Complaint Review: Discount Book Sale - Smart Savings Center

• Updated: Sat, November 14, 2009

• Reported By: Adele — Bryan Texas United States of America
Discount Book Sale - Smart Savings Center
Boca Raton, Florida United States of America

Discount Book Sale - Smart Savings Center Discount Book Sales Internet scam Boca Raton, Florida

It is too bad that I did not check the name of this company before I ordered the nicely discounted book on the internet.  I did receive a good book quickly at a good price.  That is all I wanted.  I had not intention of becoming a member of any discount club.  Somehow these crooks convinced Discover Card that I did.

Fortunately I checked my Discover Card bill in time to see a mysterious charge of $19.95 a day after the charge for the book I ordered.  I called the number given and got someone (probably in Nevis) reading from a script in answer to my questions.  She was difficult to understand but did inform me that she would cancel my membership but could not refund the $19.95 because I did not cancel in a timely fashion.  I finally hung up on her and contacted Discover Card.

The card company promptly credited my account while they investigated.  Then I found another $19.95 charge.  This time it was from Discount Book Sales.  I e-mailed Discover Card again and they credited my account pending investigation.

I thought how lucky I was to have taken care of it.  Wrong.  Now Discover Card has reposted the charges claiming the company acknowledged having a "receipt" from me.  I have no such copy of any receipt.

I have asked Discover Card if my only recourse is to cancel my card.  So far they have not answered that question.

I have also now e-mailed the Florida Attorney General with my complaint, hoping that it will help someone else it not me.

Of course I have spent far more time than it is worth to defeat the bogus $40 charges made so far.  I just hope that is the end of it.

Please e-mail everyone you know to alert them to this fraudulent company, whoever they are.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/14/2009 03:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discount-Book-Sale-Smart-Savings-Center/Boca-Raton-Florida-33481/Discount-Book-Sale-Smart-Savings-Center-Discount-Book-Sales-Internet-scam-Boca-Raton-F-523711. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discount Book Sale - Smart Savings Center

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC