Complaint Review: Directv

• Reported By:Glencoe Kentucky
Directv
www.directv.com Internet U.S.A.

Directv Potential Directv Customers BEWARE!! Internet

*UPDATE Employee: you should pay the debt

*UPDATE Employee: not necessarily a rebuttal

*Author of original report: Get your money back!!

Directv stole $221.25 from me. I recently moved to a new location and decided to go with satelite instead of cable. After researching prices and program options I decided to go with Directv. I gave them my full information. I new that my wife had a previous bill several years ago during a time which we wasn't even together but I asked in advance how that would affect me. The one I was speaking to said that it was no longer in their system, that they had no report of any debt under my wifes name, and that it would not affect me what so ever. They stated that the $221.25 was merely charges for the equipment. They charged my card $221.25 then set up a time for installation. That time came and went and Directv never showed. When I called, they told me that due to my wifes previous bill they could not refund my money nor provide services. They said that they would either apply that money to the balance or hold it until I paid the debt. I argued and after two weeks of calls with supervisors they said that they would refund the money two days later. That is now another week later. I called again and was told that they had no record of me wanting the money back and that they would put in a "Request" but that it would have to go through their channels and it would take at least 8 weeks. I feel I was treated unfairly because of the choices someone else has made. Directv has lost what would have been a loyal customer. And all over $151.14 that SOMEONE ELSE owes.

Rac121949
Glencoe, Kentucky

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/13/2009 08:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Directv/internet/Directv-Potential-Directv-Customers-BEWARE-Internet-434058. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Directv

you should pay the debt

AUTHOR: Lovin' Life - (U.S.A.)

i work for directv in customer service, i don't handle the billing but i have worked in collections for many years and the other directv employee is correct...if directv gave service to you and your wife, they would be giving someone service who owes them money and didn't pay it. when you are married you share the debt...whether you find it to be fair or not.

not necessarily a rebuttal

AUTHOR: Vance - (U.S.A.)

If the account was in your name and not hers I'm wondering how DirecTV linked her old account and your new one... I work for billing/collections for DirecTV and some customer service and I know our corporate office links duplicate accounts by address/phone number/social security #. If your wife's information was used at all or the addresses were the same then I could see why they would do that. I understand you're upset over your wife's previous debt causing this and I don't mean disrespect but if you married her you legally assume shared responsibilities for finances/debts even previously owed.. So I think YOU personally were done wrong but not by DirecTV, but by your wife. She rightfully owes DirecTV and therefore should take care of it but I think you got screwed over in this.

I'd yell at her, not DirecTV. Technically by giving you service they'd be giving her service after she has a previous debt with them. You might as well get her to pay it anyway so it won't destroy her credit (and ultimately your options for the future).

Get your money back!!

AUTHOR: Rac121949 - (U.S.A.)

I was told that when a company owes money to a customer that the customer has every right to bill them for the amount owed PLUS interest. In the event that the company does not pay, keep adding interest (in the amount legal for your state), after the legal number of days required by your state has passed, file charges with your local county clerk. This is called theft by deception. Directv may even be held accountable for other charges that you have been charged, such as, overdraft fees. In some cases you may be able to post your story in local papers or contact the media.