Complaint Review: Disadvantaged Handicapped Workers of America

• Updated: Fri, June 15, 2012

• Reported By: Worn down — North Hollywoodn California United States of America
Disadvantaged Handicapped Workers of America
PO Box 59048 Los Angeles, California United States of America

Disadvantaged Handicapped Workers of America DHWA Scammed, Badgered, Threatened, Ripped off Los Angeles, California

I got a call saying I had an outstanding bill due from Dec. 2009, that was going to an external collection company at 5 PM that day unless I paid it. This was 6/14/12. I argued with him that how could this be that now one had contacted me over all that time, but now, suddenly, I have to pay for something that I did not order?!

I also asked why, in 2 1/2 years an invoice was not sent to me? He told me the invoice was in the package. "The package that I didn't order, and that I didn't receive?" He said they have a postal receipt for it, and that I had been called about it. I said that I had NEVER received any voice messages about any past due bills, and that I think this is all a scam.

Then he sort of starts to rush me, and says, "fine, don't pay it. You can pay it later in court, with 28 months of late fees, and all the court fees too. I don't care. I have to get back to work." Then he mentions that that will probably be thousands of dollars.

I said I had ordered some pepper spray probably back in 2003, but had never ordered it again, and didn't think I had ordered anything from them in many many years. After much rudeness on his part, I finally submitted. What they claimed I had ordered for $45.99 ended up costing me $135.98.

The next day I called my credit card to see if I could dispute it. She said only if I had tried to get my money back from the company, so she called them with me on the phone. I talked with the head supervisor. She told me that she would refund my money and turn the bill over to external collections, and that I could pay their court costs and all those late fees on top of the original price.

Once again, I tell her that I did not order this. She tells me then that I shouldn't pay it, and go explain myself in court, and pay all those fees. (interesting how they both kept mentioning that) Then she tells me she has me on tape placing the order (and I am wondering if that is from the really old order in 2003-or however long ago it was).

I argue with her about not being notified at all till the day they send it to collections, and she tells me they had 4 NC's (I guess that's calls-no messages left) in 2010! Four times in the first year they claim to have tried to contact me by phone only, and not once in the following 18 months!

If this were for real, it doesn't sound to me like they want their money very badly. Anyway, I told her to keep my money, because if they were going to play an old tape from an order 9 years ago, how could I disprove that? And, I don't have any of my records back that far, because I shredded them last year.

I know the gal from my credit card felt bad for me, cause she put me on hold after DHWA had hung up, but when she came back, apologized for not finding another way to be able to help me. She heard the whole conversation and it was clear she didn't think any of this was right either.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/15/2012 10:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Disadvantaged-Handicapped-Workers-of-America/Los-Angeles-California-90059/Disadvantaged-Handicapped-Workers-of-America-DHWA-Scammed-Badgered-Threatened-Ripped-of-898305. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Disadvantaged Handicapped Workers of America