Complaint Review: Directv

• Reported By:summerfield Florida
Directv
directv.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Directv Directv, deceptive and unethical practices! Online internet

*Author of original report: Directv, highway robbery!

*Consumer Suggestion: your fault for not reading contract

*Consumer Comment: where's the "thievery"?

Directv has the most unethical practices of a scam I've ever seen in my life! Being a constant researcher, (i do this for fun,) I reviewed directv's policies.

First things first. I got directv in july of 2008 and was happy with their services. Now, I am moving to college, where DTV isn't allowed, so i called to cancel my services. There was an early termination fee as per the customer agreement of 20/month of no service which i already knew of because I read the contract.

But, here's the kicker, if you fail the credit check where a deposit is required, in my case, $200.00, they had said to me, contrary to their own agreement, that they basicly have the right to steal my deposit and charge me a cancelation fee at the same time. This is extortion if i've ever seen it!! The early termination fee is understandable, but not the thievery of my initial deposit to them!!! Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them? If so, how can i persue an amicable resolution? I don't want to take them to arbitration, but I will if I must. Oh, and the whole deposit thing can be found on section 7(B) of their customer agreement, which they refuse to follow.

Jordan
summerfield, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/15/2009 09:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Directv/nationwide/Directv-Directv-deceptive-and-unethical-practices-Online-internet-412336. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Directv

Directv, highway robbery!

AUTHOR: Jordan - (U.S.A.)

So you truly mean to tell me they can take 150.00 and hit me with a 200.00 cancelation charge?? Uh, that's thievery to me! Not even cel phone companies do this. Some may not consider it stealing, but it's double-dipping and it's deceptive and wrong. Now, i just got an email stating their increasing their prices in these tough economic times, shameful. Why not lower the prices, or provide packages to the more budget-conscious among us? There's the family package for 19.95, but the very next package is 55.00. There's other companies that are less strengent on their packages.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

your fault for not reading contract

AUTHOR: D K - (U.S.A.)

The terms of the contract would have stated that if you cancel contract early, you forfeit your deposit. You were not ripped off, you just did not pay attention.

where's the "thievery"?

AUTHOR: Mommy Of 2 - (U.S.A.)

there is nothing that directv has done wrong here. you failed the credit check and paid your deposit and if you kept your account in good standing, you would be getting it back in monthly payments after you had the account active so long. you decided to cancel the contract and that caused you to forfeit the deposit. it is separate from the early termination fee and you are not getting that deposit back if you don't fulfill your contract. i work at directv and i don't see anything directv has done wrong here. you didn't do enough research here.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC