR-Internet-Internet-769980. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DirectTV

Search for additional reports

If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:

Search Tips
Report & Rebuttal
Respond to this report!
What's this?
Also a victim?
What's this?
Repair Your Reputation!
What's this?
REBUTTALS & REPLIES:
0Author 1Consumer 0Employee/Owner
Updates & Rebuttals

#1 Consumer Comment

Most consumer electronics has protection

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

against fire.

They use fuses, fusible resistors and transformers that internally open if damaged.

It's unlikely it presented any fire hazard, just the awful smell of electronic components meeting their demise.  CFL's can also do this, they're designed to self destruct without damage to surrounding areas.

I'll agree, the smell is really obnoxious, but it's likely just bakelite, a hi-temp insulator overheating.

Even you microwave oven,  under certain failure modes can smell the same and emit a fair amount of smoke, scary, but almost never dangerous.

I am a retired electronics technician and have experienced all these events in my career.

As long as items with fuses aren't over-fused, there's very little risk, if any.

If overfused, all bets are off.
Respond to this report!
What's this?
Report & Rebuttal
Respond to this report!
What's this?
Also a victim?
What's this?
Repair Your Reputation!
What's this?
X