Complaint Review: Directv

*Consumer Comment: dtv customer

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Some Inconsistencies

*Consumer Comment: I Disagree With Ex-employee

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: A Couple of Issues

On September 19th I had a prior balance of around $82.00. When I upgraded to the HDVR around November or December 2008 I paid DirecTV over $100 dollars for the top of the line $199 HDVR since I was a loyal customer. At know time during the conversation did the customer service rep. inform me that I was leasing this equipment. I didnt find that out until DirecTV greedy a$$e$$ wanted to bleed me dry for anything they could get. When the HDVR was installed the tech. came to my house. So Im thinking to connect the new box only to find out that I need an entirely different dish mounted on the house. My first dish is mounted on the edge of my roof but he told me that the new dish is to heavy and needed to be place on the flat surface of the roof. When I told him he couldnt drill holes in the roof he came up with a charge of $120 for a stand to mount the dish. So having this new HD TV that wasnt getting a clear picture with the old DirecTV box I agreed to pay him and called customer service to see if I could get a credit or something for a installation charge I was unaware Id have to make. After going back and forth with them I was told that if the tech. need more equipment to install that was between him and I. So I just said screw it. Then in November 2009 I got laid off from my job and around May of 2010 I was having trouble managing the bill with DirecTV after they raised the prices without informing me since I had gone paperless to save trees and the environment. Trust me going paperless with DirecTV is a way for them to justify screwing you because as I stated to the customer service rep. going paperless I get an email notification that my bill is ready and pay it. Which he said was my fault for not reading the bill by logging on to DirecTV and viewing my bill? So I had to admit he was right sneaky but right. But he didnt have an answer for why DirecTV didnt send out an email notification that my bill was going to change. Anyway he gave me $20 dollars worth of credits $10 for six month and another $10 for a year. But the funny thing is DirecTV doesnt honor those credits until your next bill is generated so Id always wait until the next bill to pay the first. Anyway like I said the service got cut off on September 19th with an outstanding bill of around $82.00. At the time of the disconnection the new bill had generated but because service was cut off I didnt feel I owed that. Now as I write this ripoff story my bill is $532.38. DirecTV is charging me $250 for non-return of equipment that I paid over $220 (HDVR $100 and the stand $120). $60 early termination charge when I was told that its $200 prorated by how much time is left on the contract, which $200 divided by 24 months, is $8.33333 but now Im to its $20 a month prorated from $480. $15 for a disconnection fee. $24.38 in taxes. An a .55 late charge. With a past due programming balance of $183.19, which I cant understand because, the day service was interrupted as they say and the balance was $82.00. DirecTV says they bill a month in advance. But if you add the $250, $60, $15, $24.38, $.55 and $183.19 that come out to $533.12. But they cant explain the -$.74 difference in their favor.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/30/2010 01:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Directv/internet/Directv-Blood-suckers-Internet-656894. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Directv

dtv customer

AUTHOR: Ohplease - (USA)

I have directv also & I also have paperless billing but the privacy policy & notices still come in the mail.  They are sneaky & if you don't read it directv will get one over on you.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Some Inconsistencies

AUTHOR: Carie - (U.S.A.)

First off, I refer you back to the 1st paragraph I wrote. All equipment "purchased" at a dealer is leased, with the noted exception. This is one of the reason Directv no longer allows lease upgrades through stores like Costco and Best Buy - because the retailer has done a poor job of communicating this to the customer.

You said you upgraded to a HDDVR through Directv.  No mention of your daughter or Best Buy. You also said that you paid Directv $100 for the $199 DVR, again this was not done through Best Buy.

So while I am glad that this got resolved to your satisfaction your original post did not seem to contain all the facts you are now claiming.

I Disagree With Ex-employee

AUTHOR: S.n. - (U.S.A.)

My daughter purchased a system via Best Buy. We were told by DirecTV that our original equipment wasn't working and needed to be replaced. It wasn't the equipment. It was lousy service. I canceled DirecTV and signed up for a different service. At that time, DirecTV demanded the new equipment be returned to them. There was NOTHING in any paperwork that indicated DirecTV owned the new equipment. It was purchased by my daughter, appropriate sales tax was paid and I refused to turn over the equipment to them. I offered to send them the equipment they said was no good but they didn't want that. They sent me a bill for the equipment and a cancellation fee (I had used their service for over 5 years) and when I refused to pay, they slapped it on my credit report. I made copies of all information, correspondence, etc. and sent it to the state AG's office. It was immediately removed from my credit report and DirecTV responded to the AG that I didn't owe them a dime. Check your paperwork if you purchased any equipment for use with DirecTV. It may be yours. The same goes for that "early" cancellation fee. DirecTV is notorious for attempting to collect money not owed to them.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

A Couple of Issues

AUTHOR: Carie - (U.S.A.)

First off any receiver that you get from Directv or any retailer is LEASED, with the exception of the PRO model of HDDVR. Every leased receiver has a commitment, and needs to be returned if the receiver is deactivated or the service is canceled. There may be OWNED receivers out there for sale, but always check with Directv before "buying" one.

When you upgraded to HD, it sounds like you were well aware of the costs. When the tech told you about the extra $ to mount the dish you accepted. So I don't understand complaining about it 2 years after the fact.

Directv's bill went up in February of 2010 by an average of $3-5 and they should have notified you. If you had problems keeping the service, you could have changed your programming, but they offered you $180 in discounts over the course of a year for what would have been at most a $60 increase. I really don't see how this is "screwing" you.

You are being charged a non return fee for the HDDVR - return it, that will knock $250 + tax off your bill.

The $60 is the correct prorated cancelation fee ($20x3 months not completed)

The $15 is a non pay disconnect fee. Meaning you allowed your account to be shut off. In hindsight you probably should have called to see what could have been done for you. If you had called to cancel service you would have been told about returning the HDDVR and the cancelation fee.

Good luck with this.