Complaint Review: Directv

• Submitted: Mon, February 28, 2011
  • Updated: Mon, March 14, 2011

• Reported By: steelmagnolia615@aol.com — Morgantown Kentucky United States of America
Directv

El Segundo, CA 90245
Website: http://www.directv.com
Phone: (800) 531-5000

Complaint Text

I got service, I have it installed by one of their "professional" installers.
Within a month, we have a problem with the equipment. They have to send someone
out to fix this issue. That issue got fixed, and then our whole home DVR stopped
working mysteriously. We called in on 3 separate occasions, my wife emailed
once. Ironically, the couldn't locate but one phone call and the one email. They
said they had no record of any other phone calls. I have gone through the
resetting my device, they have resent signal to the box, and nothing helped. On
the last phone call they decided to inform me that they could send someone out
on a service call, but it would cost me $49.95. Now, here is my problem, I asked
for credit for the last  months that I had been paying for whole room DVR that I
hadn't been able to utilize. The CSR I talked to put me through to a supervisor.
He told me that he could give me one month credit because of the showing one
phone call and one email. I also asked why it would cost me for their faulty
equipment to be fixed. He couldn't give me an answer, however he did give me a
rebuttal of "We have a protection plan that will cost you" I told him that
seemed like a way to get more money from me, as if I had been offered that
"protection plan" when the contract was signed, or even after the 1st equipment
problem repair trip, I would have purchased it. I was not offered this until it
was a big problem.

Resolution Sought: I would like to be reimbursed the $3 a month for the whole
time we have had service, and no cost service call or I would like to be let out
of my contract so I may go somewhere else that offers a protection plan up
front.
Date Problem Started: 11/2/2010
Date of Transaction:
Amount in Dispute: $0.00
Invoice Number:
Complaint Type: Customer Service Issues
Product or Service: Cable/Satellite TV

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/28/2011 03:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Directv/internet/Directv-satellite-cable-tv-Internet-700945. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Directv

#1 General Comment

No such thing as a free lunch

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

As an installer the biggest complaint I have . Is that hardly no one READS the CONTRACT. I don't know why this is. The other is thing is everyone expects something for nothing.
              Directv installer is only required to give a 90 day install warranty. Dish dealers are required to give a 6 month install warranty . I give a one year warranty on my installs and put it in writting.  I once had a customer tell me he didn't give a rats ass if he got a warranty.
              Dont get me wrong that some of you were lied too.   But why is it you can fill out an online complaint. But you can't research online and call around. Not that you can still get taken advantage of. Plus read the contract and if you didnt understand it. Then I wouldn't have signed it. I dont make my customer sign until I'm done with a job and they're happy.
              I'm not one who believes the customer is always right. The customer is right when they are , the dealer is right when they are and the manufacturer is right when they are. That as a tech even when I believe the customer is wrong. That I make every effort to address their concerns.
              But when the customer only concern themselves . With getting the equipment for free and not wanting to read the contract . Then who's fault is that.
              I read an article a while back. Where Time warner cable was going to offer their customers and bundled service for a 189.00 a month . The customer would get 24 hr on call service tech and a personal customer service rep. If you want the truth the cable industry as a whole is a mess. I don't  see it getting better any time soon.
              The service plan I find out from a customer recently. That Directv  now charges 5.99 a month for their service plan.  According to Directv then a service call is 40.00 . But another customer told me he was quoted 54.00 for a service call. Funny I don't charge a monthly fee and only charge 60.00 for a service call.
               Decmeber 2010 Directv was sued by 50 State Attorney generals Offices and had to pay a fine of over 13 million. But i dont know who that is going to help you out. Unless you call your State Attorney Generals Office.